Realized Gains not showing up in reports or budgets (Mac v6.1.1)

tjflyingadventures
tjflyingadventures Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Reports (Mac)
I have simple stock transactions Buy/Sell that have realized gains. These gains are not appearing in my transaction or budget reports.

How do I fix this?

I am using Quicken Premier for Mac V6.1.1 Build 601.37924.100)
MacOS version 11.2.3

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Where are you looking for realized gains in reports? There is no transaction which shows a realized gain; the transaction is the sale of the security. A realized gain is calculated based on that sale and the cost basis for that account. Realized gains should show if you look at the Tax Schedule report. (Just ignore the other parts of that report which aren't relevant at the moment.) It should also show in a Transactions by Category report, under Income > Investments > Realized Gain/Loss.

As for the budget, I think there are problems with investment income. The gain from the sale of a security does not show up in the budget -- under Long-Term Capital Gains, Short-Term Capital Gains, or Realized Gains/Losses. Reinvested Long-Term Dividends show up as income in the budget, as one would expect, but Long-Term Dividends paid in cash do not show up in the budget. (Unrealized gains -- change in market value minus realized gains -- also do not show up in the budget, but since they aren't transactions and therefore don't show up in transaction reports, perhaps that's understandable?) There seems to be a bug, or multiple bugs, regarding certain types of investment income in the budget. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Your Reporting tip worked... But I think the fact that realized gains do not appear in the budget reports is clearly a bug. I agree that unrealized gains should NOT appear in the budget.
  • jacobs
    I suggest using the Report a Problem screen of the Quicken Help menu to report this omission. I've already done so, but multiple reports from different users may help this matter get attention.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    The lack of Realized Gains in a transaction detailed IS a bug and omission.
    These show up in QM2007 reports as needed as a SELL transaction in the report on the date of the transaction as
    "•Realized Gain".
    This too needs to be reported.
    I have not tried but Reinvested Interest also shows up as a transaction entry in QM2007 reports as "•Int Income", which is a similar type transaction in some respect. If it does not show up in current QMac reports, this too is an omission that should be reported.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Thanks and agree... I have reported it as a bug... Fingers crossed that they fix it soon!
  • jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    These show up in QM2007 reports as needed as a SELL transaction in the report on the date of the transaction as
    "•Realized Gain".
    I have not tried but Reinvested Interest also shows up as a transaction entry in QM2007 reports as "•Int Income", which is a similar type transaction in some respect. If it does not show up in current QMac reports, this too is an omission that should be reported.

Realized Gains do show up in reports, as I explained above. The bug is with Realized Gains and several other types of investment income not showing up in budgets. And it has been reported multiple times now.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    "•Realized Gain".

Realized Gains do show up in reports, as I explained above. The bug is with Realized Gains and several other types of investment income not showing up in budgets. And it has been reported multiple times now.
    Actually, you stated
    "Realized gains should show if you look at the Tax Schedule report."

I am talking about them showing up in ANY detailed transaction report. QM2007 does this and as per the OP current QMac does not. That is an important distinction and omission. (Just another reason why I have to stick with QM2007).

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    Actually, you stated

I am talking about them showing up in ANY detailed transaction report. QM2007 does this and as per the OP current QMac does not. That is an important distinction and omission. (Just another reason why I have to stick with QM2007).

@smayer97 You quoted selectively. In the same paragraph, I wrote that realized gains also show up in transaction reports. (They also show in Summary and Comparison reports, although those weren't part of the OP's question.)  So, no, this is not an omission in Quicken Mac.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    smayer97 said:
    Actually, you stated

@smayer97 You quoted selectively. In the same paragraph, I wrote that realized gains also show up in transaction reports. (They also show in Summary and Comparison reports, although those weren't part of the OP's question.)  So, no, this is not an omission in Quicken Mac.
    Actually you stated that Realized gains "... should also show in a Transactions by Category report, under Income > Investments > Realized Gain/Loss." Correct me if I am wrong but I understood that as the Summary report. As I do not work in QMac, I am not sure what that is, if you say it is a Transaction report... Please clarify for me what the difference is between a Detailed Transaction report (which itemized each and every transaction) vs this report vs a Category Summary report?

I'd be looking for the first one. If the second is the same as the first but simply sorted by category, that is somewhat ok, though I also need to sort them by other fields like date.

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    Actually you stated that Realized gains "... should also show in a Transactions by Category report, under Income > Investments > Realized Gain/Loss." Correct me if I am wrong but I understood that as the Summary report.

Okay, I'm correcting; that is wrong. ;)   A Transactions by Category report is a transaction detail report, not a summary report. 

