Restore a Backup Without Overwriting Existing [edited]

How can i restore an old backup file or even open it up without replacing the existing backup?
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited March 2021
    Hello @Cynthia Weaver,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Please, refer to this support article, and scroll down until you see Quicken for Windows and open the blue dropdown section(s) titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cynthia Weaver  I don't quite understand your question.
    Opening/Restoring a backup file NEVER impacts another backup file.
    Opening/Restoring a backup MIGHT overwrite your current Q data file ... but restoring that backup CAN be opened with another name .... thus leaving your current current Q data file intact.  Is that what you're really asking about?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, you can also change the backup file extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF and then open the file in Quicken. You need to enable File name extensions in File Explorer.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • ekim3546
    ekim3546 Member
    Quicken fails to be a friendly user file. It will not open older files without requiring them to be restored!
    QUICKEN IS NO LONGER USER FRIENDLY AND WHY THEY HAVE DONE THIS IS A MYSTERY!.....
    BACKED UP FILES SHOULD BE ABLE TO BE OPENED WITHOUT REQUIRING THEM TO BE RESTORED. THE OLD QUICKEN DID ALLOW IT.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I posted, you can open a Quicken backup file by changing the extension from .QDF-backup to .QDF. Or from Quicken you can use File --> Restore a Backup File.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.