Quicken for Mac v6.2 Released

Comments

• debbeh
    debbeh Member ✭✭✭
    @Gilles9

Exactly what I have. Wow this is really puzzling.
  • lewisnd71
    lewisnd71 Member ✭✭
    What is puzzling to me is that Quicken hasn't been quick to fix it. I have been having trouble for months which I just did work-arounds for, until Quicken not being able to sync with the bank, or transposing whole and sometimes partial downloads into the wrong file in the Quicken software. This has been since subscription services cement us to some sort of centralized updated software.
    My effort here is to inform other Quicken-Mac users so they won't feel like they are going crazy, like I did for the longest time. AND to see if by sheer volume of my comments (along with others) we can get Q to take some of this stuff seriously, and respond to customer's complaints.
    If I had to renew my subscription now, I wouldn't give them another dime. And, just as I told everyone I knew to buy Quicken V.2 so many years ago, if they don't fix this, I'll be sure to tell everyone I know to ditch Quicken. Happy customers tell one friend; unhappy customers warn 10 strangers. Please fix Quicken for Mac.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Have you tried changing your bank account login to a much simpler password with only alphanumeric characters or at most on special character? I've seen the situation (not this particular bank) where one person can login and another not be traced to a special character in the password causing the issue.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gilles9
    Gilles9 Windows Beta, Mac Beta Beta
    Version 6.2.1 has just been released
    Did it fix it by any chance ?
  • RickO
    6.2.1 includes the ability to drag and drop INVESTMENT transactions. Kinda a big deal!
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    6.2.1 includes the ability to drag and drop INVESTMENT transactions. Kinda a big deal!
    Yes, I was surprised to see this feature enhancement in a .1 release, which typically consists of bug fixes. But we'll take progress whenever we can get it!
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • debbeh
    debbeh Member ✭✭✭
    @Gilles9

Nop, Unfortunately 6.2.1 did not fix it.

Yesterday night I did download Quicken to a new Windows machine and Mac M1 Machine to try this one more time. Started from scratch with creating a new file for each test I did, Nothing worked same error. So basically I am very sure it is from Quicken side and they need to fix this.

@Quicken Team, When I called TD technical support to ask about this issue, they told me this could be Quicken's connection partner because this exact issue happened with another Budgeting app and they fixed it by changing the partner. They suggested that Quicken needs to add more partners or change the one you have.

Quicken is Good but this connectivity thing is really bad.
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    RickO said:

GREAT!!!!!! - thanks for the heads-up on this.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• Quicken Marcus
    Quicken Marcus Employee ✭✭✭✭

1. Reconcile functionality.
    My issue occurred after fixing a couple of transactions that were throwing off the balance. I now believed my account should reconcile, so rather than  continuing to reconcile one month at a time, I wanted to jump right to the end. I clicked the reconcile button and this time chose "Use online balance." However, Quicken still is under the impression that I only want to reconcile through 2/28/2021. Instead of showing me all the transactions through today, it's only showing me transactions through 2/28/2021. It basically is forcing me to continue using the "Use statement balance" option.
    This seems like a bug. You should be able to move between statement and online balance reconcile and the online balance reconcile should always use the date of the last online balance update as the reconcile date. I'll investigate more and will file an issue.

2. This definitely might be a design decision because I was able to recreate it in 6.1.x, but I'll list it here just in case as it scared me and I really don't think it should work this way.

I download all my transactions across many accounts. Some of these transactions are transfers between accounts, and when I categorize the transfer (e.g. checking to savings) Quicken usually helpfully finds a matching transaction on the other side and offers to link them. Great.

The other day I was categorizing a transfer, and I accidentally selected the wrong account as the destination account. As Quicken did not find a matching transaction (since it was the wrong account), it created a new linked transaction in the wrong account. I realize that this is by design and often useful/helpful. In my situation this was not desirable, and fortunately, I caught the issue fairly quickly, and I "fixed" it by deleting the newly created linked transaction.

