Our credit cards frequently show charges at Kaiser Permanente in error recently?

earlsalvey
earlsalvey Member ✭✭
These are valid charges, but not at Kaiser Permanente. They are at other places. We have had several of these lately.

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @earlsalvey,

Are these payee names coming from downloading transactions from the credit crd provider?  Have you reviewed the on-line account for the credit card in question to see what information it contains for those payees?  Also, is it possible that you have a memorized transaction or a scheduled transaction for "Kaiser Permanente" that is over-riding what the downloaded data is when you accept transactions int Quicken?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely check your Renaming Rules (Tools menu) to make sure that you don't have one that is too loose and is changing some Payees that it shouldn't.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    Frankx,
    Thanks, Yes these are from downloaded transactions from our B of A credit cards. And yes I've looked at the Bank's website and I know who the transactions were with. I've corrected them in Quicken. We don't have any payments to Kaiser Permanente any more as we switched insurance plans in January. No memorized transaction or scheduled transactions for Kaiser. It all just seems weird to me...
  • earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    Splasher, I looked at the Renaming Rules as you suggested. It just looked like a list of vendors we have paid something to over the years. Just a list. No rules that I could see. I've never set up any Renaming Rules. This list looked like maybe anyone we had ever used the card to charge something. Some of the names were old businesses that haven't existed for years like Circuit City. Some on this list we probably charged something one time only. I did take the opportunity to delete Kaiser Permanente from the list, so maybe this won't happen anymore...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @earlsalvey

Yes, I can clearly understand this comment you made "It just looked like a list of vendors we have paid something to over the years. Just a list."  And I don't disagree with your comment that these are "weird".

Nevertheless, the most likely explanation for the behavior that you are seeing is the existence of those transactions, regardless of whether they appear or do not appear on any "list".  That is the point we are trying to make to help you deal with the current situation you raised with your post.

It is a good thing that you deleted those - whatever you want to call them.  I expect that it will fix the problem that you raised.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @earlsalvey
    It may start off looking like just a list, but if you click on the triangle at the left of a payee, it will expand.
    The initial line (one with the triangle) is what it will be renamed to if the rules that follow happen.  In the case of my example, if Payee contains either of the two different spellings/wordings for Wal-Mart, it will change to Wal-Mart.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I did take the opportunity to delete Kaiser Permanente from the list, so maybe this won't happen anymore...
    That should be all you need to do.  The only way you can end up with a payee name of ""Kaiser Permanente" is if you have an entry for "Kaiser Permanente".  Something in it was matching way more than it should, but given that you aren't getting bills from them any more you don't have to correct them, just delete that one entry.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's weird - I've never seen anything listed other than the exact same name -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully it won't happen anymore since I deleted KP from the renaming rules list. It still seems like a random Quicken bug to me, though. The transactions I remember were with Vancouver Woodworks on my credit card and Target, Fleet Feet, and Vancouver Clinic on my wife's credit card. It seems odd that any of these would be renamed to KP, since none of them are remotely similar to KP. Just odd...
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only way to diagnose it further would be for you to restore a backup (don't overwrite the current file) and expand the KP renaming rule like I showed above and post a picture of it to see what was too unspecific about the way the rule was written so that it would produce such odd results.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I wouldn't even rule out "corruption".  As in something messed up that one rule and it started matching everything.  I have seen such reports in the past and it has always been a mystery of how such a "generic" match could happen (and unfortunately the users reporting it never showed what the renaming rule had).

Given how the "contains" works I think I would be hard pressed to make a rule that matches that wildly.  But like @splasher said, without seeing it, there isn't really any way to judge what is really going on.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled as needed. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.
    Specifically, there are 3 settings about Your Renaming Rules.
    All 3 of them should be enabled, to allow you to review when Quicken is about to create a new rule.

Weeding out the Renaming Rules
    You mentioned seeing one or more obsolete rules in the list, e.g., Circuit City. Feel free to delete those. Rules do not expire due to non-usage.

• earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I'm not sure if I've inserted the screen shot of the renaming rule for KP, but it does contain Vancouver, so it appears that was the problem. Thanks for your help guys!

Earl

[Screenshot Edited to Redact Personal Info]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well Vancouver could certainly be in a lot of the payees/memo if you live in that area.  That would explain it.  It is interesting that the renaming rule has nothing about KP in it!

Your screenshot is showing a bit more than I think you want on a public forum like this.  I would edit that to change out the image to have only the renaming dialog.  Select the gear icon in the comment.  And you can use the Windows 10 "snipping tool" to grab only the part you want.  If you can't edit the comment (I'm not sure if you have enough "points" on the forum) post back and I'm sure one of the SuperUser in this thread can fix it up.
    Signature:
  • earlsalvey
    earlsalvey Member ✭✭
    Chris, I don't see a "gear icon", so I don't think I can edit. What can I do??
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    We SUs cannot edit attached images. Only a mod can do that. I've flagged it.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.