Apple card statements not opening in Quicken

Hello -

I've been trying to download into Quicken my Apple Card statement for June, 2021. I had previously been able to open earlier months.

I'm using latest Windows running in Parallels on a Mac running the latest OS of that.

In the past I had exported it as a QFX file from the Wallet app on my iPhone, transferred it via AirDrop and it opened in Quicken as a download.

This month that procedure doesn't seem to work. It either tells me the function is not supported or it opens it as a text file on my Mac. I've tried selecting Quicken as the app to open it, and tried importing the downloaded file using Quicken's file import menu option. All to no success.

Any help resolving this would be appreciated.

Patrick

Best Answers

• Patrick Stafford Golden
    Patrick Stafford Golden Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    > @Austin@ said:
    > Just out of curiosity, does the exported file have the .qfx extension at the end of the file name? I’m just thinking maybe a missing file extension could be causing Quicken to not recognize it as a valid QFX file. If it is missing, I’d try renaming the file so it does explicitly include “.qfx” at the end. Not sure if you’ve already tried that or if it will make any difference, but just a thought. 

It does have that extension, but I’ll try editing the name of it to try.
    Answer ✓
    > @Patrick Stafford Golden said:
    > > @Austin@ said:
    > > Just out of curiosity, does the exported file have the .qfx extension at the end of the file name? I’m just thinking maybe a missing file extension could be causing Quicken to not recognize it as a valid QFX file. If it is missing, I’d try renaming the file so it does explicitly include “.qfx” at the end. Not sure if you’ve already tried that or if it will make any difference, but just a thought. 
    >
    > It does have that extension, but I’ll try editing the name of it to try.

I went back to one of the downloads I had and edited it to include the .qfx extension and that did work. Another file that had that same extension wouldn't open previously so I don't know what made this time special. As long as it works! I'll see if I'm able to recreate that success when I download the July statement. Thanks!

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited July 2021
    Hello @Patrick Stafford Golden,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Being that the issue you are experiencing can have multiple causes; I recommend contacting Quicken Support directly instead as you may need extensive troubleshooting done and/or possible escalation if they see fit. 

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tried chatting with Quicken support. They had me validate the file and try the process again. No joy.

They then told me to report it to Quicken through the application, which I did. But was discouraged by the first line of the report page that says "We will not respond to your problem directly."
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Thank you for your response and follow-up.

Although it is correct that you do not receive a response for problem reports submitted through the program, these submissions do go directly to a database that is accessible by members of our Product and Development teams as well as our Tier 2 support agents.

These reports are reviewed daily, mainly to track multiple reports of the same trending issues or to request log files for troubleshooting/escalation purposes. When multiple reports of the same issue are received, then those reports are investigated further. Reports that can be replicated or verified are then submitted as tickets to the proper channels.

Additionally, I do recommend reaching out to Apple directly as .qfx files are provided by the financial institutions directly and oftentimes require .qfx related issues to be escalated on their end as well.

I apologize for being unable to resolve this issue for you from here in the Community, however, I hope this information serves to be useful to you! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I’ll ask the Apple community too. If I get help from any source I’ll be sure to share it here.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    You can also open the QFX file in a text editor and make sure that there are in fact any transactions in it at all.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Part of the problem is that it did open in a text form instead as a Quicken download. And it does include transactions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    Part of the problem is that it did open in a text form instead as a Quicken download. And it does include transactions.
    In that case try these troubleshooting steps, especially the section on if the QFX file doesn’t open in Quicken.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/web-connect-troubleshooting
    Signature:
  • Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Just out of curiosity, does the exported file have the .qfx extension at the end of the file name? I’m just thinking maybe a missing file extension could be causing Quicken to not recognize it as a valid QFX file. If it is missing, I’d try renaming the file so it does explicitly include “.qfx” at the end. Not sure if you’ve already tried that or if it will make any difference, but just a thought. 
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    I"ve never had luck with opening the Apple card download in my Windows Quicken.  I read somewhere that it worked only for the Mac Quicken and quit trying.  Now I am curious and will try again.  But sounds like the Apple card does not support Windows.....
    Answer ✓
    > @Austin@ said:
    > Just out of curiosity, does the exported file have the .qfx extension at the end of the file name? I’m just thinking maybe a missing file extension could be causing Quicken to not recognize it as a valid QFX file. If it is missing, I’d try renaming the file so it does explicitly include “.qfx” at the end. Not sure if you’ve already tried that or if it will make any difference, but just a thought. 

It does have that extension, but I’ll try editing the name of it to try.
  • > @Beijing Mac said:
    > I"ve never had luck with opening the Apple card download in my Windows Quicken.  I read somewhere that it worked only for the Mac Quicken and quit trying.  Now I am curious and will try again.  But sounds like the Apple card does not support Windows.....

We’ll it did work a couple times in past months in Quicken Windows, which is why this most recent issue is so frustrating.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Did you follow the instructions and try importing it through the file menu?
    Signature:
  • I did, but it wouldn't read the file. I found the solution by editing the downloaded file description by adding the .qfx extension. But I had already downloaded a file that had that extension and it wouldn't open it. Not sure why changing the name of another file worked.
    Answer ✓
    > @Patrick Stafford Golden said:
    > > @Austin@ said:
    > > Just out of curiosity, does the exported file have the .qfx extension at the end of the file name? I’m just thinking maybe a missing file extension could be causing Quicken to not recognize it as a valid QFX file. If it is missing, I’d try renaming the file so it does explicitly include “.qfx” at the end. Not sure if you’ve already tried that or if it will make any difference, but just a thought. 
    >
    > It does have that extension, but I’ll try editing the name of it to try.

I went back to one of the downloads I had and edited it to include the .qfx extension and that did work. Another file that had that same extension wouldn't open previously so I don't know what made this time special. As long as it works! I'll see if I'm able to recreate that success when I download the July statement. Thanks!