Transaction dialogue box retains prior info for some transactions

Options
FBoro
FBoro Member ✭✭
edited April 2021 in Investing (Windows)
I have the latest Quicken version of Home and Business and noticed a bug after renewing in Nov 2020.
I manually enter investment transactions using the 'enter transaction' dialogue box and noticed that if I am doing multiple transactions, one of which being a 'cash transferred to acct', that 'transfer' information stays resident no matter what kind of transaction I enter next.

For example, I transferred $X from the investment account 'A' I was into another account 'B', then without closing the transaction dialogue box, changed the transaction type to 'misc income, dividends, and interest', and while still in account 'A' entered in $Y against stock as it's the monthly dividend.

Surprise - that dividend amount got entered in the account 'A' register as being transferred to account 'B'. I have to close the transaction dialogue window, then reopen it to enter any subsequent transactions after deleting out that one errant transaction. I've also had similar things happen when entering withdrawals in that when picking the payee from the list, it will fill in all the other fields and not accept any changes.

For example, I opened the transaction window, then chose 'withdraw' from the transaction type drop-down box, started typing in the name of the payee, select the payee from the history list in the drop-down box, then changed the date and amount of the withdrawal and hit 'enter'. Surprise - the amount associated with that historical payee goes into the register and not the amount I keyed in, so I have to edit the transaction in the register to correct it.
Just a goofy bug to live with???

[Edited-Readibility]

Best Answer

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for your patience. An official bug ticket has been opened for this issue. I do not have an ETA available at this time. I will provide updates as more information becomes available.

Thank you!

CTP-2073
    ~~~***~~~

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @FBoro

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and post back to let us know what release of Quicken you are using. 

Are you able to capture a screenshot(s) that display the transactions used and the issue? This will help to recreate the issue to see if this may be reported as a bug.

The more information you can provide regarding this issue will help the Community to better understand and assist.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • FBoro
    FBoro Member ✭✭
    Options
    Sorry it took so long but been very busy with work. I've attached 3 screenshots of what I enter and what results. There's a screenshot of the 'initial transfer transaction' as I entered it, then I changed the transaction type to a cash dividend ('next transaction') and entered it, then a final screenshot of what the register shows. When I entered the dividend, the screen shot shows the 'transfer account' box empty, but after entering that transaction, the register shows that it took that dividend and did a transfer on it also, even though I didn't specify that at all.
    We are using Quicken Deluxe, v R32.12, build 27.1.32.12 for Windows 10.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @FBoro

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I am able to recreate this issue, however, I can only recreate this if I am entering a transaction from an IRA.

Can you confirm you see this issue with just the IRA account or with any investment type of account such as a brokerage?

Also, when creating the Div transaction from the IRA, I found that I was unable to select a transfer account. Can you confirm you see this behavior in your file as well?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken_Tyka

I am also not able to specify a transfer account for a Div in an IRA. I think this is by design, because distributions from IRAs get special tax handling, and a transfer should be treated as a distribution.

You can enter a Div followed by an Xout if the dividend is really supposed to go another account.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • FBoro
    FBoro Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yes, the account(s) in question is an IRA account. I have a couple IRA accounts with different financial institutions and if (!) the value of one of them breaks a ceiling I've set, I transfer money to a holding IRA, so that's where the transfer comes in. However, both the sending and receiving IRA's accrue regular dividends on their investments, so when balancing the account I just keep the transaction window open and change the type as I enter. It's just a minor quirk that that 'transfer' info stays resident, although not visible in the transaction window.
    I checked the regular brokerage account and the problem did not occur, so the comment that Quicken may be treating the transfer as an IRA distribution and consequently gets into a loop for further transactions may have some truth to it. But that doesn't explain why, even though the transaction window shows a blank in the 'transfer to account', it still carries out that transfer.
    But, like I said, it's a minor quirk and can easily be lived with. ;)
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @FBoro

Thank you for the response and the additional details. I was able to successfully recreate this issue.

As an account may not be selected in the initial screen it is not logical for a DivX transaction to be created. Thank you for confirming that you see this behavior as well @Jim_Harman.

I will be back with an update as soon as I have more information.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello all,

Thank you for your patience. An official bug ticket has been opened for this issue. I do not have an ETA available at this time. I will provide updates as more information becomes available.

Thank you!

CTP-2073
    ~~~***~~~