Incorrect payee names from TD Bank (Q Mac)

System
System Member admin
This discussion was created from comments split from: Downloaded Bank Transactions Payee Names.

Comments

• nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    quicken TD bank download transactions payee names are incorrect. When there is smaller payee name it downloads fine. when there is long payee name it downloads it as "TRN*1*0015497341*1220999690" ignores the front part of the transaction which is the real payee name. Please see the screen shot. It is nothing to do with renaming rules. I do have the same problem when you are going to put a solution to the problem and this is the reason I didn't renew my subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @nikon1944@me.com  @Sreepen Are you running Q Canada ... which is suggested by your banking with TD? 
    If so, this thread is about Q US and you'd be better served is you posted in a Q Canada forum as you'd get better, and more accurate exposure.
    While Q Canada and Q US are VERY similar, they aren't identical.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    No I'm running Q US, I just copy and paste a post from Sreepen because I have the same problem and I'm using Chase, when I look at the pizza report all I see is a bunch of numbers and when I click on them then it shows the category name and thanks for you help
  • nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    I guess nobody have an answer
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, so now that we've clarified that you're running Q US, which Q product, and what BUILD of that product are you running?  Do HELP, About Quicken for this info.
    Also, when you do TOOLS, Account List ... what shows in the "Transaction Download" column adjacent to your Chase account.

• nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    this is what i have Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100) and I cant find the tools that you talking about
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    nikon1944 said:
    this is what i have Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100) and I cant find the tools that you talking about

You're running QMac, while this is a QWin thread.  I'll have the mods address this, probably by moving your posts to a new thread.

• nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 14.33.05.png this is what am talking about
  • nikon1944
    nikon1944 Member ✭✭
    Thank you not acpa
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @nikon1944  I'm confused because you said you didn't renew your subscription but you have a problem with downloads; downloads should be disabled with lapsed subscriptions. So I just wanted to make sure we were understanding the situation correctly.

Next question: in Quicken Preferences > Connected Services, do you have the box for "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checked or not? If not, have you tried checking it to see if it improves the imported Payee name or not?

Next, click on one of these transactions and select View > Transactions Inspector. Look at the Statement Payee field. This is what Quicken is receiving from the bank. If it omits they key part of the Payee name, then you need to reach out to your bank with this problem, because it's coming from their end.

On the flip side, if the key part of the Payee name is present in the Statement Payee field, how is it separated from the gibberish which follows? A space or other delimiter? Or is it all just mashed together, like "WalmartTRN*1*0015497341*1220999690"? As long as there's a space or other delimiter (almost any character other than a letter or number), you should be able to create a renaming rule to solve the problem. So it the Payee name is "Walmart TRN*1*0015497341*1220999690", a renaming rule to rename a Payee containing "Walmart" with "Walmart" would solve this for you. And yes, it will take a little time over a couple months to build up a library of such renaming rules for various Payees, but it's pretty quick work.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, Mac Superusers,
    have you taken a look at the "pizza report" (aka pie chart) that @nikon1944 provided?
    That looks to me like a problem with Category Names having become corrupted and are now showing as some hexadecimal numbers. And that, IMHO, is a totally different and separate can of worms from the Payee Name download issue mentioned in the first post.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @UKR  You're correct. I did briefly glance at the pie chart, but the category names were off to the side and I didn't see them until I went back now and scrolled to the right. And yes, that's a separate bug. 

There are a number of threads about the category issue, but this one might be the more comprehensive:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7874820/why-are-category-names-converting-to-number-sequences-after-updating-accounts-on-line

I think the problem stems from some interaction with Quicken Cloud corrupting category names; I don't think the moderators here have ever been able to collect enough information to document this, and as such, I don't know if it's an "official" bug in the Quicken database which anyone on the product development team is aware of.

But that shouldn't have anything to do with downloaded Payee names, at least to the best of my knowledge.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.