Reconciling issue - just upgraded to Quicken for Mac v6.2

Reconciling is not bringing over the items dated the same as the statement ending date. For instance, May 10 transactions are not showing in the reconciling window for the statement ending date of May 10. Is this a glitch in the new update? I will change the dates manually but it shouldn't be ignoring the transactions.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    I'm still a little confused by your posts. You have a statement dated May 10. If the credit card posting date was May 10, they should show up in your reconciliation register, which you want because they appear on the statement; if the credit card posting date was May 11, irrespective of what date you manually entered in the register, they would not show up in the reconciliation register, but they also wouldn't be on the credit card statement. Are you saying those transactions still dated May 11 are a problem? Or did you just want to understand why they didn't show up in the reconciliation register -- even though you wouldn't need to check them because they aren't on the statement ?

There's a preference setting which allows you to tell Quicken whether to use the posted date or your manually entered date. Just go to Preferences > Connected Services and look for "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you enter manually)". Many people will want that box checked, since the date a transaction clears the bank is when it will show up on your statement. But unchecking it allows Quicken to retain the date you enter -- if you entered the transaction manually on a different date and Quicken matches it to the downloaded transaction. If you don't typically enter transactions manually (e.g. when you write a check) and have Quicken match them, this may not be helpful. I am guessing, though, that if you wanted to force a transaction to a different date after-the-fact, if you entered a manual transaction and then dragged the downloaded transaction onto it, Quicken would merge them and the transaction date would be what this preference is set to.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @Madeline D It sounds like your credit card company is trying to be helpful by including the transactions dated May 10, even if they didn't officially post until May 11. So, if the credit card company is including May 11 transactions on your statement dated May 10, why not just enter the statement ending date as May 11 instead of May 10 in Quicken? In your Quicken reconciliation window, this will include the transactions posted May 11, which you can then check off as reconciled; if there are other May 11 transactions not on the statement, just don't check them. The reconciliation will include all the transactions on the statement, and only those. Problem solved, no? 

Answers

• Madeline D
    Madeline D Member ✭✭
    Quicken isn't letting me change the dates on those transactions. Even though the date is changed in the register, reconciliation is still not seeing those transactions. (transactions were downloaded from credit card online).
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    transactions that show up for reconciliation is based on the posted date for downloaded transactions, regardless of the recorded date for the transaction. Check to see if the posted date is after May 10.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• Madeline D
    Madeline D Member ✭✭
    Yes, the posted date was May 11. However, I manually changed the posted date to May 10. Some of the May 11 changed to May 10 showed up on the reconciliation showed up and others didn't. Why would that be? I had to change them because they showed up on the current credit card statement even though the ending date was May 10. These transactions have me stumped.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Posted date is supplied by the FI. You cannot change that date. I suspect you are thinking about the Entered Date. This is not the same thing.

You need to use the Transaction Inspector (either right-click on the transaction or go to the Edit menu and select Show Inspector). There you will see the Date Posted.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    Answer ✓
    I'm still a little confused by your posts. You have a statement dated May 10. If the credit card posting date was May 10, they should show up in your reconciliation register, which you want because they appear on the statement; if the credit card posting date was May 11, irrespective of what date you manually entered in the register, they would not show up in the reconciliation register, but they also wouldn't be on the credit card statement. Are you saying those transactions still dated May 11 are a problem? Or did you just want to understand why they didn't show up in the reconciliation register -- even though you wouldn't need to check them because they aren't on the statement ?

There's a preference setting which allows you to tell Quicken whether to use the posted date or your manually entered date. Just go to Preferences > Connected Services and look for "Use posted date for matched transactions (instead of the date you enter manually)". Many people will want that box checked, since the date a transaction clears the bank is when it will show up on your statement. But unchecking it allows Quicken to retain the date you enter -- if you entered the transaction manually on a different date and Quicken matches it to the downloaded transaction. If you don't typically enter transactions manually (e.g. when you write a check) and have Quicken match them, this may not be helpful. I am guessing, though, that if you wanted to force a transaction to a different date after-the-fact, if you entered a manual transaction and then dragged the downloaded transaction onto it, Quicken would merge them and the transaction date would be what this preference is set to.

• Madeline D
    Madeline D Member ✭✭
    The statement date is May 10. However, the posted date was May 11 but those appeared on the statement as May 11. The problem starts with the credit card company including those posted May 11 in the May 10th ending date statement. So, in Quicken I changed the date to May 10 yet they didn't appear on the reconcile. It's really weird that Quicken accepted my changed date in the ledger yet didn't include them in the reconcile. I only download transactions and I don't enter manually.
  • jacobs
    Answer ✓
    @Madeline D It sounds like your credit card company is trying to be helpful by including the transactions dated May 10, even if they didn't officially post until May 11. So, if the credit card company is including May 11 transactions on your statement dated May 10, why not just enter the statement ending date as May 11 instead of May 10 in Quicken? In your Quicken reconciliation window, this will include the transactions posted May 11, which you can then check off as reconciled; if there are other May 11 transactions not on the statement, just don't check them. The reconciliation will include all the transactions on the statement, and only those. Problem solved, no? 
  • Madeline D
    Madeline D Member ✭✭
    Oh my gosh. Such a simple answer. I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me.
This discussion has been closed.