Paycheck wizard and transactions automatically synced

Options
Hello,

I just switched over to quicken from Mint.com. I am trying to setup the paycheck wizard for tax/planning purposes and am not understanding how it works. I do not manually enter any transactions into Quicken, they are all imported from my online banking. This includes my net paycheck. The paycheck wizard creates a scheduled transaction with the applicable splits (very helpful). Is there a way to reconcile the wizard-generated transaction and the transaction that is automatically uploaded from my online banking? Or do I have to manually delete every one of my paycheck entries?

Thanks,

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As with other scheduled transactions, I suggest entering the transactions before accepting the downloaded transactions so the imported transactions may be matched to the existing transactions automatically. 

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As with other scheduled transactions, I suggest entering the transactions before accepting the downloaded transactions so the imported transactions may be matched to the existing transactions automatically. 
  • Tanner
    Tanner Member
    Options
    Gotcha, I will try that , thanks
  • Tanner
    Tanner Member
    Options
    I am now having to match the transactions. It seems I am in the same situation as this post: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876719/manually-match-a-transaction-in-q2020-for-windows. However, when I left-click on "Match to a downloaded transaction", the "manual match" window pops up and no other transaction is populated.
  • Tanner
    Tanner Member
    Options
    *and yes, the transactions I am trying to match are the same amount
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you using "Automatic transaction entry" mode where the downloaded transactions go directly into the register?
    If so the amount on the downloaded transaction and the transaction amount put into the register by the paycheck reminder has to be exact to show up in the manual match dialog box.

Ideally if your paycheck varies when you enter the transaction into the register using the reminder you need see exactly what is on that paycheck and correct any problems, so that when the downloaded transaction happens it will just match.

If you don't do it in that order then you will have to go into the paycheck transaction, fix it, and then select the uncleared status and then select manual match, and at that point you should have see the downloaded transaction in the dialog.

Note the flow and use of "Manual Match" is different if you don't use "Automatic transaction entry" mode and instead use the Downloaded Transactions tab, but in even in that case you want to correct the transaction in the register first, and then it should get the Match status in the Downloaded Transactions tab.

In the case of invoking the Manual Match from the Downloaded Transactions tab it will show you transactions that don't exactly match, but almost never is it going to do what you want if you select it.  What it will do with the "difference" is add an extra split line and put in the difference there without any category.

This is definitely not what you want to do with any paycheck.  So the rule is always fix the amount of the transaction entered into the register first.  And it preferable to do it before you download the transactions.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tanner said:
    I am now having to match the transactions. It seems I am in the same situation as this post: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7876719/manually-match-a-transaction-in-q2020-for-windows. However, when I left-click on "Match to a downloaded transaction", the "manual match" window pops up and no other transaction is populated.
    I suspect you already accepted the downloaded transactions that would have been otherwise eligible.  
This discussion has been closed.