How to merge two credit card accounts (Q Mac)

Miguel G.
Miguel G. Member
My credit card was compromised so I got a new one and created a new account in Quicken so I could download my transactions. Now I want to merge both accounts but Q won't let me, I tried the select, drag and drop trick as suggested in another conversation but that doesn't work in my system. I have Quicken Deluxe 6.2.2 for macOS 11.5. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    The drag and drop absolutely should work.

First, make sure the whichever account you want to get rid of (I'll call it the "old" account, but it could also be the new account, depending which one you want to merge into which) is disconnected from downloading from the credit card company.

Now try it with a single transaction: click on the "old" account in the left sidebar, and select one transaction. Drag it over to the new account in the left sidebar and release your drag. The transaction will disappear from the "old" register and appear in the new account.

Now try again with several transactions. Keep doing a larger group of transactions until you get to the end**. Note that you do NOT want to copy over an opening balance adjustment if the new account already has one. In fact, you'll need to adjust the opening balance transaction in the new account once all the transactions are copied over, so that the balance is correct.

**If you try to copy a chunk of transactions and they won't go, then it seems there might be a transaction which can't be copied over. The only example I could think of would b if you had a transaction with a transfer from the old account to th new account; if you try to copy that, Quicken might prevent tit, because it would be a transaction transferring to itself, which Quicken disallows. So if you have a block of transactions which won't copy, select a smaller subset of that block and try again. Continue until you transfer most of the transactions and find the one (or more) which won't transfer. 

IF it doesn't work the way I'm saying, please post back here again and let its know exactly what you are doing and how Quicken is responding.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Miguel G.,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Before you begin, I do recommend that you save a backup of your data file first (just in case).

To move multiple transactions from one account to another, please follow the instructions provided below.
    1. Click one transaction so it is highlighted in blue
    2. Hold Shift on your keyboard and click another transaction to select and highlight all the transactions in between the first and last transaction selected, or hold Command on your keyboard and click on individual transactions
    3. Once the desired transactions are selected/highlighted; Click and drag the highlighted transactions and drop (aka let go of) the transactions onto the account name you wish to move it to in the left Account List sidebar
    You should now see that the transactions have been removed from one account and moved to the other.

Alternatively, if this does not work; you can also deactivate the new account you created, and reactivate and relink the existing account you already had set up, then once that's been completed successfully, you can delete the new account that you created and move forward with the original account. Once the original account has been reactivated and relinked, the new credit card information will automatically apply to the account and download the current transaction history.

If needed, please refer to this support article for instructions on how to deactivate and this support article for instructions on how to reactivate.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Miguel G.
    Miguel G. Member
    Thank you for your prompt response. The "old" account is deactivated and when I try to move (just) one transaction to the "new" account I immediately get the circle with the slash accross it and it won't let me drop it into the new account. I'm stumped!
  • jacobs
    Are you sure you're dragging onto the actual account and not the "Credit Card" heading? I only see the circle with a slash if I try to drag a transaction to a heading; I can drag a credit card transaction to every type of account, including checking, assets, liabilities and investments.  

Is the transaction you're trying to drag from the originating account to the destination account one which you entered manually or one which was downloaded? Usually, when you try to drag a downloaded transaction, you'll see a warning message:

• Miguel G.
    Miguel G. Member
    Thank you, thank you. That was it!!!
  • jacobs
    @Miguel G.  Out of curiosity, and for anyone who finds this thread in the future, could you share what the solution was? Were you dragging to the wrong place, or was it that you were trying to drag a transfer transaction involving the destination account? Thanks! In any case, I'm glad it's resolved now. :)
  • Miguel G.
    Miguel G. Member
    Yes both. 1) I was dragging from the wrong window. I double click on the old account to open it in a separate window then I was able to select several transactions and drop them in the new account that was open on a separate window also. 2) I couldn't drag some transfer transactions but those didn't matter because they were quite old anyways.
  • jacobs
    Glad you got it worked out.

For future reference, you don't need to open two windows to move a transaction; you can do it all in the main Quicken window in the manner I described above. 
This discussion has been closed.