American Funds-Capital Group problem

youngje
youngje Member ✭✭
I am trying to set up download of an American Funds-Capital Group account to Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property version R32.12. I keep getting an error that others have reported, saying that I need a login and password with American Funds. I do have a login (I can get into the account on the web), but it does not work via Quicken. I have already tried using the SSN on the account as the ID, and that did not help. I am wondering if this is a two-factor authentication problem, as the account is set up for two-factor when logging into the website. I am not being asked to do two-factor in Quicken--I just get the error mentioned above.

Please note that I have followed the exact procedure listed on American Funds' website for logging in via Quicken.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Chris McNeil
    Chris McNeil Member
    Hey John I am having the same issue. Like you I have followed the guidance document/site from Capital Group for setting up the accounts. This worked for me in previous versions of Quicken but for some reason it no longer works for me when setting up the accounts. I am on the annual subscription version of Quicken. Was hoping someone would been able to answer this for you already.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @youngje & Chris McNeil,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to tell us about your issue though I apologize that you are experiencing this and have not received a response yet.

Are you still running version release R32.12 or have you since updated to the latest version release; R33.22?
    • Help > About Quicken

Also, aside from the error message you are receiving, does there happen to be any specific error code(s) associated with the message that you could provide us with here, please?

Please, check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• youngje
    youngje Member ✭✭
    I'm running 33.24. And there is no specific error code, it just gives me the message that I need a login and password. Thanks!
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for the additional information.

Also, to clarify; are you trying to add this account to Quicken, or do you already have this account set up in Quicken and are now trying to establish a connection for automatic transaction downloads?

-Quicken Anja

• youngje
    youngje Member ✭✭
    I have set up the account in my Quicken file, but am unable to connect to American Funds. Would like to download transactions.
  • Quicken Anja
    Thank you for clarifying.

And have you been attempting to connect via the Set Up Now button found in the Online Services tab, or through Add Account? If you haven't already, could you please try connecting through Add Account (not through Set Up Now)?

To connect through Add Account, navigate to Tools > Add Account..., search for the Financial Institution name and follow the prompts to connect (per Capital Group-American Funds instructions; you will need to use the SSN associated with your account as your username). If your account(s) have been found successfully, then please be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• youngje
    youngje Member ✭✭
    This still does not work, whether I use "add acount" or just try to connect the existing account. It just keeps telling me I need login info...which I have. I can log in to the accounts on the web, no problem. It just won't connect to Quicken. This is extremely frustrating, and will be a big problem in the fairly near future if I can't get the account connected.
  • youngje
    youngje Member ✭✭
    also, now running R34.24
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @youngje

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

The Described behavior can be caused by multiple things, as such we would recommend contacting Quicken Support directly for the best assistance. They'll be able to collect logs to figure out what exactly could be causing the issue. I will leave our hours down below so you can find a time that works best for you.

Click here to review Quicken Support's hours of operation.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco

• CaptArgon
    CaptArgon Member ✭✭
    I had this same problem with an existing American Funds account for which I was always able to download transactions, and around Sept of 2021, it failed to work. I could still get into the American Funds site and see my account, so I knew the password was correct, and I even updated it just to make sure. What fixed this problem for me was changing the Customer ID number in Quicken to my SS number instead of the user ID number I had always been using. I didn't like the idea of needing to put an SS number into Quicken, but it worked. I got the idea from the June 12 response in this tree.
This discussion has been closed.