Here's the bug / questionable design decision: when I deleted the newly created linked transaction (that was accidentally created in the wrong account), the original downloaded transaction was also deleted!
    I agree that the user should be warned before deleting the transaction. I'm surprised this didn't work. I'll try to repro and will file a ticket.  Jacobs is correct in that it's a single transaction being displayed in 2 accounts which is why when you delete it in one place it gets deleted in both accounts. smeyer is also correct in that Q2007 and QWin treated these as 2 separate transactions that are simply linked so the models are different in the different products.
    *Side note: a "Trash bin" for deleted transactions would have been very welcome in this instance.
    This is a great idea. I used to work on a product called Evernote and we added that functionality. I think it made the product simpler and safer to use. As always, there's a lot we can do so not sure when we'll get to it but I definitely wanted to acknowledge that I agree that the trash bin model is a good one.
  • RickO
    Just a thought... you can pretty easily create your own trash bin workaround. Just create a Cash account called Trash Bin. Instead of deleting transactions, drag and drop them into this account. You can name it so it's at the top of the Separate Accounts, so it's balance doesn't affect your net worth. Not ideal, but something to consider.
  • rbvincentsr
    rbvincentsr Member ✭✭
    I have been using Quicken since 1988. Since updating to the latest version for Mac, when I sync my data with financial institutions, I get a message telling me my data is not correct, then I get additional items that I have to delete. This has happened twice and I have not synched since Saturday.
  • R J
    R J Member
    I have accounts in 2 different banks it will download one bank not the other. I've tried for 2 weeks.
  • Chris Br
    Chris Br Member
    This release just made the USAA duplicate transaction problem even worse. Why can't this be fixed? It is getting beyond irritating and I am ready to ditch Quicken and take my money elsewhere.
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta

1. Reconcile functionality.
    It basically is forcing me to continue using the "Use statement balance" option.
    This seems like a bug. You should be able to move between statement and online balance reconcile and the online balance reconcile should always use the date of the last online balance update as the reconcile date. I'll investigate more and will file an issue.

Here's the bug / questionable design decision: when I deleted the newly created linked transaction (that was accidentally created in the wrong account), the original downloaded transaction was also deleted!
    I agree that the user should be warned before deleting the transaction. I'm surprised this didn't work. I'll try to repro and will file a ticket. 
    *Side note: a "Trash bin" for deleted transactions would have been very welcome in this instance.
    This is a great idea. I used to work on a product called Evernote and we added that functionality. I think it made the product simpler and safer to use. As always, there's a lot we can do so not sure when we'll get to it but I definitely wanted to acknowledge that I agree that the trash bin model is a good one.

Thank you so much for acknowledging the issues I reported; I appreciate it. If there's any additional information I can provide that would be helpful, please let me know.

Also - I'm a longtime Evernote user, so I've probably used / benefited from some of your past work. :) Completely agree that a trash bin makes the product safer and less stressful to use. Happy to know that it might be considered one day.

RickO said:
    Just a thought... you can pretty easily create your own trash bin workaround. Just create a Cash account called Trash Bin. Instead of deleting transactions, drag and drop them into this account. You can name it so it's at the top of the Separate Accounts, so it's balance doesn't affect your net worth. Not ideal, but something to consider.
    Interesting suggestion. So I could name it something like "z_Trash" to have it sorted at the top. I haven't used the "Separate Accounts" feature yet and I'm not that familiar with it. Any side effects you can think of, or would this be completely benign? I'd want to ensure that any transactions in this account would be completely omitted from any reports. I also search in the "All Transactions" view quite a bit and I wouldn't want to accidentally return results from my "Trash" account!
  • RickO
    Separate Accounts are grouped at the bottom of the sidebar. You could leave the Separate Accounts group expanded so the Trash account would always show. No need to name it specially. Separate Account transactions are excluded from the All Transactions register (but not Hidden accounts BTW). I can't think of any other side effects. The Trash account would display some meaningless balance in the sidebar that you would have to ignore.
  • Quicken Marcus
    lewisnd71 said:
    Quicken has been downloading accounts well for years. NOW, it has decided that since I have two checking accounts at the same institution, and they are associated to two different named accounts in Quicken, that they can just dump transactions into whichever Q folder they want to. Also, the download failed to pick up deposits that are showing in the electronic access in my credit union. Major screw-ups! Please tell me what the heck is going on! this is with q for mac. Thanks. Dennis Lewis
    lewisnd71, did this just start happening in 6.2, or did this start happening in an earlier release. The reason I ask is that the software code that downloads transactions didn't change in years prior to 6.2 so when this type of thing occurs it's typically because something changed at the bank which in turn messes up our aggregation partner who has trouble processing the changes. 6.2 is different because lots of things have changed in the transaction download pipeline in the Quicken Mac client.  Given that we aren't seeing widespread issues like this and 6.2 appears to be performing better than the old technology, I have to assume this is due to a problem with the bank and our aggregation partner.  In these cases, the best thing to do is to work with our Care team who has a direct link to our data quality team, and they can elevate your issue to the bank and aggregation partner.  The Care team will need to know your bank and they will also need to get your log files so that they can pass this information along to our data quality team to investigate and elevate the issue.
  • jacobs
    While the separate "Trash" account seems like a clever hack, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth in practice. You'd have to be really disciplined to ever delete anything, bit move it to the Trash account. You'd need a second investment Trash account for investment transactions, which can't be co-mingled with banking transactions. And if a transaction you move to "Trash" is a transfer to another account, you'd need to edit the transaction to remove the transfer. But if you do it, let us know in a couple months how it works, and if it saves your bacon. ;)
  • RickO
    Yup, hence my statement of "not ideal". I agree it would be a pain. Was just spitballing.
  • Quicken Marcus
    debbeh said:
    Hi Quicken,
    This still did not solve my connectivity to TD Canada Trust, which is not working since Nov.
    waiting for the fix to have the Auto download working again.

