Data Files

TimS
TimS Member ✭✭
My Quicken data file (Windows) is almost 200MB. I want to create a new Quicken DATA file and move 3 bank accounts in the old data file to the new file. I'll keep the existing one in case I need to look something up in the past 30 years. I can't seem to find this solution in any of the questions in this forum. It's easy enough to move the complete file, but I am only looking to move 3 accounts within that original file. Thanks Much!

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I suggest you consider saving a backup of the original file (press Ctrl + B), and deleting the accounts, etc. you don't want.

The other approach is to export the account you want to keep and import them into a new Quicken file (select File > New Quicken File...).  I suggest using QIF files.  You may want to review:

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-export-data-quicken
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do-i-import-data-quicken-windows
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The reason you don't find much on this is because it can in fact be quite hard to do.
    There are a few approaches when only banking accounts are involved, but each has their drawbacks.

The first would be to export a QXF file and import it into a new data file, and delete what you don't need (you can't select per account.)
    File -> File Export -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...
    And in the new data file.
    File -> File Import -> Quicken Transfer Format (.QXF) File...
    Delete what isn't needed.
    Follow that with a copy to remove the deleted data from the data file:
    File -> File Operations -> Copy...

Advantage clean new data file.  Disadvantage, having to delete accounts one at a time.

The second is similar but is just copying the data file and deleting what you don't want.
    But note that there is a unique Id in every data file that connects it with the Quicken Id/cloud data set.  And as such with just a copy you won't get a new one, and as such if you try to use both the old and the new data file Quicken might get "confused" on what to sync when you do online operations with both of them.

The last method is exporting QIF files (one per account) and importing them into a new data file.
    The problem with this method is the transfers.  Quicken is terrible in connecting these backup in the QIF import.  And depending on how many there are between the accounts you keep that might be a lot of work.
    One way around this that is "accounting correct", but removes the ability to jump between accounts on a transfer is to change the transfers to regular categories.   This program will do that.
    ChangeTransfers changes transfers in a QIF file to categories. - QuicknPerlWiz

File -> File Export -> QIF File...
    And in the new data file.
    File -> File Import -> QIF File...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • TimS
    TimS Member ✭✭
    Thanks for that. I tried the exact thing last weekend. I deleted over 17 accounts and only reduced the size of the file from 197MB to 174MB. Seems like there should have been a lot more as the 3-4 accounts that I am saving, are only about 2 years old.
  • TimS
    TimS Member ✭✭
    Chris.....thanks for that.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did you do this part?

Quicken being a database only marks records "deleted", and doesn't really delete them until you do this copy which is record by record.  Note also if you have attachments they will not be removed and can take up a lot of space if you haven't selected to delete them with the option in the Copy... dialog.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Chris_QPW said:
    Did you do this part?

Quicken being a database only marks records "deleted", and doesn't really delete them until you do this copy which is record by record.  Note also if you have attachments they will not be removed and can take up a lot of space if you haven't selected to delete them with the option in the Copy... dialog.
    Yet another approach, if the Copy... is not sufficient, is to export the QXF file and import the QXF file into a new Quicken file (assuming you have no investment accounts).
  • TimS
    TimS Member ✭✭
    Thanks again for the suggestions. I do not have any attachments to any account/file and I am not going to attempt to move any investment files. I will use the banks or brokers website and it's pretty simple so I won't be attempting to move those brokerage accounts into Quicken. The existing brokerage accounts are a mess in the existing Quicken file and not worth the effort to fix. I'll have more time this weekend to try the suggestions mentioned. Thanks
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TimS said:
    Thanks for that. I tried the exact thing last weekend. I deleted over 17 accounts and only reduced the size of the file from 197MB to 174MB. Seems like there should have been a lot more as the 3-4 accounts that I am saving, are only about 2 years old.
    Did you keep any investment accounts?  From what I've seen investment accounts take up a disproportionately larger amount of the data file than spending accounts, especially if you have a lot of securities prices history (both for held securities and in watch lists).
    If you had deleted investment accounts, you might want to see which securities you no longer need in your Securities List and delete those.
    Another thing to look for and consider deleting:  Accounts (spending, investment, assets, liabilities) you had previously closed and hidden.
    The main issue I've experienced with deleting accounts in a data file is the mess it creates for any transfers that occurred between the retained accounts and the deleted accounts.  All those transfer categories will be lost and some transactions can be permanently deleted from the accounts you keep which can really mess up the account balances.  So, it is important to be aware of this and proceed cautiously.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW I read a post last night where you talked about Sync issues in 2020. After reading that Express Web Connect isn't the "most secure" way to download, I wanted to ask you if the alternative "Manual download of transactions" refers to using Web connect (download directly from my CU to Quicken), or in fact actually manually filling in the transaction info from the information on my CU site to Quicken Account register? I wasn't sure what "Manual Download actually meant. After some thought I've reached the bottom regarding how secure my financial information is. Also, is Quicken "Required" to inform users if hackers were to get into Quicken informatioN that might include our private information> I just tonight requested to have Quicken send me text alerts if something came up and what does that cover? I feel whatever is going on at Quicken is bigger than the sum of all the users! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.