Please Explain the effect on online accounts in the new-release copy function

In Quicken for Windows, does the new-release copy function disconnect all online accounts? It appears to be doing that on data file. If I make a copy now, the online accounts in the copy are no longer online accounts. The accounts remain set up for online syncing in the original. This is new in the latest release or next to latest release. In previous versions the copies kept the online synch information with the copy.

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't already, you may want to review the release notes: https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

A more detailed explanation is provided in the help document: https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=17891968
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Jay Gourley,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Yes, the new file copy process does disconnect all online accounts and will require you to (re-)establish online connections.

The reason for this is to improve troubleshooting and resolution for issues related to data file damage as well as online/internal server issues. This process works the same as though you would be creating a brand new data file and establishing online account connections for the first time rather than "repairing" existing connections that may be damaged in the original file.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Jay Gourley
    Jay Gourley Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Sherlock and Anja. Your replies answer my immediate question. But now I have follow-up. It used to be true that the best practice ensure data file integrity was to use Quicken to make a record-by-record copy of the data file and then validate that copy. What is the best practice now that that is no longer practical? I don't want to wait until corruption becomes so bad that I notice the problem and then have to go far back in time for a restorable backup.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Sherlock and Anja. Your replies answer my immediate question. But now I have follow-up. It used to be true that the best practice ensure data file integrity was to use Quicken to make a record-by-record copy of the data file and then validate that copy. What is the best practice now that that is no longer practical? I don't want to wait until corruption becomes so bad that I notice the problem and then have to go far back in time for a restorable backup.
    It was not best practice to Copy and Validate to ensure data file integrity.  The process is only recommended when the Quicken file has been corrupted and we no longer have access to a good backup.  As you noted, after you've validated the copy, you'll need to reestablish the Online Services.  It is more work but I would not say it is no longer practical.
This discussion has been closed.