Automatically add Quicken version to backup file name

TTSguy
TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
I'd like to see the Quicken Version included in the file name of the automatic and manual backup file names when they are created. This would help being able to backup as far back as you need to in order to evade a specific Version with a specific problem when it's necessary.
Tagged:

Comments

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @"TTSguy ,

This isn't going to happen. Why? The Quicken Subscription Data File can always be opened in Quicken 2016 or Quicken 2017 without problems and be worked on for Windows versions.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the automatic backup that is now made just before upgrading to a new version already includes the old version number.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    Hello @the creator. Let me draw my picture with different crayons. Let's say for [removed - profanity] giggles that I'm at V34.24. It's discovered that that version came out to fix an issue with V34.21,(which I was selected to try). It didn't fix the issue. Now I'm deciding (or being advised) to go back to V34.19 to circumvent the whole issue. If all my Manual and Automatic backups included the version # in the backup name, then I'd know exactly how many and where the backups (34.19), are and how many I have of them....just in case. That would make the restore process very smooth and easy. If I don't have that info, what is the best way to know what backup will be a V34.19 that I need to restore? Am I just in the wrong coloring book here?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TTSguy - The comment from @Jim_Harman comment will lead you to when you switched versions. I’d rather not see a filename already long be extended. 
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@TTSguy Meant to also ask - does that mean you are an Audi TTS guy?  If so, what year and style?  I’m in an 02 roadster. 
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    @q_lurker yep a 2013 Misano Red Pearl Roadster. How can I I find out how many were produced?. and yes about long file names!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    q_lurker said:
    @TTSguy - The comment from @Jim_Harman comment will lead you to when you switched versions. I’d rather not see a filename already long be extended. 
    It could be done as an option like adding a time stamp is for the manual backup.

In truth I believe that in fact this far less useful than it seems at first glance.

Yes I have seen plenty of corrupted data file reports, but almost never can you pin it down to a given release.  Yes people come in and say "XXX release did this", but I think there are two things going on here that make it look like a given release caused a problem when it really didn't.  The first is that with any given update some people are going to have a problem.  In other words it isn't the actual new code that causes the problem, but the update process itself.  And the other thing that makes it look like a given release caused a problem is that people like to connect two events that happen in about the same time frame even if they have no real proof that is true.  And this is especially true when Quicken Inc has gone releasing much more patches.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Chris_QPW said:
    [snip]
    And the other thing that makes it look like a given release caused a problem is that people like to connect two events that happen in about the same time frame even if they have no real proof that is true. [/snip]
    In other words,  Post Hoc, ergo Hoc,  a common fallacy in logic.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.