Support for International Stock symbols

talkinghead250
talkinghead250 Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investments
I’d like to use Quicken to track international stocks trading on exchanges outside of the US and Canada.
Tagged:
16 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• enterfornone
    enterfornone Member ✭✭
    Even Excel supports stock price download for international stocks. For free. It's borderline embarrassing that we need to submit "ideas" for that in a dedicated "investment tracking" solution.
    Any investor above a mom-and-pop level diversifies also geographically.
    Someone at Quicken took the bad decision to save on price updates on the back of the paying users. Please make it right and deliver the investment tracking you promise in your advertising.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Even Excel supports stock price download for international stocks. For free. 
    It isn't free, people pay for Excel.  Every business decides what features they want to support and how to charge for those feature so they make a profit.

You can certainly find "fee quotes" all over the place, but first off most of them you pay for them by looking at ads.  What's more a business can't get these quote feeds for free.  Quicken Inc pays for the third part quote service.  And I'm sure they could pay to have the International feed too, but that will add to the cost. And Quicken Inc has to justify that cost not only for them, but for their customers.  There is exactly 3 votes for this idea.  Doesn't really sound like what you describe as a feature that every Quicken customer wants.  Most Quicken customers most likely get any foreign securities either in a fund (this is the most likely) that is list in the US or the prices come from their brokers.

What's more there are added complications.  There isn't just "the US" and then "International".  There are a ton of exchanges out there.  And so one of first question even to start to think about such support would be to decide on what exchanges people asking for this would want.  With three votes that might be 1 vote per exchange.  Or more likely 1 vote for multiple exchanges, each with a cost.

What's more there isn't good standard on the "tickers" and as such a system has to be made up and supported in Quicken that makes sure it knows what exchange any given security symbol is for.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    I can get the quote feed either from my broker or a third party database. What I can't do is import them into Quicken Mac.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @mark303  I don't know how many securities are involved for you, but if it's not a large number, I just wanted to note that you can import a CSV file of prices into Quicken Mac -- but only on a security by security basis. (That is, you can't import one file with price quotes for a bunch of securities, but you can import prices for one security at a time.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • mark303
    mark303 Member ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, I have over a hundred non-US securities in my portfolios.
  • eric Dalfort
    eric Dalfort Member
    I use Quicken for Windows version since more than 20 years. Like you, I own about a hundred of non-US shares and funds. I'm a Mac user, but I'm still using Quicken for Windows just because Quicken for Mac is missing an easy method to update international security prices. (To my knowledge, the only way is to upload one file per security, so it takes hours when you have plenty!)

With Quicken for windows, it's really easy: I just have to download a .csv file (easy to find on the web or with your banker), and then I just click on: file->file import->Import security prices from CSV file. It takes me less than 10 seconds to update all international shares!

I won't switch to Quicken for Mac as long as I won't be able to update my international investments quotes. Quicken is design fo follow your assets, so if you can't follow them, it's useless!

If you own like me a lot's of international securities, my recommandation is to install Parallel & Windows on your Mac, and to use Quicken for Windows.