Duplicate transactions with my bank

Drewbacca
Drewbacca Member ✭✭
My bank, First Horizon, used to be called First Tennessee. They switched names last year, and ever since, every single transaction that comes in is duplicated. I get one, followed by the duplicate the next day. I think this has to do with First Horizon having differences between "available balance" and "current balance." First Tennessee used to do the same thing when I used to use [Removed - Solication] years ago. The transactions come in with slightly different ID codes at the end of their name. Is there any way to fix this other than deleting the 2nd transaction when it comes in? It's very annoying, and I sometimes accidentally delete something that has the same dollar amount, thinking it's a duplicate. It's not manageable, but I was hoping it would eventually get worked out. That doesn't look likely as it's been going on for over a year. It's likely a bank issue rather than Quicken, but I was wondering if anyone had a better solution.

Answers

• Drewbacca
    Drewbacca Member ✭✭
    I should also mention that my method of connection is Quicken Connect.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Since this is Quicken Connect this is something that Intuit and the financial institution have to work out.  And to get that ball in motion you need to report the problem to Quicken support.  Note Quicken Inc pay Intuit for this service.
    Contact Quicken Support

At the user level there isn't anything you can really do other the what you have been doing or switching to a different financial institution.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Drewbacca,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Quicken > About Quicken

To start off with, if you don't mind, I suggest creating a new (test) file and try adding the account brand new in the test file to see if you receive the same result. If needed, please, review this support article for instructions on how to create a new file and how to switch back to your original file after.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Drewbacca
    Drewbacca Member ✭✭
    I'm using Quicken for Mac Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100).

I'll have to get back to you on the test file. When you download transactions from the past, it doesn't do duplicates. The only ones that are duplicated are the ones that went through on the day you reconcile. For example, if I don't open Quicken for a week and then do it on a Monday. The ones from the previous week will be ok, but the transactions on Monday will show up again as duplicates on Tuesday. I typically reconcile my banks daily, so it's a problem. I think it has something to do with First Horizon making the funds available before they've completely been finalized. I'm not having duplicates with any other banks/cards.

To the person who suggested contacting Quicken Support, does this count since I'm talking to a Quicken person on the forum, or do I also need to report it at the link you gave me?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like they are sending pending transactions, and then updating them when the transaction posts.
    Quicken should never receive pending transactions.  If this was Direct Connect it would be entirely up to the financial institution to fix.  But with Quicken Connect Quicken support would have to track down exactly where the problem is.
    Signature:
  • Drewbacca
    Drewbacca Member ✭✭
    Looking into Quicken Support, I found an article that says the following:

"Your Financial Institution Changed Their Format for FITID

This can cause duplicate transactions to download, because Quicken flags previously downloaded transactions by the FITID as a mechanism to prevent duplicates from downloading. When that FITID changes on existing transactions and they're transmitted to Quicken, Quicken has no way of knowing that they're really duplicates of previously downloaded transactions.

Solution: Delete the duplicates from the account register."

This is what I'm doing, but I'm wondering if there's a way to get Quicken and/or my bank to sort it out. When I have a little more time I'll contact support and put it on their radar, but this possible answer doesn't give me much hope that it's resolvable.
  • WBK_6
    WBK_6 Member ✭✭
    I am experiencing duplicate download transactions for my USAA Credit Card. Any fix yet?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    WBK_6 said:
    I am experiencing duplicate download transactions for my USAA Credit Card. Any fix yet?
    It is Direct Connect at USAA, so only they can fix it, and it doesn't seem like they consider it much of a priority or they just don't know how to fix it. 
    Signature:
  • wrldtvlr
    wrldtvlr Member ✭✭
    edited April 2021
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > It is Direct Connect at USAA, so only they can fix it, and it doesn't seem like they consider it much of a priority or they just don't know how to fix it. 
    [Removed-Speculation] 
This discussion has been closed.