How to recover my recent back up from Quicken Cloud

Scorpiomel
Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
my external hard drive is not working and I reinstalled but I can't get my recent backup

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Which cloud?  Dropbox? OneDrive?  Quicken Cloud Account?
    If you are relying on the Quicken Cloud Account, it is not a backup, but just contains the information that you sync to it for manipulation using QMobile or Quicken Web, it is NOT a backup of your data file.  If you have not made a manual backup to some place other than your local external hard drive, you are out of luck.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I thought quicken cloud was also a backup. I guess I have to take my external hard drive to have a computer repair shop recover what I lost or just re download my accounts again and set up my bills due all over. That is frustrating and sucks. I will be storing quicken software on one drive and also doing a additional back up on my new external hard drive. Thank you splasher.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I make backups to a home network drive daily if I make changes to the file.  On the 1st and 15th I copy that backup to alternating thumbdrives and once a month I make system disc images of my system, it may seem excessive to some, but I have never lost any data.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    But you aren't "backing up" to the cloud, you are syncing to the Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) whose only purpose is to provide information to be displayed and manipulated by QMobile and Quicken-Web for those accounts that are setup that way.  When it is created initially, it only receives between 2 & 3 years of past data and grows from there.  If after 4-5 years, you have to start the QCA again, you would lose the oldest of the information.
    Quicken has never referred to it as a "backup" process.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You are right I am confusing the word "cloud" as a catch all. When I close my quicken account it says back up created automatically. Family pics was saved on the same external hard drive as my QA. Thank you for all your help. I started computer self learned 22 yrs ago, crash one, never been hacked but rebuild twice. THANK YOU
    Note there is sync to Mobile/Web, but there is also Backup.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Backup

On this page you can setup Automatic backups, note that the backup directory defaults to wherever your data file is, so it isn't a very good place for a backup since if the disk that it is on crashes you lose both the data file and the backups.  But you can change it to another disk.  Or even a folder in a cloud backup services like Dropbox or OneDrive.  This might be the backup it says it is creating.

The second part of the dialog allows you to have a reminder to do a manual backup.

Here is the Preference for the Cloud Sync:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You are right I am confusing the word "cloud" as a catch all. When I close my quicken account it says back up created automatically.
    Just another little tidbit - you open and close the Quicken PROGRAM -
    Your Quicken ACCOUNT is that non-tangible thing that has your Quicken ID and password.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Which cloud?  Dropbox? OneDrive?  Quicken Cloud Account?
    If you are relying on the Quicken Cloud Account, it is not a backup, but just contains the information that you sync to it for manipulation using QMobile or Quicken Web, it is NOT a backup of your data file.  If you have not made a manual backup to some place other than your local external hard drive, you are out of luck.

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Thank you. I thought quicken cloud was also a backup. I guess I have to take my external hard drive to have a computer repair shop recover what I lost or just re download my accounts again and set up my bills due all over. That is frustrating and sucks. I will be storing quicken software on one drive and also doing a additional back up on my new external hard drive. Thank you splasher.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I make backups to a home network drive daily if I make changes to the file.  On the 1st and 15th I copy that backup to alternating thumbdrives and once a month I make system disc images of my system, it may seem excessive to some, but I have never lost any data.

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    Once again thank you. This is the second time I have lost data from Quicken. I like the software but I miss Microsoft Money. Those are great ideas. I will do alternating thumb-drives and I have never done a system disc image. I will do that. I appreciate your help.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scorpiomel said: This is the second time I have lost data from Quicken.
    Not really a Quicken problem for an external hard drive failure....   What else was on the drive ?
    We all have different ideas of what's important and how to back it up - some use Cloud services, some local hardware.
    For me.... All my stuff is on my laptop local C drive... including my /Quicken-Files/ and then the /Backup/ sub-dirs.
    @splasher - use a hardware backup strategy.... Every month I backup my laptop to alternating external TB USB drives. I copy the folders --> /Documents /Download /Music /Pictures - as individual folders to a date-stamped folder on the TB drive. This allows a normal copy of files to and from the external drive.  I also perform a full System Image backup to be able to restore my entire bare metal drive in case of disaster.  I guess, for Quicken, the key thing is having some local /Backup/ folders and saving several Auto and Manual backup copies, and then making external copies of these.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    @Ps56k2 It is common sense that it is not a Quicken problem. My problem with Quicken why do we back up to the cloud if you can't recover your data from the "quicken cloud". Family pictures etc. etc.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    But you aren't "backing up" to the cloud, you are syncing to the Quicken Cloud Account (QCA) whose only purpose is to provide information to be displayed and manipulated by QMobile and Quicken-Web for those accounts that are setup that way.  When it is created initially, it only receives between 2 & 3 years of past data and grows from there.  If after 4-5 years, you have to start the QCA again, you would lose the oldest of the information.
    Quicken has never referred to it as a "backup" process.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scorpiomel said: My problem with Quicken - why do we back up to the cloud if you can't recover your data from the "quicken cloud". Family pictures etc. etc.
    nope - you are confusing the word "cloud" as a catch all -
    and not sure how family pictures etc, etc get related to Quicken Cloud -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    You are right I am confusing the word "cloud" as a catch all. When I close my quicken account it says back up created automatically. Family pics was saved on the same external hard drive as my QA. Thank you for all your help. I started computer self learned 22 yrs ago, crash one, never been hacked but rebuild twice. THANK YOU
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Note there is sync to Mobile/Web, but there is also Backup.
    Edit -> Preferences -> Backup

On this page you can setup Automatic backups, note that the backup directory defaults to wherever your data file is, so it isn't a very good place for a backup since if the disk that it is on crashes you lose both the data file and the backups.  But you can change it to another disk.  Or even a folder in a cloud backup services like Dropbox or OneDrive.  This might be the backup it says it is creating.

The second part of the dialog allows you to have a reminder to do a manual backup.

Here is the Preference for the Cloud Sync:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You are right I am confusing the word "cloud" as a catch all. When I close my quicken account it says back up created automatically.
    Just another little tidbit - you open and close the Quicken PROGRAM -
    Your Quicken ACCOUNT is that non-tangible thing that has your Quicken ID and password.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Scorpiomel
    Scorpiomel Member ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Ps56k2 you asked me what else I lost and I stated on the external harddrive that I back up my quicken had family pictures. never said it was related to quicken cloud. [removed - violation of community guidelines]
This discussion has been closed.