Memorized Payee Issues

I have a reoccurring monthly rental income that I set up as a memorized payee along with split transactions for the category. However when the next payment comes in online instead of the transaction downloading to my quicken register with the memorized Payee set up for it along with its split transactions, it downloads to my register without the split transaction in its category replacing it with “other inc” in the category.

Why is quicken not accepting my memorized payee with its split transaction when it downloads the transaction from my bank account online into the register? Any ideas?? Much appreciated.

Kris

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the Memorized Payee list (Tools menu) to confirm that there is only one entry for the payee.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be best if you set this up as a Scheduled Reminder which executes a couple of days before due date. This creates a register transaction with all the splits. When the deposit arrives in a download on or after due date, Quicken will (should) be able to match the download to the already existing register transaction.

• KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    I tried scheduling a payment in Quicken with split transactions but what Quicken did was download the transaction from my website and ended up creating a duplicate transaction which threw off my numbers.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @KDJ21
    1. Was the memorized payee transaction entered into the register before the downloading of the matching transaction?
    2. Are the amounts for the two transactions exactly the same?
    3. Are you using automatic transactions entry mode where the transaction go directly into the register or are you accepting them through the Downloaded Transactions tab?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    1. Yes memorized transaction was entered a month before download. 2. Amounts are identical. 3. Transactions are all coming through automatically from my bank to quicken register via one step update
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @KDJ21

Thank you for providing those additional details, however, to clarify, is your Quicken set up to review downloaded transactions before they are entered into the register?

Or do your downloaded transactions automatically enter into the register?

If they are reviewed before being entered, do you have the option to manually match the downloaded transaction with the entered reminder?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Payee Name do you use for the Scheduled Reminder or Memorized Transaction?
    Is it exactly the same as the Payee Name of the downloaded transaction?
    If it isn't, check your Renaming Rules.

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings can be found for the detection and processing of transfer transactions in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date. Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.
    That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
     - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
     - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    KDJ21 said:
    1. Yes memorized transaction was entered a month before download. 2. Amounts are identical. 3. Transactions are all coming through automatically from my bank to quicken register via one step update
    You said that the memorize transaction was entered a month before the download. Was the date on or before the downloaded date?

And how far in advance is that date?
    I'm not sure it matters but it is possible that if the transaction is way in advance it might not match up with one downloaded.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • KDJ21
    KDJ21 Member ✭✭
    Memorized transaction was entered a month in advance
  • The code in the register stopped processing a percentage split transaction as a split transaction circa Quicken 2015. It has been using the first category of the memorized transaction as if there was no split. It obviously isn't using the memorized transaction type and is using the default.

The memorized payee list can still be used to effect a percentage split to a transaction already in the register. Right clicking on the memorized transaction with the percentage split and choosing "Use" will correctly apply a memorized percentage split to the current transaction in the open register.

This code invoked from the memorized payee list is not entirely bug-free. It seems to be able to retrieve the transaction total but is unable to retrieve the status and memo fields or doesn't use the data retrieved. The register transaction's memo and cleared status fields are inappropriately over-written; e.g. a memorized transaction with a blank memorized memo should have no effect on the memo stored in the register, instead it will erase an existing memo. A cleared transaction will be will be demoted to un-cleared unless memorized as cleared. A reconciled transaction will be demoted to un-cleared unless memorized as cleared in which case the transaction is demoted from reconciled to cleared. When set, memorized transaction's flag should only promote an un-cleared transaction to cleared and have no effect on a reconciled transaction. When the flag is not set in the memorized transaction it should have no effect on the cleared status of any transaction.

Historically, there has been a recurring bug preventing the code implementing the percentage split from retrieving the transaction's total amount from the register causing it to display a dialog box asking for it to be re-entered by the user. It seems to be in abeyance at the moment.