Add option to validate data file as part of the manual backup process...

Options
Snowman
Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
I have been using Quicken for 20 years now.  Some will recommend NOT to validate the data file on a regular basis (I do so at minimum of once a week) but I hold the opposite opinion and here is why. 

There have been several occasions over the years when I did not validate my file and when I finally did there was a fatal flaw.  I had to go back and find a backup file (I create these on a daily basis) that would validate properly.  I then had to reconstruct and re-enter the data for periods of up to 8 months.

This December was a very busy month and I neglected to validate the file for four weeks.  I had inputted a large amount number of transactions.  I then put the data file on my laptop and headed out on vacation.  The first day out I validated the file after a month of not doing so.  There were error where a number of accounts had been deleted (no accounts had been deleted I could open them up just fine).  It further stated that it would erase all of the transactions that were in the accounts that had been deleted, not a option.  I backed up the corrupt file, then did the validate and repair on the file copy and it deleted all of the transactions it said it would. 

I had to restore a file from 12/6/2019 in order to get a file that validated properly, then I had reenter a months worth of data that involved over 300 transactions/transfers/reconciliations/etc. in 18 accounts.

Quickbooks validates the data file before it does a backup.  Now I realize Quickbooks is a completely different animal (I use it as well) but the reason it is done that way is to prevent you from backing up corrupted data. .

I would be nice to have this as an option when you are doing a manual backup of Quicken.  I am currently validated the data file every other day at this point because of what happened.  I am using Quicken Premier 2020 R24.11.  The issue that recently happened did so on the previous release.
17 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2021
    Options
    Hello All,

The Community Support team regularly reviews long-standing posts and Ideas for relevancy and current interest. This Idea seems to have stalled and we would like to gauge the current interest in this request. 

If you would like to see this idea implemented, please add your vote and a comment explaining how this idea would be beneficial for you. More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would still like this implemented.  There needs to be a way to validate the file BEFORE it is backed up, otherwise you are just backing up corrupted data over and over and over again.