Duplicate bill reminders in the calendar

I am seeing duplicate bill/income reminders in the calendar (not the one in bills and income, the other calendar) and in the projected balances. Not all reminders are duplicated, just some. Some of the duplicated reminders are listed 15 times in one day. Projected balances are being calculated using the duplicated amounts.
I've seen other discussions on this issue but no solutions yet.
I've submitted a ticket weeks ago but have not seen a fix yet either.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this issue?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @John McClure,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, I suggest you try to Validate your data file by following the steps below. However, I do recommend that you also Save a backup of your data file first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Validate and Repair...
    4. Select Validate file
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    You can also try to Super validate by holding down the Ctrl + Shift keys on your keyboard while selecting Validate and Repair... (step 3) which will give you the option to Super validate file instead of Validate file.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• John McClure
    John McClure Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Quicken Anja !
    Thank you very much for the response! Sorry I forgot to include my Quicken version. Here it is: year 2020 Version: R31.20 Build: 27.1.31.20

I completed the steps you suggested(backed up and ran validate and repair) and it sort of fixed the issue.
    The duplicate reminders have been deleted. yes!!
    but....
    Now, in bills and income, and in the calendars, there are 100 or so past due reminders with values of zero. These go back to August 2020.

Also, one of the previously duplicated transactions was a paycheck, which included split transactions(taxes, insurance, xfers to 401k etc) . Now, when I go the register and hover over the transaction the split amounts "pop up." But when I open the transaction all the amounts of the splits are zero. I checked the xfer in the receiving quicken account, and it is in the register but if I select "go to transfer," I'm told it no longer exists. This problem appears in these paychecks starting from November 2020.

Any suggestions? Should I restore the back-up file and try the super validate?

Thank you, again!

John
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the update and additional information, though I apologize for the delay in my response.

In that case, yes I do suggest restoring the backup and trying a Super Validate instead. However, should that still not resolve all the issues, then I suggest you create a copy of your data file in an attempt to rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. Then, try to Validate your data file in the copied file by following the steps below. Make sure you also save another backup again first before trying these steps (just in case).
    1. Navigate to the File menu
    2. Select File Operations
    3. Copy...
    4. Leave the presets as is and click OK
    5. Wait for the copy procedure to complete
    6. Select New Copy and click OK                                                                              
    Once the newly copied file opens, navigate back to the File menu and try the Validate/Super Validate steps again in the copied file.

If this does not resolve the issue, you can either switch back to your original file or restore the backup you saved prior to performing the above troubleshooting instructions (both the original and backup files should remain unaffected by the steps performed in the copied file).

Follow the steps below to switch back to your original file
    :
    1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• John McClure
    John McClure Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you Anja! And sorry for my late response too. I think we are busy!

In the mean time: After I ran the original validation, and noticed the zero value past due reminders, I tried to revert back to the original file, but the original file but the reminders remained, and I manually deleted them.
    So now all that remains is my issue with the missing "splits" in the paychecks.
    I'll try your suggestion above, and let you know what happens.

Thanks again !
  • John McClure
    John McClure Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Anja!

I ran the super validate and it worked temporarily.
    After I ran it, the duplicate reminders were deleted. The log file mentioned it found damaged reminders and removed them.

Afterwards, there were some reminders that were old, with no value and no "subject." So I deleted them manually.

Then this morning one of my reminder transfers was duplicated, 8 times. I ran the super validate again, which fixed the problem. Again, I had to delete some old, past due, zero value reminders.

The other remaining issue is the paycheck which splits have been removed, even though they pop up when you hover over the transaction. I'm afraid I may need to re-enter those manually.

Do you have any further thoughts on this issue?

Thank you again for all your help!---John
  • Quicken Anja
    @John McClure Thanks for the update and additional information.

Before moving forward with further troubleshooting, if you don't mind, may I ask if these issues that occurred after validating happened in the copied file or in the original file?

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• John McClure
    John McClure Member ✭✭✭
    Hi Anja!,

The current issue with duplicates have occurred after the validation and to the copied file.

Thank you again!

John
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @John McClure

Thank you for the response and the additional details, although I apologize that the trouble continues to persist.

Two things that I would check would first, be the location of the data file. Do you store the active data file in a cloud or network drive?

Next, I would check to see if you are syncing to the cloud. To check, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle.

Please let us know what you find!

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Qamar
    Qamar Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja, @Quicken_Tyka

I am having the same issues Duplicate bill reminders in the calendar. It keeps multiplying every couple of days/every couple of One Step updates. I had over 25 entries at a time for the same bill and it messes up the balances.

I have the most current version of Quicken 2020 Version: R31.20 Build: 27.1.31.20. I have Backed up, Validated, and Copied the Quicken file couple of times and still have the same issue. I store my Quicken file on my local desktop (no cloud or network storage). I have deleted all the multiple entries and re-created them in the Bill & Income section and not in the Calendar view. I deleted all the invalid entries and then did the backup/validation/copy to make sure that these entries do not transferred in to the new file, but after few days this start happening again.

The forward looking income/expense view is that I use the most to manage my planning and expenses. If there is no fix for this than Quicken is useless for me (I am Quicken users sine the start of it when it was given free on 3.5" floppy disks 1992).

Thanks
    Qamar
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Qamar

Thank you for the response and details on all the steps that you have tried so far.

Do you use the mobile or web app at all? Can you confirm if the option to sync to the mobile/ web is on?

To confirm, please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web, there will be an on-off toggle. 

Can you also navigate to the One Step Update settings and confirm if sync to the cloud is selected there?

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Qamar
    Qamar Member ✭✭
    Hi @Quicken_Tyka

Thanks for the reply

I do not use mobile or web app at all. The Mobile & Web sync is set to off in the preferences and the Sync to Cloud is unchecked in the One Step Update.

Regards
    Qamar
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Qamar

Thank you for the response, although I am sorry to hear that the trouble continues to persist.

At this time I would recommend contacting support directly for advanced troubleshooting steps.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to review and research this further.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Qamar
    Qamar Member ✭✭
    @Quicken_Tyka

Thanks. I will try to reach out to the support and see if they can help me with this.

Regards
    Qamar
This discussion has been closed.