Has anyone had an account balance arbitrarily change?

Lconnie
Lconnie Member ✭✭
Went to reconcile an account and it was off by $399.56 without explanation. I checked closing balances back as far as my bank had statements readily available (11/2019) and that error was there at that time. It is as though I am missing payment transaction(s) from some point in time, spontaneously. Cannot even troubleshoot as I have no idea from when. Given the problems with duplicates, I thought perhaps I had deleted one too many, but that would have kept it within the last few months. Very strange.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pull our your old statements on this account and search backwards until the Closing Balance on a statement and a date/balance in Q agree.
    Then, UN-reconcile everything in the account after that point, and re-reconcile, MONTH-BY-MONTH, until you've identified the error(s).
    Most likely, transactions have been changed, added, or deleted after being reconciled.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    To determine the source of the change, I suggest you compare the running balance of the account register in the current Quicken file with the running balance of the account register from a Quicken file backup saved when the account was last reconciled.  One way to accomplish this is to print the registers to text files.

•  Lconnie
    Lconnie Member ✭✭
    Well, I got lucky. I opened the most recent older file and searched for the amount. It came up with one and it was a transaction that did not appear in the latest file. Added it and I'm back to normal. It was from 4/21/2006! Not something I deleted, I'll bet. (Yeah, I know, why such a big continuous file - well it works for me.)
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I got lucky. I opened the most recent older file and searched for the amount. It came up with one and it was a transaction that did not appear in the latest file. Added it and I'm back to normal. It was from 4/21/2006! Not something I deleted, I'll bet. (Yeah, I know, why such a big continuous file - well it works for me.)
    That's nothing.  We have registers that go back much further.
This discussion has been closed.