Why doesn't ONE STEP UPDATE SUMMARY (OSU) show a list of invalid stocks?

KlisterKid
KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
edited July 2021 in Investing (Windows)
When I click on OUS I see the Financial Institutions updated followed by Services Updated. The second entry "805 of 1118 quotes and investing headlines updated. See a report. (highlighted in blue) followed by a grayed out mm/dd/yyyy hhh:min a/pm. I click on the highlighted link and get a small window surrounded by a yellowish border. The first line says "No new quotes or invest ... downloaded for the securities below." A three columned table with "security name, symbol, and download quotes" at the top. Only one entry exists in that table according to the tags for the columns: 0, blanks, {}.
Putting an "X" in the [] does nothing.
SO: a) I've never seen entries in this table for as long as I can remember but don't take my word for it, b) I've never seen a list of invalid symbols,

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you mean "One Step Update"?  Because I've never heard of "One Update Summary" ... and OSU doesn't show ANY stocks ... just the number of transactions downloaded into your investment accounts.
    SO, please explain exactly what you mean by OUS.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    I edited the title for clarity.

This is the Tools > One Step Update summary, or the summary that is shown at the end of an OSU. Near the bottom it says how many quotes were requested/updated and if not all quote updates were successful, it offers a "See a report" link to show which ones were not updated.  

The link sometimes does not return the promised list of not-updated quotes. See this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20083798#Comment_20083798
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I edited the title for clarity.

This is the Tools > One Step Update summary, or the summary that is shown at the end of an OSU. Near the bottom it says how many quotes were requested/updated and if not all quote updates were successful, it offers a "See a report" link to show which ones were not updated.  

The link sometimes does not return the promised list of not-updated quotes. See this discussion
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20083798#Comment_20083798
    That link is to a post under Moderation / Archived posts.  I doubt that it is available to the common user.  I also found that discussion to be unhelpful.  I have had an issue through years of Quicken issues with the 'report' that is suppose to identify the problematic securities missing the latest downloaded prices.  The report has never (as best I recall) pointed to a correct security, a security that missed a price update.  I keep pretty tight reins on the download quotes options on the security list, but still may find this summary identifies some non-updated prices.

I have usually found the counters to be correct.  If it got 225 of 250, it really did miss 25.  I have usually found it takes a brute force method to identify the missed securities.  These might be securities from long ago that are now delisted, merged into other companies, had ticker changes, etc.  My brute force methods primarily involve a portfolio view, set to all accounts, all securities and including closed lots.  I then review that list to see what does not have a current price, and then consider the why of that state.  
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just tested this by purposely putting in a bad symbol on a security that doesn't have a symbol/can be downloaded, and tried it.  The security is Lending Club and the symbol I used was sdfsdf.

Here is the result.

How it came up with Ford I have no idea.  It isn't even an active security for me.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a very long-standing bug that it reports single-letter tickers instead of the right ones. I've seen both F and C at various times despite not holding them. Finding the truly failed securities is indeed a brute force task. In my case, Q was trying to download tickerless bond prices. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    [Removed - Off Topic]
  • KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    I don't use the subscription service. I like my data on my machines.
    At least you got a listing of one issue. I've not seen that in my report.
  • KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I tried to follow one person's link to an article. I don't have permission to view it. [removed - article has been archived and is no longer available]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't use the subscription service. I like my data on my machines.
    You can't getting quote or running One Step Update without using "the subscription service".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... SO: a) I've never seen entries in this table for as long as I can remember but don't take my word for it, b) I've never seen a list of invalid symbols,
    As indicated by multiple comments above, the table that is generated is unreliable.  So I suggest you quit worrying about not seeing the 'report'.  It would not help you if you did.  As to why you are not seeing a table, I can only guess that the programming did not anticipate 300+ securities needing to be listed (that comment is beyond the scope that whatever they did anticipate, they screwed up on.) 

It sort of begs the question of why you are trying to get over 1100 security prices with each download quotes request.  Generally speaking, the algorithm behavior I see is that Quicken requests quotes for securities that
    1) have the Download Quotes box checked on the Security List (Ctrl-Y), and
    2) you either own or have on your Watch List (also a security list check box).
    Only requests with a currently valid ticker can be filled.

So a) do you have 1100+ securities meeting those criteria, and b) do you need all those to meet those criteria?  You might find benefit in trimming the list by unchecking 

• KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    I have checked download quotes (they do change daily) and I check on the watch list (so I get the latest info that I see on the DASHBOARD, INVESTING tab when Quicken starts. Also, I've been investing for forty years or so. Since I didn't see a list of invalid symbols I let the issue slide. I since have removed several hundred. I do use the news items to see if a new item is actionable.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have checked download quotes (they do change daily) and I check on the watch list (so I get the latest info that I see on the DASHBOARD, INVESTING tab when Quicken starts. Also, I've been investing for forty years or so. Since I didn't see a list of invalid symbols I let the issue slide. I since have removed several hundred. I do use the news items to see if a new item is actionable.
    So reading between the lines of that response, it seems you do want (are expecting) Quicken to report quotes and news to you regarding some 500 - 1,000 securities.  I suspect that is well beyond the bounds that the original programmers expected.  My opinion would be that the capabilities of the program are not worthy of that scope of work.  There have been repeated complaints that the 'news' items are little more than corporate PR releases, for example.  You might consider looking beyond Quicken for better investment-quality information.  
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to see which securities are not receiving current quotes, make an Investing > Portfolio view that includes all accounts and securities and the Quote/Price column. Click the gear at the top right of the view and select Show closed lots.

In the evening of a day when the market was open, after 7:30 PM Eastern time, click on Update at the top right of the view. The securities that did not receive quotes will have a little clock icon in the Quote/Price column. If you hover over the clock, you can see the date and time of the last quote update. Waiting until the evening ensures that mutual fund quotes will be updated.

Missing quotes could be due to:

-- missing or invalid Ticker symbol
    -- Download Quotes not checked in the Security List
    -- Shares = 0 AND Watch List not checked.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • KlisterKid
    KlisterKid Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, that's true and helpful but I have been keeping track of stocks in Qkn for over thirty years (yeah, I'm that old, so yes, I have seen many combinations, splits, bankruptcies etc.). I'll try your method again to verify I'm getting the correct results. In the meantime, thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.