Please fix this.
    debbeh, it sounds like you did everything right. I can see in another forum post that you're working with our Care team and provided them logs so I'm pretty sure your issue is on our data quality team's radar.  In full transparency, Quicken has very little control over whether transaction download issues are fixed quickly or not. Our data quality team files an issue with our aggregation partner and then the aggregation partner will reach out to the bank in question. The banks don't necessarily see transaction download issues with Quicken or any other personal finance app as being a high priority so they will fix an issue whenever they get around to it. Sometimes it's not the bank's issue but is an issue with our aggregation partner and they prioritize fixes based on the number of customers impacted so if you're at a small regional bank it may take a lot longer to fix than a bank such as Chase.  I don't know if this is necessarily the situation with TD Canada Trust. It sounds like transaction downloads are working for Gilles9 so there may not be a lot of people that are running into the issue you're seeing which will impact how quickly the team can diagnose and fix the problem.  I can tell you that we care a lot about data download quality and we have a meeting with our execs every week to go over how well transaction downloads are working for customers but the reality is that we don't control when fixes are actually implemented and rolled out.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Chris Br said:
    This release just made the USAA duplicate transaction problem even worse. Why can't this be fixed? It is getting beyond irritating and I am ready to ditch Quicken and take my money elsewhere.
    Chris Br, I don't think there's anything in 6.2 that would cause this to get worse. One thing you can look at is to turn on the FITIDs column in your register and then look at the duplicate transactions. Are you seeing different FITIDs for the same transaction? If so, this is a bug by the bank or our aggregation service. If the FITIDs are the same, then this is a Quicken Mac bug.  If they are different, we do try to de-dupe these because so many banks get this wrong so are the transactions the same amounts and on the same day or are they different in any way? Do you see any pattern with why some transactions are duplicated but others aren't?  We need details regarding your specific situation because this is not something every Quicken customer is seeing making this harder to diagnose and fix.
  • Quicken Marcus
    jshaf said:
    Thanks for updating but is this where the users are asking for improvements? Bank Connectivity - always. Reconciliation work - not sure. In 25 years of using quicken I have never used the reconciliation tool. But, I do use the budget and reports weekly, if not daily. Can we get the budget and reporting on par with the windows version? Thank you for the work improving these other areas.
    Actually, a large percentage of Quicken users reconcile so this is an important feature for a lot of people. With that said, I also agree that budgeting and reporting are important. Just because you don't see a new feature in one release doesn't mean nothing was being worked on in those areas during that period. In fact, I think a lot of customers are going to be really happy with the 6.3 release because there are some major improvements coming.
  • debbeh
    debbeh Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Marcus,

The Strange thing is when I connect my business accounts, which uses the same TD website only change is the user name and password, it connects fine. Only connecting personal accounts has issues. I tried my account, my wife’s account and my Son’s. All personal account return error 101. But our both business accounts connect fine.

I did call Quicken support and shared my screen. He saw exactly what is happening and how my business can connect but personal can not. Still could not help and only ask for the logs. This is going on since Nov 2020.

