Investment download error

When I download my investment transaction from Fidelity, there is just one mutual fund that doesn't reflect as a purchase and doesn't reflect from the cash balance. It then shows as an imbalance between shares reported and shares reflected in Quicken. The transaction looks identical to other transactions, so I see no reason why it would be doing this on just this one mutual fund. All other transactions reflect correctly.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

I do not know why the same thing happens with manually entered transactions.  What I’ve been posting in this thread is what Quicken Support and Quicken Help have said are the two causes of this “N/A” issue and what I've seen written in other post threads on this subject in Quicken Community. BTW, my own observations of this issue have also pointed to these two causes.  I suppose there could be other cause(s) of this issue that Quicken doesn’t know about and that I and others haven’t previously observed (it certainly wouldn't be the first time that has happened) but before I start heading down that path I usually try to troubleshoot for the known causes first. 

If the two known causes of this type of issue are ruled out, then I would probably first try doing Validate & Repair to see if that resolves the issue.   

If that fails, I would probably unistall Quicken and then reinstall it to see if that fixes it.

If all these fail, the next step I would probably take is to contact Quicken Support for assistance.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2021
    Is the MF in question a Money Market Fund (MMF)?
    If it is, it could be your Core Account (CA) which is usually a MMF but it might also be a cash sweep account.  You can confirm this in your online account on the Positions tab.  The CA security will usually be listed at the top of the Positions list and will have ** following the ticker.  The default CA security used by Fidelity is SPAXX** but there are a few other MMF options available.
    Let me know if the MF is your CA MMF and which MMF that is.  Then I will be able to offer some suggestions on what you can do to ensure your Fidelity account in Quicken and as downloaded by Fidelity are in agreement.
    If it is not your CA MMF, which MF is causing the issue?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Besides being a SU here, I'm also a client of Fidelity's "Private Client Group'.
    So, with the add'l info requested by @Boatnmaniac, we can probably get this figured out pretty quickly.
    BTW, in my taxable brokerage account, I have the "Show Cash in a checking account" feature turned on ...  so that all of the cash transactions in that account are displayed in a separate account that acts like a regular checking account ...  even if it doesn't really exist.
    In my retirement type accounts, I just show the cash as Cash.  Which is much simpler than tracking all of the buy and sell transactions on and MMF whenever I do something in those accounts.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• TruthBeTold
    TruthBeTold Member
    I'm confident that my quicken account is set up correctly. This is a recent issue when I started purchasing FBGRX starting in February. I have been making purchases on about 7 mutual funds weekly, and all purchases subtract from my cash balance except for this mutual fund. The cash amount shows as N/A. I compare it to the other purchase transactions and there is no difference with the other purchases.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken simply processes what ever transactions the financial sends in the download so I wonder if something in the downloaded information being sent by Fidelity is at fault here.
    If you can, you might take a look at that.  Help > Log Files > OFX Log
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2021
    I'm confident that my quicken account is set up correctly. This is a recent issue when I started purchasing FBGRX starting in February. I have been making purchases on about 7 mutual funds weekly, and all purchases subtract from my cash balance except for this mutual fund. The cash amount shows as N/A. I compare it to the other purchase transactions and there is no difference with the other purchases.
    Thanks for confirming that this is not a Fidelity CA MMF issue. 
    Two things come to mind (be sure to backup your data file before proceeding in case something goes wrong):
    1) Does the transaction show in your account register as BoughtX instead of Bought?  BoughtX transactions are those where the cash to buy the security came from an outside source, not from the cash balance of the account.  If this is the case, then the cash amount of the transaction would show as N/A. 
    If the cash used to buy the security actually did come from the account's cash balance, then this would indicate that what Fidelity downloaded had incorrect transaction data in it. 
    To correct this you can try to edit the transaction to change it from a BoughtX to a Buy transaction, making sure that the cash used is taken from the cash balance of the account. 
    If you cannot edit the transaction like this, you could manually enter a new Buy transaction for it and then delete the BoughtX transaction.
    2)  Another possibility is that the transaction in question is a placeholder transaction, either unresolved or resolved, that may have been originally created because the original transaction did not download from Fidelity and Quicken then created the placeholder to compensate for that.  Placeholder transactions will not affect the cash balance of the account, even when it has been resolved, so the cash amount would show as N/A. 
    If it is an unresolved or resolved placeholder transaction you can try manually entering a new buy transaction for it into your account, making sure the cash to buy FBGRX is taken from the account's cash balance, and then deleting the placeholder transaction that is causing the N/A issue.
    Do either of these resolve your issue?

• TruthBeTold
    TruthBeTold Member
    No, the transaction just shows as Bought. I did some testing and entered new transactions myself for FBGRX and the same thing happens. The amount is N/A., so it's not subtracting from my balance. I entered a transaction for Contrafund and it subtracted from my cash balance. Why would it just be happening on this one mutual fund?
  • TruthBeTold
    TruthBeTold Member
    Disregard. I just found another fund that it did it on.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2021
    OK, if it is not the BoughtX issue then I think it is most likely a Placeholder issue. 
    Below the Account Register should be 3 tabs:
    • Downloaded Transactions
    • Bill and Income Reminders
    • Placeholder Entries
    If you do not see these tabs, update your Investment transactions Preferences (under the Edit menu) to make sure that the box for Show hidden transactions is checked and then click OK.  Then go back to the Account Register and you should see them.  (Note:  You might need to switch to a different account and then go back to the investment account to refresh the view so the tabs are visible.)
    I suspect that if you click on the Placeholder Entries tab you will find a list of Placeholders that Quicken has generated.  And since your Investment Transactions Preferences have been updated to Show Hidden Transactions these Placeholders will now be visible in the Account Register, as well. 
    Any/all Placeholders will need to be resolved in order to fix the issue.  If you find any Placeholders you might want to review the following Support article: How do I resolve placeholder entries? [Product Help]
    Let me know whether or not this resolves the issue.

• TruthBeTold
    TruthBeTold Member
    I am familiar with placeholders. Why would it do the same thing on an entry I manually inputted? Also, on those particular transactions the section for Use cash from this transaction: From this account's cash balance or I can select another account, is not there, but it is on the other "normal" transactions.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

I do not know why the same thing happens with manually entered transactions.  What I’ve been posting in this thread is what Quicken Support and Quicken Help have said are the two causes of this “N/A” issue and what I've seen written in other post threads on this subject in Quicken Community. BTW, my own observations of this issue have also pointed to these two causes.  I suppose there could be other cause(s) of this issue that Quicken doesn’t know about and that I and others haven’t previously observed (it certainly wouldn't be the first time that has happened) but before I start heading down that path I usually try to troubleshoot for the known causes first. 

If the two known causes of this type of issue are ruled out, then I would probably first try doing Validate & Repair to see if that resolves the issue.   

If that fails, I would probably unistall Quicken and then reinstall it to see if that fixes it.

If all these fail, the next step I would probably take is to contact Quicken Support for assistance.

This discussion has been closed.