A transaction report shows individual transactions, typically sorted and totaled by category (but could also be by Payee, by tag, by Account), for a time period. A summary report shows just the category (or other parameter) totals for the time period (or multiple time periods, such as every month, quarter, or year), without the underlying transactions. A comparison report shows summary reports for two time periods, and the change.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    @jacobs yes, I know what all the report types are in QMac. So a "Transaction by Category" report is your nomenclature not Quicken's, which is what threw me off, as there are only 3 types of reports in QMac, each with options.

But thanks for confirming what you meant.

• jacobs
    smayer97 said:
    @jacobs yes, I know what all the report types are in QMac. So a "Transaction by Category" report is your nomenclature not Quicken's, which is what threw me off, as there are only 3 types of reports in QMac, each with options.
    @smayer97  Sorry, no, that's wrong on all counts. 

"Transactions by Category" is the name of a report in Quicken Mac. It's Quicken's naming, not mine. There are 5 pre-defined transaction detail reports in Quicken Mac:

Additionally, there are currently 35 default reports in Quicken Mac, not 3. They are spread across 7 categories: Transaction, Summary, Comparison, CrossTab, Net Worth, Tax, and "Other" (a handful of old reports from Quicken Essentials era which have not yet been removed). As illustrated above, some are variations on a basic type of report using different starting parameters, but all 35 reports exist by name in the menus and the reports screen. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, sorry so you got the naming from QMac but Potato, poTAHto...my last reply was in the context of the dialogue box you presented. So you can quibble about how to count reports... to me all those Transaction reports are NOT different reports, just different reporting options... in this case, defining groupings of transactions.

But all this is diverging from the core point... of getting Realized Gains to show up on a Transactions report. 
    So, not sure why you honed in on only one of the Transactions reports. Are you suggesting that Realized Gains only shows up on only one of the Transactions reports? If not, you highlighting only that one is a moot and distracting point, which is what led to my set of replies.

Now, as you have pointed out, Realized Gains should show on the Transactions report (the options suggest they should but I have not tested this) so it still leaves the issue as to why the OP is not seeing them.

• jacobs
    Geez, first you tell me I'm making up names of a report, and then when I show that it's the actual name of a Quicken report, you say it doesn't matter because it's just a form of a transaction report. If the name/variation doesn't matter, then why call me out on using a made up name?

In any case, I have answered multiple times that Realized Gains do show up in transaction reports. They also show up in summary reports and comparison report and tax reports. There is no problem with getting realized gains to show in reports (which the original poster confirmed in the third post of this thread.) So, please, let's lay this to rest, okay?

The only problem with realized gains is their omission in the budget, which I said at the outset seems to be a bug (and which I've reported). 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Nothing personal here. Not sure why you are getting so hung up. Yes, I mistook the name of the report as your own. Sorry...but this is immaterial to the OP's issues. That should not detract from the reason I went down this rabbit hole. It  is because of the following statements:
    There is no transaction which shows a realized gain; the transaction is the sale of the security. A realized gain is calculated based on that sale and the cost basis for that account.
    which seemed to imply that realized gains did not show up. (yes you have clarified that).
    Realized gains should show if you look at the Tax Schedule report. (Just ignore the other parts of that report which aren't relevant at the moment.) It should also show in a Transactions by Category report, under Income > Investments > Realized Gain/Loss.
    Not sure why you emphasized this report since the OP was talking about a transaction report. So this too (within the same paragraph) seemed to imply that the (only?) way to get realized gains was to use this report.

followed by:
    I wrote that realized gains also show up in transaction reports.
    But as I pointed out, you mentioned only the Transactions by Category report (which I mistook as your nomenclature, which you have clarified) But again, why only highlight only this Transaction report? Again, this seems to imply that Realized Gains only shows up using that particular transaction report.

So based on the string of replies, it still leaves a needed clarification as to whether or not you know there is a problem getting realized gains onto any other transactions reports, since you were selective in the reports you mentioned.

Though there is an identified problem with realized gains showing up in budgets, it is not the only issue raised. This still leaves the question as to why the OP is having trouble seeing realized gains on a transactions report.

• jacobs
    Geez, please let it go! 

I originally gave an example of the most common report, Transactions by Category, but I later expanded in response to your posts to state, more than once, that realized gains show up in all the reports -- transaction reports, summary reports, comparison reports, tax reports. Why do you keep saying a clarification is needed? It isn't. It works. And the original poster confirmed being able to get it to work in the third post in this thread --  before your first post in this thread, yet you keep saying the OP is having trouble when that's not the case.

So, to be clear, there is no problem with omission of realized capital gains in Quicken Mac reports. There is a problem with several types of investment income in the budget. That's it. Please let this be the end of this conversation. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.