My question to Quicken, if your connectivity partner has problems or slow in solving issues. Why don’t you have other partners to the list. For example, I tried YNAB and faced one issue in my credit card download. When I chatted with them, they switched me to another connection partner and problem solved. It took 10 minutes. Not 7 months and no solution. I love Quicken’s interface that’s why I did not continue with the other budgeting app. But now it’s getting difficult for me to manually download about 8 files every other day to track my expense and can not do it on the phone app.

I hope this is going to be solved in 6.3

By the way, this only happened after updating the software to 6.0.1 when I was on 6.0 and before everything was fine.
  • jacobs
    @Quicken Marcus I wanted to point you to this brief thread in which a user has documented that his Quicken data file size balloons by a factor of 10 after using the new drag-and-drop for investment transactions added in version 6.2.1. I'm not seeing this myself, but I have no clue how this could be happening. I thought you might want to contact the user to see if this can be replicated. 
  • John Schulte
    John Schulte Member
    edited June 2021
    Support,
    Been a user of quicken for over 20 years. Every month I reconcile the checkbook to the penny.
    Your latest (Mac subscription) update has a new reconciliation format- did not balance. Off by thousands of dollars. Even after the ‘adjustment’, not even close to my bank statement. I plan to go line by line to find the errors. Please look into this as it is a critical issue.
    Advise.
    John Schulte
    [Removed-Privacy]
  • jacobs
    @John Schulte  Two things for you to know… First, this forum isn't Quicken Support; it's primarily a user-to-user forum, with some help from a few Quicken moderators. If you want to contact Quicken Support, it's via phone or text chat. If you use their phone support, a representative can screen share your Quicken to see what you're seeing and help you walk through the reconciliation.

Second, the latest update (6.2.1) shouldn't have changed anything in the reconciliation process, except cosmetically on the startup screen and top of the reconcile window. Or did you recently upgrade from some older version of Quicken?

If you can identify what is off in your reconciliation, perhaps folks here can offer suggestions. The first question I'd have about that is what the Reconciliation History screen shows. Are your prior reconciliations this year showing no discrepancies or errors? 
  • Quicken Marcus
    jacobs said:
    @Quicken Marcus I wanted to point you to this brief thread in which a user has documented that his Quicken data file size balloons by a factor of 10 after using the new drag-and-drop for investment transactions added in version 6.2.1. I'm not seeing this myself, but I have no clue how this could be happening. I thought you might want to contact the user to see if this can be replicated. 
    Thank you. I just heard that in my meeting with our Care agents. We're reaching out to the customer and will investigate.
  • Quicken Marcus
    Support,
    Been a user of quicken for over 20 years. Every month I reconcile the checkbook to the penny.
    Your latest (Mac subscription) update has a new reconciliation format- did not balance. Off by thousands of dollars. Even after the ‘adjustment’, not even close to my bank statement. I plan to go line by line to find the errors. Please look into this as it is a critical issue.
    Advise.
    John Schulte
    [Removed-Privacy]
    Hi John, As @jacobs suggested most of the changes we made were cosmetic but there were some tweaks that were made that could result in issues. @Just Lurking ran into one where switching between Statement reconcile to Online reconcile could result in an issue with the end date filtering. I agree with @jacobs that if the issue isn't obvious then do call our Care team on the phone.  Part of the benefit of being a Quicken subscriber is being able to talk to a person directly and if you discover that it's a bug in the software, they'll be able to report it to the development team with all of the information we need to fix the issue.
  • Roger Spencer
    Roger Spencer Member ✭✭
    I miss having the prior balance pre-populated in reconcile.
  • Gary Willett
    Gary Willett Member ✭✭
    > @Roger Spencer said:
    > I miss having the prior balance pre-populated in reconcile.

Roger - I haven't yet upgraded, I'm still on Version 6.1.1 (Build 601.37924.100).
    I agree with you on this. Do you (or any other user) know why populating the prior balance on reconcile was deleted?
  • Rick2022
    Rick2022 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Roger Spencer  @Gary Willett

It doesn't display in that window but in that window is a button (lower left) labelled "History".  If you click that button, you'll get the prior balance and each prior reconciled balance back until either version 6.0 or 6.1.  Can't remember which.  Mine goes back to 11/30/2020.

Seems it would be easy though for Quicken to populate the prior balance instead of displaying "Optional" in gray.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1994