Data file locked with a password. The "Forgot Password" link doesn't work.

jjdavis84
jjdavis84 Member ✭✭
I saw this same issue mentioned before, but Quicken noted it was fixed in the most recently release. However, worked on my Quicken file yesterday with no issue. Never set up a password. Went to open my file today and I get a prompt saying my file is locked. Tried running the patch file Quicken posted in the other thread but no luck. Clicking the forgot password doesn't do anything. Tried every password I know with no luck. Anyone else still encountering this issue? Has Quicken not really fixed this issue? It is crazy that a password randomly gets turned on for no reason.

Best Answer

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jjdavis84 said:
    Thanks. That was the thread I had originally referenced. The odd thing is, I was already running the correct patched version and was fully updated since I had done a fresh install a week ago. It appears that this issue is still occurring despite the "fix" being included in the R34.24. The thread is also a bit pointless since you can't enable automatic backups if the file is locked. Hopefully someone from Quicken looks into this further.
    I suggest you follow their advice and attempt to locate a good backup that does already include the corruption or create a new Quicken file. 

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken said they fixed such an issue in R34.24 but that their fix would not repair the issue.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7895786/resolved-7-20-21-prompt-to-enter-data-file-password-when-no-password-is-assigned
  • jjdavis84
    jjdavis84 Member ✭✭
    Thanks. That was the thread I had originally referenced. The odd thing is, I was already running the correct patched version and was fully updated since I had done a fresh install a week ago. It appears that this issue is still occurring despite the "fix" being included in the R34.24. The thread is also a bit pointless since you can't enable automatic backups if the file is locked. Hopefully someone from Quicken looks into this further.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    jjdavis84 said:
    I suggest you follow their advice and attempt to locate a good backup that does already include the corruption or create a new Quicken file. 
  • jjdavis84
    jjdavis84 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. I'll wait to see what/if Quicken responds since this appears to be happening in the most current version as well.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    jjdavis84 said:
    Thanks for your replies. I'll wait to see what/if Quicken responds since this appears to be happening in the most current version as well.
    If you haven't already, you may want to submit the problem to Quicken: select Help > Report a problem...

Otherwise, perhaps you should contact Quicken Support: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-support-options
  • Gary's Qkn
    Gary's Qkn Member ✭✭
    I tried to open my file this morning and had the same issue which is very upsetting. This appears to be a quicken error in a recent update and the only fix appears to be to restore from a prior backup and re-enter all data which can take hours and hours. I am really disappointed that there appears to have been no or an insufficient quality control process in place to catch such an error before release of any updates. This issue must be addressed by the company or longtime customers like me will leave
  • ricejerry
    ricejerry Member ✭✭
    Went to login to my quicken data file today and my password no longer works... and the forgot password doesn't work either. I cannot access my data file. I assume this is the same issue you are experiencing.
  • ricejerry
    ricejerry Member ✭✭
    I tried to log in to my quicken data file this morning and my password isn't working. My password worked fine on 8/11/21 but not today 8/15/21. I did not forget my password... it just doesn't work. Even if I did forget my password, the "Forgot password?" link does not work.

I am locked out of my data. Is this happening to anyone else. I see something similar in discussions where Quicken started automatically assigning a password on data files requiring people to restore from backup, but that was supposedly resolved last month. Does anyone have a fix? I'm calling support, but it is Sunday.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Passwords are case sensitive. Are you sure your Caps Lock is not on?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • colerd1
    colerd1 Member
    I spoke with Quicken support via chat also. They said this is a known problem with the latest release. Only option is (1) revert to a weeks old back up or (2) send them your quicken file to remove the password. It disappoints me as well that a major problem like this takes them so long to fix. I am not happy with Quicken and am looking for alternatives...
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As you noted - this has been reported -
    and one of the latest releases mentioned a fix to resolve FUTURE probs,
    but not existing or previous problems...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• ricejerry
    ricejerry Member ✭✭
    I ended up restoring from a backup. Had to recreate about 3 weeks of data.
  • avocats
    avocats Member ✭✭
    edited August 2021
    [Removed-Rant/Unhelpful]

[Removed- Solicitation]

• avocats
    avocats Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > As you noted - this has been reported -
    > and one of the latest releases mentioned a fix to resolve FUTURE probs,
    > but not existing or previous problems...

Of course, if you go on the SUBSCRIPTION plan, they help you. Always the $$$.
  • avocats
    avocats Member ✭✭
    > @ricejerry said:
    > I tried to log in to my quicken data file this morning and my password isn't working. My password worked fine on 8/11/21 but not today 8/15/21. I did not forget my password... it just doesn't work. Even if I did forget my password, the "Forgot password?" link does not work.
    >
    > I am locked out of my data. Is this happening to anyone else. I see something similar in discussions where Quicken started automatically assigning a password on data files requiring people to restore from backup, but that was supposedly resolved last month. Does anyone have a fix? I'm calling support, but it is Sunday.

It's still Sunday and no one is home at Quicken support. I have the same problem, except that I naively thought I must have forgotten my password. Spent a long time trying to guess the password. Then trying to get the PASSWORD reSET button to work. If I'm going to be told blithely to redo hours of bookkeeping I'll be doing it in another program.

Did you hear anything more from them?
  • jjdavis84
    jjdavis84 Member ✭✭
    > @Ps56k2 said:
    > As you noted - this has been reported -
    > and one of the latest releases mentioned a fix to resolve FUTURE probs,
    > but not existing or previous problems...

I had the most recent version that was supposed to have the fix included in in. I had not previously had the issue. It then randomly happened on the "fixed" version, hence brining it back up.
  • ccangemi
    ccangemi Member
    I'm having the exact same issue. Although I'm sorry others are having this issue, it does make me feel better knowing I'm not alone. I did restore from a back up only two weeks behind. I would still like this issue resloved so I can open the data file. Please let me know if someone finds a solution or if Quicken provides a fix. Thanks!
  • f15wife
    f15wife Member
    how do you restore from a backup?? it still wants my password.......so frustrated!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    f15wife said:
    how do you restore from a backup?? it still wants my password.......so frustrated!
    Select File > Restore a Backup File...
  • Cindy Price
    Cindy Price Member
    edited August 2021
    [Removed - Rant/Duplicate]
This discussion has been closed.