Investment Asset Allocation Report - Sold Securities Listed with $0.01 or $0.02

I run the Investment Asset Allocation report without customizations and there are 6 SOLD Securities listed with values of $0.01 or $0.02. Why are SOLD securities listed on this report?

To try and fix this, for a couple of the Securities, I located the SELL transaction and Edited. I checked 'SELL ALL' and then approved the transaction. That didn't help.

I don't think it's a fractional share issue. For one of the Securities, I bought the Securities in even lots beginning in December 2020. Then, in April 2021, I sold 'ALL' 1,200 shares and reported as 'SOLD ALL' in quicken. That security continues to show in the Investment Allocation Report with a value of $0.01. The Security is not listed in Holdings in the brokerage account.

I've also done the File Validation functionality. That did not resolve the issue.

I suppose I could customize the Investment Asset Allocation report to exclude these 6 Securities, but why should I have to do that?

Is there some way to correct this that I'm just not seeing?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Experimenting further, I see something is a little off with the Asset Allocation Report.

The Fidelity Investment Grade Bond Fund has a downloaded allocation of 89% bonds, 9% Cash, and 2% Other.

In a test account, I bought 700 shares of it in lots of 100, 200, 200, and 200. I did not try buying all 700 at once. [Update - buying all 700 shares at once does not cause this problem]

Quicken correctly allocates 623 shares to Bonds, 63 shares to Cash, and 14 shares to bonds for a total of 700.

On 6/1 the price was 8.34 per share so the Cash should be worth 63 x 8.34 or 525.42 but both sections of the Asset Allocation report show $545.43 - off by a penny and the total holding is also off by a penny - 700 x $8.34 = $5838.00.  I don't see how this could be a rounding error.

If I sell all the shares on 6/2, the table is clear but the graph part of the report still shows the extra penny.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Ivgid

Thank you for visiting the Community to report this issue although I apologize that you have not received a response.

As I see that you have already attempting validating the file. I would next  I would save a backup and run the Validate & Repair as well as Rebuild Investing Lots from the File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and "Rebuild Investing Lots" then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to the FINAL sale transactions of such securities, and change the number of shares sold by clicking the "Sell All" box immediately above the quantity sold.
    Q recently went to supporting more digits in the quantity field, and I suspect that you've got an itty-bitty share balance remaining ...  such as 0.000001

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ivgid
    Ivgid Member
    I've tried the following to resolve:

1) before my first post, I had deleted the original 'Sold' transaction and re-entered and checked the box 'SOLD ALL'. That did not correct the issue.

2) Validate File / Rebuild Investing lots -- i've done that 3 times. That did not correct the issue.

I've tried to attached a snip of the SOLD securities that are still showing in Quicken's standard Investment Asset Allocation report.

Is there any way to correct this?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about attacking this from the Reports / Investing / Portfolio Values.  How many shares are shown there for these 6 securities?
    For the view you snipped, do these 6 show under any asset classes but 'Other'?  At what type of value levels (presumably more than 1-2 cents)?
  • Ivgid
    Ivgid Member
    I checked Reports/Investing/Portfolio Values - the 5 SOLD securities don't show up there.

I re-ran the Reports/Investing/Investment Asset Allocation report and customized it so it would only show the 5 'Sold' securities. I've attached a snip from the report.

These are all sold. Again, I edited the sale transaction and checked 'Sell All'. That didn't clear it.

I know, it's just pennies. It probably shouldn't bother me - but it does.

If these securities are showing up in reports after they're SOLD, then what else is going wrong in Quicken?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the LAST sale of each of those securities, EDIT the LAST sale transaction and, just below the security name, check "Sell All ...".
    Q recently expanded the number of decimals of each security, and you may have residual itty-bitty shares of these securities.  A "Sell All" will correct that.  Just don't let the total $ amount get changed.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ivgid
    Ivgid Member
    I've already edited the last sale of each of these securities and checked 'Sell All'. I've done that 3 or 4 times now. That does not fix the issue.

The expanded number of decimals can't be the issue.

For one of the securities, I purchased the first lot in Dec-2020. I purchased 100 shares. I had subsequent purchases in Jan, Feb and March 2021. Each purchase in 2021 was 200 shares. I sold the entire 700 shares in April. This security now shows up with a value of $0.01 in the Investment Asset Allocation report.

I don't see how it could have a fractional share somewhere that's worth $0.01
  • Jim_Harman
    One thing you can do to help see what is going on is to go to Edit > Preferences > Reports Only and set the number of decimal places to 6. Also you can change the ending date of the report to see when any tiny fractions of shares crept in.

When you bought these shares, did you specify the number of shares to purchase and the total cost, letting Quicken calculate the price per share? If not Quicken might have recorded something other than exactly 100 or 200 shares purchased.

In the asset allocation, was this security 100% in one asset class, or was it split among 2 or more? If split, what were the percentages?

I am trying to understand what might have happened in Quicken's calculations.

• Ivgid
    Ivgid Member
    In response to your questions:

1) Decimal Places - I changed the setting for Reports Only to 6 decimal places.

I then ran Reports / Investing / Portfolio Value - I customized to just show the 5 SOLD securities -- these securities do not appear on the report. That is, if I customize the report for these 5 securities, the report shows 0 as the result.

