How do you input stock and option for same company?

I own stock in a company and today I bought a Call option in the same company. When I input the Call option, it changes my regular stocks to an option. Is there a way to have stocks and option for the same security? If so, how? Thanks.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you use a different security for the option.  

If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7890043/option-symbols-not-working

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's been quite a while since I bought and sold options but typically I followed the broker's naming convention more or less with identifying information about the option as part of the name:
    PGAP-Jan01-80-call
    CALL ALTRIA GROUP INC$75 EXP 10/22/05
    CALL SCHNITZER STL INDS$45 EXP 04/22/06
    and exchange-traded options do have their own ticker symbol.  Options are distinct securities associated with but not the same as an underlying stock so there should be no problem distinguishing them from the security itself.
  • TEH
    TEH Member
    I understand how to write the options ticker symbol, but when I do that it converts my regular stocks for the same company into an option. The opposite also happens, if I purchase an option for Tesla is works great; however, then when I put in my regular 10 shares, it converts the option to shares and not an option.

It appears Quicken can't handle having options and stocks in the same company.
  • TEH
    TEH Member
    I would like to clarify, that for the two entries, I input the Option Ticker for the Option and TSLA for the stock, but Quicken automatically changes everything in my portfolio to the last ticker symbol I input.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    TEH said:
    I understand how to write the options ticker symbol, but when I do that it converts my regular stocks for the same company into an option. The opposite also happens, if I purchase an option for Tesla is works great; however, then when I put in my regular 10 shares, it converts the option to shares and not an option.

It appears Quicken can't handle having options and stocks in the same company.
    From your description, I suspect you are attempting to use the same Quicken security for the regular stock and the option.

As I previously suggested, a different Quicken security needs to be used for the option.  If you review the link I provided earlier, it shows how to create a security for an option.
  • TEH
    TEH Member
    No, as stated, I am using a different security for each. For the Option is is something like TSLA 211015C00600000, and for the regular stocks it is just TSLA.

I am using Quicken Premier, and it will automatically change my first one to what ever I typed in last, even though I am putting the type as "option" for one and "stock" for the other.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    TEH said:
    No, as stated, I am using a different security for each. For the Option is is something like TSLA 211015C00600000, and for the regular stocks it is just TSLA.

I am using Quicken Premier, and it will automatically change my first one to what ever I typed in last, even though I am putting the type as "option" for one and "stock" for the other.
    And just to confirm -- the security name is also unique to each -- ala 'Tesla Common' and 'Tesla Option XYZ'?
  • TEH
    TEH Member
    When I input them for the two, the names are unique. However, Quicken automatically converts the first one to what ever I used for the second input.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TEH said:
    When I input them for the two, the names are unique. However, Quicken automatically converts the first one to what ever I used for the second input.
    That is the third time you have said that. It is still not a clear statement. 
    “When I input THEM”  What is THEM and where are you entering the info?
    ”Quicken automatically converts the first one to what ever I used for the second input.“. When?  If you can be more descriptive and perhaps include a screen snip, I am hopeful someone can help. 
This discussion has been closed.