Common suggestion for blocking memo downloading doesn't work.

Chris_QPW
Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
It is a common suggestion that if you don't want the memo that the financial institution sends you can put a . (period) in the memo of the memorized payee and that will be used over what the financial institutions sends in the memo field.

I have found that this doesn't work.  I believe that the people suggesting it might be pre entering transactions, and as such that memo does override what the downloaded one has. But if you just download transactions without them being in the register to match, you always get the memo from the download.  I have tested this with both automatic transactions entry mode and going through the Downloaded Transactions tab and in both cases it doesn't work.

First off I will show the renaming rules and memorized payees, since a period is hard to see I have changed to an X for this demonstration, Note I have blacked out most of the downloaded memo because it has sensitive information.  That is in fact why I don't want it in Quicken, it totally unneeded besides.

I have chosen to show this in the Downloaded Transactions tab just so that none of the SuperUsers will say that it is the automatic transaction entry mode that is doing this.

Above you can see that the renaming rule did get applied, and that the category was filled in from the memorized payee, but look at the memo, it is the one that was downloaded.  Not the X from the memorized payee.

Here I have Accepted it into the register just to prove that it doesn't change at that point.

Signature:
This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The approach we use is to enter the transaction in the register before accepting the downloaded transaction.  If the transaction in the register has a memo, the downloaded transaction matched to the transaction does not replace it's value.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    The approach we use is to enter the transaction in the register before accepting the downloaded transaction.  If the transaction in the register has a memo, the downloaded transaction matched to the transaction does not replace it's value.
    Yes that will work, but at the cost of having to enter all transactions.  That isn't something I and a lot of other people do.  In fact before there was downloading of transactions I dropped using Quicken because hand entry was too much work.  It wasn't until I could download that I started using Quicken again.  In reality this problem doesn't really bother me, I'm more pointing out that the workaround suggested doesn't work.

In reality what probably needs to be done is implement an option for never using the downloaded memo.  I know there was a suggestion like that in the past.
    Signature:
  • Hightower
    Hightower Member
    How do I ask a question about something?
  • Hightower
    Hightower Member
    I need help with something.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.