Contribx in Investment transaction report

acs2
acs2 Member ✭✭
edited May 2021 in Investing (Windows)
When I run an Investment transaction report items that are Contribx actions appear BUT thee is no amount displayed even though all display items are selected. How do I create a report to show all Contribx amounts?

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @Damian

Thank you for your patience. An official bug ticket has been opened. I do not have an ETA to provide however a fix for this issue will be included in a future update.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue!

-Quicken Tyka

CTP-2045
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @acs2.

Can you give us some additional information on exactly what you are seeing and the related context?

I have been an Quicken user for a long, long time and I don't ever recall seeing or hearing of a "Contribx" type of transaction.  What is it?  What type of account is it showing up in?  My best guess is that it could possibly be related to some type of tax advantaged retirement plan, but that is only a guess.

If you can provide us with more details, it will go a long way to helping us understand what you are seeing and therefore help us to help you.

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭
    Attached is a snippet of what I see. Sorry it is small. It is an Investment transaction report. Note the Contribx actions and there is no amount next to each action but there is a total provided
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @acs2,

Thanks for the additional information.

So, even though there is nothing that I could find in Quicken Help and in certain other places I have searched, apparently the ContribX is an investment type transaction.  I was able to create a couple of transactions using ContribX and then was able to print them as follows:

1) From the home screen - Select "Reports" > "Investing" > "Investment Transactions";
    2) When the report opens, you should modify the "Date Range" to fit your needs;
    3) Next click on the "Gear" icon in the upper right and click on the "Actions" tab;
    4) If you only want to see the "ContribX" transactions - first click the "Clear All" button;
    5) Then move down the listing of "Actions" until you see the "ContribX" and click the box next to it.  (Note - the listing is not in alphabetical order so keep looking through the whole list);
    6) You can then click "OK" to take you back to the report which should show all of the ContribX transactions for your date range.

Hope this helps.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭
    Frankx

I think you misunderstood the question. I created the report as you suggested and that was the snippet I sent to you before your most recent comment. The problem is that if you look at each CONTRIBX acton there is NO amount listed next to them.

Is it a bug, did I forget to do something?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Hi again @acs2,

It is hard to say what the problem is.  But as an example, below is what I see from the test file I used to set-up the ContribX transactions.  It obviously contains more data than your snip did.

This has me wondering whether the problem is the data that has been inputted, or perhaps corruption to your data file.  When you view those transactions in the account registers - I would assume that you can see individual amounts for each time ContribX is used/appears - is that correct?

Frankx

• CurtisMeeks1
    CurtisMeeks1 Member ✭✭
    The contributions show up in the tax center for the current year and all reports I run at tax time.
  • CurtisMeeks1
    CurtisMeeks1 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2021
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I'd never run an Investment Transactions report on any of my retirement Accounts with ContribX transactions but did so today having stumbled upon this thread.  I agree with you, the Investment Transactions report does not show a dollar amount associated with a ContribX transaction, although the transaction is shown in the report. 

I'd say "it's a bug" and will report it as such.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Young said:
    I'd never run an Investment Transactions report on any of my retirement Accounts with ContribX transactions but did so today having stumbled upon this thread.  I agree with you, the Investment Transactions report does not show a dollar amount associated with a ContribX transaction, although the transaction is shown in the report. 

I'd say "it's a bug" and will report it as such.
    I was able to duplicate the same ContribX issue in an Investment Transactions report I just pulled for 2006-YTD.
    But I also noticed that this is not an issue with just ContribX transactions as there are some (not all) Cash transactions in the report with the same issue.
    Upon review it was observed in all cases:
    • This issue occurs with both retirement and taxable investment accounts.
    • The issue is always present with and only with cash transfers into the accounts (including Opening Cash Balance transactions and other transfers from other investment, retirement and spending accounts).
    • The issue does not occur with cash transfers out of the accounts.
    I have not found any other correlation pattern so far.  Unless I'm missing something, I tend to agree that this is a bug.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭
    From my understanding of recent comments others have duplicated my findings. That is there in no amount shown for Contribx and also for Cash actions. But there is a line item for each of these transactions in reports and a total amount adding up each action that is accurate even though the line item amounts are not showing.

Curtis Meeks said he would log it as a bug.

Thanks everyone for looking into this comment. Assuming it is a bug I hope that the fix is instituted soon.
  • I recently encountered several errors in the investment side of Quicken, so I searched the Quicken Community and have found that these issues have been around for a while, with no resolution. Worse yet, they seem to be met with indifference, with the pretense of being answered.

