On "Quicken Backup" file size chgs depending on checkbox "Add date..to file name" being chkd or not

pspenland
pspenland Member ✭✭
When doing Backup and checking checkbox (to add date), I notice the QDF backup file is much smaller (198MB vs. 324MB). When I immediately run another Backup and do not check the box, the size of the file (with no other changes) is 324MB. Any ideas? I want to make sure I am not missing something important IF I check the box to add date to file name. Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My test did NOT show what you are seeing.  Backup files with and without the date were the same size, and only very slightly smaller than the original file.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue (a File Manager window showing both backup files and the active data file, columns Size, Date created and Date modified), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• pspenland
    pspenland Member ✭✭
    thank you both for your quick reply...sorry as i was in error. in my two attachments, pls note that having the checkbox checked/not checked both yielded files that are 199MB. the 3 files in the green box were created with the checkbox checked; and the single entry below the green box was created with the checkbox left unchecked. in short, all 4 files are 199MB (3 checked box; 1 unchecked box).

however, note in red box, the QDF-backup file is 324.9MB. i do not understand what this file/file name represent. note that the file name is longer: QDATA_19950321-BOT-2021-08-27.PM08.06.QDF-backup. what does the "PM08.06." stand for on the Aug 27 file? every subsequent backup does NOT include this nomenclature.

for some reason, i do not see the "image icon in the row of editing tools above the text entry box of your post". therefore, i am not able to attach my two screen shots. i used Chrome and Edge but no luck. sorry for being stupid!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    pspenland said:
    thank you both for your quick reply...sorry as i was in error. in my two attachments, pls note that having the checkbox checked/not checked both yielded files that are 199MB. the 3 files in the green box were created with the checkbox checked; and the single entry below the green box was created with the checkbox left unchecked. in short, all 4 files are 199MB (3 checked box; 1 unchecked box).

however, note in red box, the QDF-backup file is 324.9MB. i do not understand what this file/file name represent. note that the file name is longer: QDATA_19950321-BOT-2021-08-27.PM08.06.QDF-backup. what does the "PM08.06." stand for on the Aug 27 file? every subsequent backup does NOT include this nomenclature.

for some reason, i do not see the "image icon in the row of editing tools above the text entry box of your post". therefore, i am not able to attach my two screen shots. i used Chrome and Edge but no luck. sorry for being stupid!
    The "PM08.06." stand for 8:06 pm and is part of the automatic backup naming algorithm.  In other words, the automatic backup was saved when you closed the Quicken file on August 27, 2021 at 8:06 pm.
  • pspenland
    pspenland Member ✭✭
    thank you for your answer re: automatic backups in quicken. i was unaware of this. so, looping around to my original question, i think i now have an answer. it is now clear that the larger backups (in my case, 324MB, are automatic backups; and, the smaller backups, are manually run by me).

also, i see that under "Leave a Comment" i now see the icon in the ribbon allowing me to include screen shots.

thank you all for your help!
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    pspenland said:
    thank you for your answer re: automatic backups in quicken. i was unaware of this. so, looping around to my original question, i think i now have an answer. it is now clear that the larger backups (in my case, 324MB, are automatic backups; and, the smaller backups, are manually run by me).

also, i see that under "Leave a Comment" i now see the icon in the ribbon allowing me to include screen shots.

thank you all for your help!
    First a suggestion: do not save the manual backups to the same folder used for automatic backups.  Quicken attempts to maintain the files in the automatic backup folder.

I suspect your Quicken file may contain some temporary files being stripped from the archive by the manual backup.  I suggest restoring a manual backup to confirm there is no data loss.
This discussion has been closed.