Adding other accounts is altering my balances

I've got the Quicken Deluxe subscription. My wife and I have separate accounts at the same bank. Here's what I've done:

1.) Export entire history of my account into .qfx.
2.) Import my history.
3.) Go into account settings where it says "there's a better way to connect", and connect my account. Here, the balance on my account is correct.
4.) Export entire history of my wife's account into .qfx.
5.) Import her history.
6.) Go into account settings where it says "there's a better way to connect", and connect her account.
7.) The ending balance on MY account is altered.

I'm not sure what could be causing this. I had added one of our credit cards too, and it altered that ledger and balances as well. How can I ensure that importing and adding the accounts isn't going to alter other accounts?

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My guess would be "Transfer detection".  As in it is on, and from the sounds of it, it doesn't even have the "confirm" on.
    "Transfer detection" is just a guess.  If you have a deposit for $100 in one account and a withdraw in another around the same date it will guess that it is a transfer between the two accounts and change the transactions into transfers.

Check these preferences at:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer detection -> Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfers
    Either turn this off or at least make sure the "Confirm possible transfers..." is on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @PiousVenom

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Could you please provide which version of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

Also, after the balances were altered, have you checked to see if there were any duplicate or missing transactions, or if the opening balance of the account(s) were changed/incorrect?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• PiousVenom
    PiousVenom Member ✭✭
    My version of Quicken is:

Version: R32.10
    Build: 27.1.32.10

I just did it again to double check, and the number of transactions on my account did drop.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My guess would be "Transfer detection".  As in it is on, and from the sounds of it, it doesn't even have the "confirm" on.
    "Transfer detection" is just a guess.  If you have a deposit for $100 in one account and a withdraw in another around the same date it will guess that it is a transfer between the two accounts and change the transactions into transfers.

Check these preferences at:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer detection -> Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfers
    Either turn this off or at least make sure the "Confirm possible transfers..." is on.
    Signature:
  • PiousVenom
    PiousVenom Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > My guess would be "Transfer detection".  As in it is on, and from the sounds of it, it doesn't even have the "confirm" on.
    > "Transfer detection" is just a guess.  If you have a deposit for $100 in one account and a withdraw in another around the same date it will guess that it is a transfer between the two accounts and change the transactions into transfers.
    >
    > Check these preferences at:
    > Edit -> Preferences -> Transfer detection -> Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfers
    > Either turn this off or at least make sure the "Confirm possible transfers..." is on.

That was it. Thank you so much!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Your very welcome.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.