Quicken downloads everything except payees from my credit union.

Options
Quicken downloads everything except payees from my credit union. I have the latest version of Quicken, as far as I recall I didn't have this problem before i updated recently from qu home and business 2015 to the current setup.

All other accounts such as 15 credit card accounts download all fields just fine. Campus Usa is the credit union.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Debit cards and online payments should download payees for a bank account, but checks may download something like "Share Draft 123" unless you have entered the transactions in advance. 

Please describe in more detail what you are seeing.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • maryquitecontrary
    Options
    I have successfully been downloading transactions into Quicken for many years. This is a new thing to me.

When I download transactions, they come in below the register of the account I am looking at. For all other accounts, the Payee category shows the name of the payee. But for the credit union, under payee, it shows "/withdrawal ACH blah blah blah".

When I accept the transactions into the Credit Union register, the Payee field is blank, but the "/ withdrawal ACH blah blah blah" shows up under the Memo field. Thus I have to type into the payee field myself.

For all other accounts, the Payee shows up correctly, and the /withdrawal blah blah blah is properly in the memo field. When I accept the transactions into the register everything displays properly.

I enclose screenshots of the campus credit union transaction download, and a typical credit card download. compare the Payee field in each.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @maryquitecontrary

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your payees. I'm wondering here if we may need to reset the connection to your bank in order to get the payee downloading properly. I'll leave steps down below on how to do so.

First we'll try deactivating all of the accounts for the affected FI. You can do so by following the article listed down below.

https://www.quicken.com/support/deactivate-online-banking-services-quicken-account

Once all the accounts are deactivated go ahead and follow the article here on reconnecting the accounts.

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216277

Once you get a chance to try these steps, please let us know what you find.  From there we'll better understand our next steps/options.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think it would also be helpful if you could include a snippet from your OFX log file showing one or more of the credit union's downloaded transactions.
    My guess is that the CU doesn't properly send a payee name and all you get is a blank followed by a slash and the Memo text.
    To access the OFX log file in Quicken go to Help / Log Files.
    Select the OFX log file.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom and search backwards these transactions.
    Capture screenshots of a couple transactions and include them here, same as you included the other two images.
    This will show us what is being received and, hopefully, what needs to be done to correct the issue.
    IMHO, if data were formatted and transmitted properly, you'd see, e.g.
    Share Draft 5160             [together with 5160 in the Num field so the paper check is properly recognized]
    Home Banking Transfer - dinner, thank you ...etc.
    The slashes to separate data aren't necessary. Properly separating data into downloaded Payee Name and Memo fields is.
  • maryquitecontrary
    Options
    Here is the snippet from the ofx log for several recent transactions that had the problem.
    And checks numbers do not show up in the check # box either.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @maryquitecontrary

Thank you for the screenshots and additional details. When you visit the Campus USA website, do you seen an option to download QFX files for transactions?

If not, do they have an option to download a CSV file of the transactions? This helps determines if the issue is coming from the website itself. Please let us know what you find! 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • maryquitecontrary
    Options
    yes i downloaded the qfx file but I dont know what to do with it. so i downloaded a csv file, opened it in excel and enclose a snippet of it.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What connection type are you using?
    I notice that  Campus Usa has Direct Connect.  That would be the best one to use.
    But it also means that if the NAME field isn't there, it is their problem, only they can fix it.

Web Connect is downloading and importing the QFX file (opening the file in your web browser or Windows File Explorer should import it, and you can do it from the File -> File Import -> Web Connect (.QFX) menu ).  The QFX file is the "response" that Quicken would get from Direct Connect when asking for the transactions.  You can look at it with Notepad to see if it has the same problem where the NAME field is missing.

Express Web Connect is the Intuit servers trying to automate getting the transactions, and given that there is a QFX file available, it would probably have the same results.

I suspect that you would have to convince 
     Campus Usa to fix the problem and/or workaround their mistake.

The renaming rules look at the memo as well as the payee, so you should be able to use those to fix up the payee name.  Tools -> Renaming Rules
    I think it doesn't matter is "Quicken Name" or "payee contains" is selected, but you can select where I have indicated to change it.

Note that the "contains" expects "words", so the information is all crammed together without spaces, you might run into problems.

And in your preferences make sure you are using the renaming rules.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • maryquitecontrary
    Options
    i downloaded a qfx file and looked at it with notepad. here is a snippet of it. It appears that this file sends a "name" as well as all the other items, if I am interpreting it correctly.

For now I am using renaming rules to fix the problem. thank you for your assistance. I will also contact the Credit Union online help people about this, although I suspect even if it's their problem they will not be able to correct it. They spend all their money on fancy new physical facilities and crow about how much money they save members on fees.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well you are correct the QFX file has the NAME field, but looking at it, it is pretty useless.  All the important information is in the MEMO field.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.