Payee rules

Options
Is there a way to create a rule and then have it apply to entries already in the register? Do new/modified rules only run on future downloads/entries?

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Thanksegon .  Another way to change the Payees for existing transactions that I find to be a little easier to do is as follows.  I also find it a little easier to review all the transactions before actually proceeding to change them.  It's just a matter of personal preference as to which process is better for you.:
    1. Back up your data first in case something goes wrong.
    2. Pull up the Spending report (under Reports > Banking).
    3. Customize the Spending report (upper right Gear icon) to select the time period you want, the categories you want and then on the Payees tab Clear all Payees and then select only the ones you want changed.  Then click OK.
    4. Left click on the 1st transaction in the report to highlight it.
    5. Scroll down to the last transaction in the report and while holding down the Shift key left click on that last transction.  All the transactions that you want to rename the payee for should now be shaded.
    6. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on "Rename payee(s)".
    7. Type in or select the Payee name you want the transactions renamed to.
    8. Click on Done and all the highlighted transactions will have their Payees changed to the new Payee name and the registers will be updated accordingly.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The renaming rules (Tools -> Renaming Rules) are only applied when you download transactions.

To change existing ones use Find and Replace (Edit -> Find/Replace ... Ctrl+H) :

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @Thanksegon .  Another way to change the Payees for existing transactions that I find to be a little easier to do is as follows.  I also find it a little easier to review all the transactions before actually proceeding to change them.  It's just a matter of personal preference as to which process is better for you.:
    1. Back up your data first in case something goes wrong.
    2. Pull up the Spending report (under Reports > Banking).
    3. Customize the Spending report (upper right Gear icon) to select the time period you want, the categories you want and then on the Payees tab Clear all Payees and then select only the ones you want changed.  Then click OK.
    4. Left click on the 1st transaction in the report to highlight it.
    5. Scroll down to the last transaction in the report and while holding down the Shift key left click on that last transction.  All the transactions that you want to rename the payee for should now be shaded.
    6. Right click anywhere on the shaded transactions and left click on "Rename payee(s)".
    7. Type in or select the Payee name you want the transactions renamed to.
    8. Click on Done and all the highlighted transactions will have their Payees changed to the new Payee name and the registers will be updated accordingly.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Thanksegon
    Thanksegon Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks very much. Both suggestions were very helpful.
This discussion has been closed.