Chase bank accounts and credit card

Whenever I try to open my Chase checking account or my Chase credit card account within Quicken (after a One Step Update) those accounts cause the software to lock up. I don't have this issue with Capital One or Fidelity accounts, e.g.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Good evening Tyka.

Well this is different. I went to Mobile & Web and found this message: "We could not retrieve your cloud account information. Please check your internet connection and try again."

Since I'm responding to emails and checking Facebook, I know internet is live.

I decided to try and update my Quicken jic that would reset. But I received this message:

"Quicken Online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait ten minutes and try again."

Waited 10 minutes and got the same message.

:(

Next? :)

Alvin Bailey
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: How to Resolve the Error Message, "Quicken Online Service is Unavailable"

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @alvin1ibrarian

Can you tell us a little more about what "lock up" actually means?  Do the software become unusable so that you need ctrl+alt+del. or is it something else?  Also how are you connecting to Chase (direct connect, express web connect, web connect)?  Did this just start or has it been happening for some time.  When you say "after a One Step Update" are you saying that whenever those accounts are part of a OSU - that Q "locks up", or is it when you update only those Chase accounts?

Please get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the questions! They do help me focus.

I use Direct Connect for the Chase accounts.

My normal practice is to start Quicken and do a One Step update. However, I just started Q without doing an update and went straight to my Chase accounts.

The software becomes unstable. Either I receive the message "Quicken Windows is not responding" and you get two choices: Close it down or Wait for it to respond. Or I receiving the spinning blue dot and have to ctrl-alt-dlt.

So, whenever I try to do something with Chase checking or credit card account Quicken is "unhappy."

When I do run the One Step update, it has been taking awhile to run, but it does finally update (with no error messages). An annoyance but not a hard fail. I see the flags by my Chase accounts indicating there are transactions to review, but can't get there.

I do not have the any problems with my Discover, American Express, Fidelity, or Capital One accounts.

Hope that clarifies.

Thanks,

Alvin Bailey
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Alvin,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

I would recommend running the Validate & Repair tool on the data file from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    Good evening Tyka. I ran the validate file. And a number of errors were corrected. I tried to attach a copy for you to review but this message box doesn't like txt files. In any case, the problem still exists.

After I validate the file. I closed Q and opened. Then chose the Chase credit card and immediately the blue spinning wheel and ...

Thanks for looking into this.

Yours,

Alvin Bailey
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Alvin,

Thank you for the response and the additional details. 

If you have not done so already, I would start by resetting the Quicken cloud. 

1. Go to Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web 

2. Click Reset your cloud data. 

Please let me know if this freezing continues after this step.

-Quicken Tyka 

~~~***~~~
  • alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    Good evening Tyka.

Well this is different. I went to Mobile & Web and found this message: "We could not retrieve your cloud account information. Please check your internet connection and try again."

I decided to try and update my Quicken jic that would reset. But I received this message:

"Quicken Online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait ten minutes and try again."

Alvin Bailey
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Good evening Tyka.

Alvin Bailey
    If you haven't already, you may want to review: FAQ: How to Resolve the Error Message, "Quicken Online Service is Unavailable"
  • alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    TY Sherlock for the clue about the FAQ. That resolved the connection issue and the Mobile & Web access. I was able to download a new release of Quicken and then the accounts all worked.

The performance for all accounts is now very sluggish, but functioning. I'll search the community to see if there's any wisdom on performance issues.

TY all for your help.
  • alvin1ibrarian
    alvin1ibrarian Member ✭✭
    Well, we fixed this a few days ago. But tonight the problem has returned. Chase accounts locking up the system. Hard to imagine it needs another cloud reset. Is that still the next step?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Well, we fixed this a few days ago. But tonight the problem has returned. Chase accounts locking up the system. Hard to imagine it needs another cloud reset. Is that still the next step?
    Note:  The fix is not a cloud reset.

Once you get the error, there is a bug that may prevent the error state from being cleared.  So, basically, when you first get the error, you're supposed to wait ten minutes.  Then, if the error persists, you're supposed to reset the Quicken ID associated with the Quicken file.  When the bug is fixed, the error should not persist.