Check Pay not compatible with Fidelity checking accounts

Options
I used Quicken and Billpay for many years with a Fidelity checking account. When we had to convert to the new Check Pay utility I then started having problems matching checks after downloading my activity from Fidelity. I contacted Fidelity and after they researched the problem, they pointed out that Billpay used 4 digit check numbers and now Check Pay uses 6 digit check numbers. Apparently, Quicken never told Fidelity to expect 6 digits, so check number 090101 appears as 101 within Fidelity, and when downloaded into Quicken, so I then have to match it manually, which is a waste of time for every check. While Fidelity works to revise their systems, I wanted to have Check Pay use a different check number series (ex. 009101) which would allow checks to match in Quicken, but Quicken Support said that is not currently possible. Any ideas? I'm starting to look elsewhere for a bill pay service.

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @Chris J.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, can you please open Quicken and navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release. Also, from the same menu please choose Report a Problem as this is an unusual issue and this is the first report that I have personally seen.

To verify we are talking about the correct service. Are you using the new Quicken Bill manager service or Bank Bill Pay? If you are unsure, I would take a moment to review the information available here.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As an FYI, I use Fidelity's FREE billpay service rather than Quicken's. 
    While I can't input those transactions thru Q and have them upload to Fidelity, the price more than compensates for that minor inconvenience as I log into Fidelity at least once a day anyway.
    Additionally, Fidelity doesn't debit my account until the check actually clears ... unlike MANY other billpay sites.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris J.
    Chris J. Member ✭✭
    Options
    @NotACPA, thanks for your suggestion. Actually, I do the same thing for my personal account as you do. However, Fidelity's billpay service is not available on business accounts, so that is why I've used Quicken services so far. I didn't point out that this situation was for a business acct vs. personal acct.
  • Chris J.
    Chris J. Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello @Chris J.
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.
    >
    > First, can you please open Quicken and navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release. Also, from the same menu please choose Report a Problem as this is an unusual issue and this is the first report that I have personally seen.
    >
    > To verify we are talking about the correct service. Are you using the new Quicken Bill manager service or Bank Bill Pay? If you are unsure, I would take a moment to review the information available here.
    >
    > Please let me know!
    >
    > -Quicken Tyka

1) I'm using Quicken Premier 2020 for Windows. Version: R31.20

2) I called tech support and opened a ticket #. They suggested I post in this community. I'll also go ahead and Report a Problem via the software.

3) I'm using the new (as of Aug/Sep 2020) Quicken service "Quick Pay / Bill Pay", but of course the issue is just with Bill Pay, which generates paper checks, vs. Quick Pay's electronic payments.

Thanks @Quicken_Tyka for your interest in helping me.
  • Charley911
    Charley911 Member
    Options
    I am having the exact same problem as Chris J. The simple solution would be for quicken to go back to the previous process of allowing us to select our starting check number or doing as Chris J. suggested and start with 00901. This seems to be a simple solution for what is a painful problem for those of us that bank with Fidelity. Also, I have reported this issue several times through "Report a Problem" but the only response that I have received is an eMail stating "We have tried to contact you but failed so the issues is being reported as resolved". In each case, if they tried to contact me I do not know how!!! No eMails, no missed calls and no voice Messages.

I must add that I have been using Quicken since it first came out in the late 1980"s and have had every version since. I have loved quicken over the years, but since you separated from Intuit and more specifically since you moved to SaaS and the frequent updates as well as completely changing your bill pay process your product has been very buggy and much more difficult to use.

Please help us with the check number issue.

Charley911
This discussion has been closed.