How to delete a placeholder transaction in an investment account

How can I delete a placeholder transaction in an investment account

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Select the placeholder transaction and Delete.

To be able to view the placeholder in the investment account, you should check Show hidden transactions preference: select Edit > Preferences...

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, make sure the Placeholder is visible in the account's transaction list (register) Go to Edit > Preferences > Investing Transactions and make sure Show Hidden Transactions is checked.

Then highlight the transaction and click on the Delete button. Note you may need to scroll the transaction horizontally to reveal the button.

QWin Premier subscription
  • OttoMatic
    OttoMatic Member
    This doesn't work. The transaction does not scroll horizontally, and there is no delete button (only a Delete All button which warns that ALL placeholders will be deleted). I also tried the keyboard delete key and right clicking on the field to bring up commands such as delete. Nothing worked.

I need to enter a "Cover Short" transaction for an expired PUT contract to balance the number of shares.

I'm using the Quicken Premier subscription version.
  • OttoMatic
    OttoMatic Member
    I figured out a workaround. I went into the register transaction entries (placeholders are alphabetically sorted at the end of the register) instead of the placeholder table. That allowed me to right-click on the placeholder transaction and select delete.

I just imported my brokerage files - and now have 149 more placeholders to delete and replace. What fun! The Schwab brokerage files show "Expired" in the Action field, but Quicken ignores those records. I hope they fix this in the future.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    CTRL-D should always work to delete a. selected transaction.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I need to enter a "Cover Short" transaction for an expired PUT contract to balance the number of shares."
    and
    "I just imported my brokerage files - and now have 149 more placeholders to delete and replace. What fun! The Schwab brokerage files show "Expired" in the Action field, but Quicken ignores those records. I hope they fix this in the future. "
    There is no "Expired" action available so the "they" that needs to fix this is Schwab.