Lately (several months) I have to re-enter User password multiple times during single session.

What gives? Why is the user authentication not a seamless passthrough to Quicken Server? Prior experience I entered my user ID and password only once to launch desktop application and that authentication was seamlessly passed through to Quicken Server and I did not have to re-enter again Qicken Server or again to perform On Step Update.
Now, I frequently have to re-enter my password after launching application and then again to access Quicken Server and then again when I initiate One Step Update. That is three times during single session that I am forced to re-enter user password. Admittedly This happens intermittently but it happens very frequently and is becoming annoying and demishing this user's experience with Quicken
PC System: Win10 Home, ver, 20H2, OSbuild 19042.789
Quicken: 2020, ver. R31.12, build 27.131.12
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Robert Sheran

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Given the amount of time this is happening and the frequency-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Hello @Robert Sheran

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

If you have not done so already, I would try to sign out and back into the program and see if this improves the frequency that you are being asked to sign in.
    1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID and Cloud Accounts
    2. Click sign in as a different user
    3. Type "yes" to sign out
    Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    are you using a VPN or a corporate firewall or some other setting that keeps changing your IP address? Are you WiFi - connected and moving from one connection to another during your session?
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    UKR- no vpn, corporate firewall, changing IP, or changing WiFi hubs. Internet connection via Comcast XFinity is stable and no Firewall changes have be implemented by user. thanks for your reply
    Tyka- The recommended action is concerning. The problem I am experiencing is intermittent not persistent. Please provide more detail how this action might correct intermittent failure with handshake between Desktop application and Quicken server at login and One Step Update action. Thanks for your reply
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you using the same password, for the Quicken User ID and its password and the One Step Update, Vault Password?

The Quicken User ID and its password, does not intact between entering the Quicken User ID and its password and the Vault Password that you enter for One Step Update.

It is not the same as before when Intuit owned Quicken. The Passwords can be different, which is why you need to enter the Vault Password again, if you happened to close Quicken and re-open Quicken.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that is confusing to me is exactly what passwords are being discussed.
    Possible passwords:

Quicken Id password:

Password on the data file:

Password on the Password Vault:

Password on modifying older transactions:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_PQW & thecreator: I use same password for Local Desktop Quicken data File, and One Step Update Vault, and Quicken ID.

In past, when I launch the local Quicken App Data File I enter PW to start Quicken Data File session, I would not get second popup window requiring me to re-enter my Quicken ID password again before the Data File would open.

I am accustom to re-entering my Vault password to start On Step Update once the Data File opens, and this step is not an issue for me.

The issue I am trying to explain now is that recently (starting sometime in Dec 2020) after entering my password to start local Quicken Data File, I am intermittently getting another Quicken popup window to re-enter my Quicken ID password before the Quicken Data File will open. Note, this popup does not require entering my Quicken ID, I just have to re-enter my Password.

Again the occurrences are intermittent but frequent enough to be annoying. I suspect the issue is within the interface data transfer handshake between local data file app and Quicken's server.

Is this explanation making sense? I don't know how else to explain.
    Thanks for your reply
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hello @Robert Sheran

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Given the amount of time this is happening and the frequency-- It may be best for you to contact Quicken Support instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done in order to have this successfully resolved. They also have the ability to screen share with you (if you feel comfortable doing so) and will be better equipped to help you accomplish and set up what you need.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your replies. I will consider contacting tech support
  • Robert Sheran
    Robert Sheran Member ✭✭✭
    Just as followup, the login/authentication issue, spontaneously (without any intervention by myself) resolved itself within days of my Prior post 2/9.
This discussion has been closed.