Restore from Backup Did Not Download Gap Data From EWC Accounts.

Options
markus1957
markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
After a glitch (I mouse clicked another register too soon) at the end of an Accept All after OSU caused a crash, I was missing downloaded transactions from some direct connect accounts.  I thought the easy thing to do was to restore from a backup.  What I found was that the direct connect accounts updated again as expected, including retrieving the missing transactions but that the EWC accounts did not download the gap data to bring the EWC registers back up to date.  I have sync Off, but we know there is still a cloud file of transactions kept by QCS.

That got me to wondering about how the new cloud based QCS channel reacts to restored data files.  I wonder if EWC downloads are now kept in the Cloud rather than the Zip'd QEL folder. I had to do a new restore from backup, then turn On Sync with no accounts set to sync. I reset the cloud file, then turned sync Off again, closed & opened Quicken.  Then ran OSU which brought both direct connect and EWC accounts, including a few EWC transactions from a couple of months back.  The EWC accounts did not act like an account reset or deactivate which can bring a whole bunch of old transactions.  I did see some cloud interaction during the first restore, but for some reason the cloud file did not get the memo that a restore was done and it needed to send down more than just new transactions.  It took a Reset of the cloud file to get it back to the same date as the desktop file.

Being more interested in getting the file restored, I did not pay close enough attention to be able to explain exactly what happened.  What I can say is that restoring from a backup when the data file is set with Sync Off, did not work as expected.  Quicken must have a built in Reset process for the cloud file during a Restore, but I wonder if it does not fully complete when Sync is Off?  Or maybe it was a one-off.  Just thought I would post in case others see unexpected issues after a data file restore.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My guess (and since they don't tell use how things work, it is only a guess) is that nothing has changed as far as where the unique Ids are stored for the Quicken data file, but it is clear that since QCS is "in between" it is doing its own "caching".

This caching is most likely based on the same unique Id, but whatever it is, it would definitely be stored in the cloud data set, and if there isn't any thing in the Desktop data file to "indicate" a change then I can certainly see it not syncing the transactions again.  A Reset has meant a "change in the unique Id if Intuit servers are providing it".  This is the reason when people do a Reset they get duplicate transactions.

If you look at the Downloaded Ids and they start with Intuit, then these are definitely generated by the Intuit server (not coming directly from the financial institution in a QFX file).  Intuit uses some kind of "seed number" that that is be basis of all the unique Ids.  When a Reset is sent that wipes out that number and a new one is generated, creating new unique Ids.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken has not been resetting the cloud account appropriately when we restore a Quicken file backup (or open a different of a Quicken file with the same file identifier) for about a year.  I hope they will let us know when they have addressed the issue but, for now, before opening another Quicken file that has the same file identifier embedded,  I suggest you delete the cloud account.  

Note: You need to open another Quicken file to delete the appropriate cloud account.  You may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows  The other Quicken file needs to have a distinct file identifier so that we may delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file.  For example, you may create a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...) without any accounts and enable sync in preferences so you may view and delete the cloud account associated with the original Quicken file. 

Note: Only File > New Quicken File... generates a distinct file identifier.  All other forms of creating a Quicken file, copy the embedded identifier from another file.

This discussion has been closed.