Error OL-297-A

Since May 25/21, everytime I try to download transactions from both my credit union (Servus) accounts and credit cards (TD), I get the error message "Quicken is unable to establish an internet connection" [OL-297-A]. I followed all the suggestions in the Quicken Support section, and still no luck. Can someone help me?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just a few things to check ...

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Are you getting "Oops, something went wrong"?
    Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.

Ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled in Control Panel / Internet Options.
    In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
    Click Apply.
    Click the Content tab.
    Click the "Clear SSL State" button under Certificates.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Close IE. Close and restart Quicken.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Cashoo,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you have currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review and follow the error-specific troubleshooting instructions found in this support article regarding error OL-297.

Let us know how it goes! 

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Cashoo
    Cashoo Member
    I have already tried all the troubleshooting suggestions on your website re: error OL-297 - it did not fix my problem. My Quicken version is R33.7, for Windows 10.
    Thanks for your help!
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @Cashoo Thanks for the update and additional information.

Have you also tried configuring firewalls to see if it will resolve this error? If not, then next, please refer to this support article for instructions on Configuring Firewalls.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Cashoo
    Cashoo Member
    My laptop internet security is managed by AVG. I added www.quicken.com to th exceptions (white list), but it did not fix my issue.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Just a few things to check ...

Check if Windows Defender feature Ransomware protection is enabled.
    If so, configure it to add Quicken as an "allowed app" without turning off Ransomware protection. Perform the last step in:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7857675/faq-windows-defender-controlled-folder-access

Are you getting "Oops, something went wrong"?
    Have you recently enabled a VPN? If so, this might be the problem. Try turning the VPN off and see if that helps.

Is there a corporate or otherwise external firewall getting in the way? Contact the IT people maintaining the firewall and ask for permission.
    Does your Antivirus software allow Quicken to connect to the Internet?
    Quicken needs to be able to establish outbound Internet connections for the program to work.

Ensure that TLS 1.2 is enabled in Control Panel / Internet Options.
    In Windows Control Panel select Internet Options (or in Internet Explorer, click on Tools / Internet options.)
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll down the list to "Use TLS x.x" and click to put a checkmark on all available TLS choices, 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2.
    Click Apply.
    Click the Content tab.
    Click the "Clear SSL State" button under Certificates.
    Click Apply, then OK.
    Close IE. Close and restart Quicken.

• Cashoo
    Cashoo Member
    Thanks! The issues was my AVG VPN. I turned it off and was able to download transactions.
  • Janet46
    Janet46 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Earlier today I spent about an hour on Q Chat on exactly the same problem as Cashoo's. It was very frustrating. In the end the Q Chat person informed me that it was a QFX problem and that I had to contact all my financial institutions and credit cards and tell them to fix their QFX files. I am a 75 year old woman who knows much more about IT than she cares to, but even I knew it was not a QFX issue. When I asked the Chat guy what I should do if the banks, etc said it was not a QFX problem, he hung up on me. I then went to the Q Comm, found this thread and UKR's comprehensive, thoughtful and analytical answer. I then turned off VPN. Problem solved in about 2 minutes. Thank you UKR! Dear Q-Strongly suggest that you: [Removed-Disruptive/Unhelpful] add proven solutions to your boilerplate problem solution recommendations. In the experience of at least 2 of your users, "Restore Advanced Settings" does squat. Turning off the VPN works.
This discussion has been closed.