Is there a size limit to Quicken files.

My registers keep jumping back and forth and sometimes close out the program. At other times it will finally settle down so I can work on my accounts. I spent over an hour with a Quicken technician and he was unable to correct problem (case #8670565). His opinion was that I have to much data in my files. I have used Quicked since 1990.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please provide more details about your Quicken data file.

I'd like to know if you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding 16,000 transactions.

What is the file size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?

I'd also like to see the "File Information" window  (See below)

Is any cloud backup software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file while Quicken is running?
    What is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file  (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

How much total RAM do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager will give you this information. 80% or higher?

What version of Windows are you running?

About file size and number of transactions:

You can find out how many transactions you have in your data file by doing this:
    - Click Tools / Account List. This should tell you how many transactions you have in each of your accounts in an optional column, "# of Transactions".
    If this column is not shown in the Account List, click the Options button at the bottom of the Account List window, then click "Number of Transactions" to add the column.

- File Information: Click Help in the Menu Bar. CTRL+click About Quicken and it'll give you a File Information box. Please capture an image snapshot of this File Information box and attach it here.
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and newer) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only.

To attach the image here please review

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

• bruciebabe
    bruciebabe Member ✭✭
    How do I respond to your email with my answers?
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I respond to your email with my answers?

Post them here ... in exactly the same way that you posted this comment.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• bruciebabe
    bruciebabe Member ✭✭
    I'd like to know if

you have account registers where a single account is approaching or exceeding

16,000 transactions.
    1checking file with 10,600, another with 8,081. Could not keep account file open to check other file sizes.>

>
    What is the file

> size, in KB, as shown by Windows File Explorer?
    > 113,404KB
    >

>
    I'd also like to

> see the "File Information" window

> (See below)
    > (will send under seperate cover)
    >

>
    Is any cloud backup

> software (Dropbox, MS OneDrive, etc.) actively accessing your Quicken data file

> while Quicken is running?
    >
    NoWhat is the complete path and file name of your Quicken data file (e.g. C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken\QDATA.QDF)?

C:\Program Files\Quicken\BRUCE&EU

How much total RAM

do you have installed? How much of the available RAM is in use? Task Manager

will give you this information. 80% or higher?
    6.0 installed, 5.1 (86% in use)

What version of

Windows are you running?
    Windows 10
  • bruciebabe
    bruciebabe Member ✭✭
    image.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-28 142929 (2)-1.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-28 142929 (2)-2.png
    Flag
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for your answer.
    Biggest problem about Quicken which I can see from your response is the location of your Quicken data file.
    Windows, newer versions beginning with Windows 7, IIRC, do not allow the storage of data files of any type within the Program Files folder structure. You should be (or have been) getting nasty messages from Windows about that fact.
    Please shut down Quicken and move your data file to C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken. When done, double-click the file in its new location to start Quicken using it (and memorizing its new location)
    Let's see if that makes Quicken behave a little better. For better performance, it might also be a good idea to shut down the one or the other running program that is not immediately needed.