-- Totals are not correct on investment reports. Certain transactions are being left out. I have run many reports with subtotals/totals and not one of them was correct. I brought them into Excel and totaled them up to get the correct bottom line totals. I have seen this error brought up several times in the Quicken community with no official Quicken acknowledgement.

-- I have many retirement accounts, 401(k) and IRAs. The rollovers between the accounts show up as "ContribX" and "WithdrwX" and the dollar amounts are missing on the investment reports. On Quicken, these transactions show up with "Transfer" in the Cash column, with no amount, which is also a link. When you click on the link, it brings you to a help section with an explanation that doesn't make sense for the situation. This issue has been brought up many times over the years with no acknowledgement from Quicken. I personally have seen this issue since 2017.

--Cost is not being adjust properly when using the "Removed Shares" transaction for some securities. So far, I know for certain this is a definite issue for dollar par funds. The Cost is not adjusted down and you end up with a residual cost when the fund is completely sold.

From what I have seen over the years, the investment piece of Quicken seems to be treated as a after thought. Hopefully Quicken can find the resources to correct these basic and fundamental investment programing issues, as some of them have been around way too long.
  • After some testing, I found out that running a validate is causing the ContribX and WithdrwlX amounts to disappear from reports. This is a major bug and it is perplexing that Quicken has not fixed this, as it's been happening for many years.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Damian

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to share your feedback and report this issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

First, please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running. So far, I have been unable to recreate this.

I have added a brokerage account and entered a "BoughtX" when I run the validation process the transaction is not being removed. Are you running just the validate utility or possibly the Rebuild Investing Lots option?

Please let me know so we can work towards isolating the issue further. 

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2021
    Tyka, I am running Quicken version 32.12 build 27.1.32.12 on Windows 10.

I want to point out that the actions that have the issue are not "BoughtX". They are "ContribX" and "WithdrwX". These Actions result from using a "Cash Transferred Into Account" and "Cash Transferred Out Of Account" transactions in a 401(k) or IRA account.

I did a standard validate only, without a lot adjustment. I just did it again now, with the same result, the amounts for these "ContribX" and "WithdrwX" transactions disappeared on reports. The transaction itself doesn't get deleted, just the amounts from reports. The amounts also still show up in Quicken.

Bottom line, I think you would need to set up a 401(k)/IRA account, and do a cash transfer in or a cash transfer out, then run a report to show those amounts, and then do a validate, and then, run the report again. I have done this several times, with the same result of the amounts being wiped out.
  • Another Item to note is that in the investment register, these "ContribX" and "WithdrwX" transactions show the world "Transfer" in the Cash Amt" column, instead of an amount, but if you edit the transactions, you can see the amounts. I am not sure if this is why the validate gets confused.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Damian

Thank you for the clarification, I apologize for the confusion I understand the steps now.

I am will work on recreating this issue and will provide an update when have the results.

Thank you!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Damian and others

I have been able to successfully recreate this issue and have reported this behavior.

I do not have an ETA but will be back with an update once an official ticket has been opened. Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Tyka,

You are welcome. I also have been doing testing on the other two issues I noted on my April 8th post - The "cost not being adjusted", and the "incorrect Investment reports totals" issues. When my testing is complete, I will let you know what I find. So far, I have found that each issue is tied to a specific transaction type and event,

Thanks
    Damian
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello @Damian

Thank you for your patience. An official bug ticket has been opened. I do not have an ETA to provide however a fix for this issue will be included in a future update.

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue!

-Quicken Tyka

CTP-2045
    ~~~***~~~
  • Thanks @Quicken_Tyka, and you are very welcome.  
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2021
    After some testing, I have found a workaround for the "ContribX" and WithdrwX" reporting issue where the validate removes the cash amounts for these transfers from all reports.  Instead of using "Cash Transferred into Account" and "Cash Transferred out of Account", use a cash Withdrawal and put the "To Account" in the Category field.  This will create a cash transfer that is not affected by running a Validate.  The cash amounts on the transfers will not be zeroed out on reports.

Another option, is if the accounts involved are both closed at the FI and no longer in use, then simply close the accounts on Quicken.  This will change all of the "ContribX" and "WithdrawX" transfers to "Xin" and "Xout" which are not affected by this "Validate and Reporting" issue.

You can always enter separate "Withdrawal" and "Deposit" transactions in the accounts, but that would necessitate creating two separate transactions for each transfer you do. 
This discussion has been closed.