However, these 5 SOLD securities still show on the Investment Asset Allocation report.

2) When I buy shares, I enter everything into quicken manually as follows:

-- Stock/EFT -- I enter # of shares purchased + $ price per share -- I then let quicken calc the total which I check against trade confirm

-- Mutual Fund -- I enter # of shares purchased + $ total price -- I then let quicken calc the price per share. I verify against trade confirm.

3) Investment Asset Allocation report -- all 5 SOLD securities are reported in the in only 1 Asset Class - they are all reported in Other with values of $0.01 or $0.02

If I could find a way to export the detail on all these transactions, I could then delete all the original purchase and sales for each security and then manually reenter. Maybe the underlying data problem would be deleted as part of that process? Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to export from quicken to an excel spreadsheet.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Ivgid said:
    2) When I buy shares, I enter everything into quicken manually as follows:

-- Stock/EFT -- I enter # of shares purchased + $ price per share -- I then let quicken calc the total which I check against trade confirm

-- Mutual Fund -- I enter # of shares purchased + $ total price -- I then let quicken calc the price per share. I verify against trade confirm.
    We always recommend entering the two quantities you know exactly, which are number of shares and total price paid. Always let Q calculate the price per share. But I doubt that would fix your problem of a leftover penny or 3.
    I also see a few leftover cents for one MF (Fidelity Contra) in the allocation report. Sell All Shares doesn't fix it for me, either.
    Ivgid said:
    I know, it's just pennies. It probably shouldn't bother me - but it does.
    I choose to omit sold securities from current (not historical) reports and save the reports. Out of sight, out of mind.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Exporting is not difficult. 

You should start with the Investing > Investment Transactions report. Customize to include just the problem securities.

When it looks like you want, click on the Export button (between print and save). Pick Copy to clipboard then in Excel, Paste.
  • Jim_Harman
    Are the problems all with stocks and ETFS? Your approach for buying them is probably OK, but it is best to always let Quicken compute the price per share so you don't end up with 100.00001 shares or fractions of pennies in the total cost. You can use the computed price per share as a check to make sure you entered the other numbers correctly.

And on the Security detail pages for the problem securities, what is the asset allocation breakdown? (not the residue after selling) 
  • Jim_Harman
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓
    Experimenting further, I see something is a little off with the Asset Allocation Report.

The Fidelity Investment Grade Bond Fund has a downloaded allocation of 89% bonds, 9% Cash, and 2% Other.

In a test account, I bought 700 shares of it in lots of 100, 200, 200, and 200. I did not try buying all 700 at once. [Update - buying all 700 shares at once does not cause this problem]

Quicken correctly allocates 623 shares to Bonds, 63 shares to Cash, and 14 shares to bonds for a total of 700.

On 6/1 the price was 8.34 per share so the Cash should be worth 63 x 8.34 or 525.42 but both sections of the Asset Allocation report show $545.43 - off by a penny and the total holding is also off by a penny - 700 x $8.34 = $5838.00.  I don't see how this could be a rounding error.

If I sell all the shares on 6/2, the table is clear but the graph part of the report still shows the extra penny.

• Jim_Harman
    edited June 2021
    On further investigation, the issue appears to be related to the purchase price of the lots. The amount in the Balance column is apparently computed as the sum of (Cost Basis + Gain or Loss) for each lot and some rounding error is creeping in. 
  • Ivgid
    Ivgid Member
    :D

Jim_Harmon - thanks for the the allocation detail. Changing the allocation fixed the issue.

Here's what I did for each of the problem SOLD stocks -

-> Tools / Security List -- look up each security -

-> Open Security Detail View

-> Security Details / Edit Details

-> Asset Class Box --
    --- UNcheck 'Download Asset Class Information'
    --- Open 'Define' Asset Class mixture.
    ---- Adjusted % in 'Other' to zero (0)
    ---- Adjust % in largest Classes so that total allocated = 100%

Once this was done, the 5 'SOLD' stocks disappeared entirely from the Investment Asset Allocation report.

Woo Hoo! Solved.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that there is something bogus in the asset allocation picture, but I do not see that limited to the Asset Allocation Report.  Specifically, I have two securities Vanguard GNMA VFIIX and Vanguard Total Stock Mkt VTSMX that show with minimal values in the Asset Allocation Report (Reports / Investing / Asset Allocation).  In that report they are shown with -0.000002 and -0.000003 shares respectively for their dominant asset class.  They show respectively cost basis of -$0.03 and +$0.03 and current market values (balances) of $0.00 and $0.02.  They only appear in the report for the one asset class.  

If I view these securities in a Portfolio Value Report (PVR), they do not appear since my true holdings are 0 shares.  BUT if I subtotal that same report by asset class, the report matches the Asset Allocation Report.  (It is possible the Asset Allocation Report is just a more limited PVR that lacks the other 'subtotal' options.)  Subtotal by Asset Class is the only version of the PVR that shows these two securities holdings.  

Throwing away the asset allocation numbers for closed positions certainly hides the problem, but it does not 'solve' the problem (IMO).  If you buy them back at a future date perhaps in a different account, you'll want the actual allocations at that time.   

This discussion has been closed.