Price day change ($ and %) and day gain/loss are not displaying in my Quicken investments tab.

rattytom
rattytom Member ✭✭
edited November 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I too am having this problem, as reporting in thread https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7877594/why-are-the-daily-gain-loss-price-day-change-and-price-day-change-not-displaying
However that discussion says it has been closed, and when I click on any of the links suggested in various answers, they go nowhere.
So sorry for posting a new question on this, but I can't seem to get anywhere on the prior.
I have had this problem as long as I remember, but it could in fact have started after one of the updates suggested in the other thread. I am on Windows 10, Quicken Version R34.24, Build 27.1.34.24.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    A few things to look into come to mind:
    Are you seeing this issue during the days the stock markets are open or only on weekends and holidays?  You will only see the daily change on days the stock markets are open.
    If you are seeing this issue during the days the stock markets are open:  If you have not already done so, check to make sure stock prices are getting downloaded. 
    • If daily stock prices are missing, you might want to review your Security List to make sure the securities are checked for "Download Quotes".
    • You also might want to check your Update Settings to make sure the box for "Download quotes and investment information" is checked.
    • If the "Download Quotes" box(es) were not checked and/or if the "Download quotes and investment information" box in Update Settings was not checked, run OSU after checking the box(es).
    Also, you might want to consider updating your Quicken to the latest version (R35.26) via Help > Check for Updates or by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch (https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product).
    Let me know if any of these addresses/resolves the issue you are seeing.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your response. First, on the suggestion to get version R35.26 - "check current updates" under Help tells me my current version 34.24 is the latest version available.

The problem occurs on all days, market open or not. Securities are definitely loading prices into Quicken, and I have checked in security history, it is listed there for all securities.

I did notice that I can see daily price change by looking at my portfolio on quicken.investing.com -- where it shows under "today's change" but oddly, not under "today's gain/loss."-- But the daily change doesn't show in Quicken for windows, which is what I am looking for.

On Q/W, the "Day gain/loss" column on Investing/portfolio values page is returning all zeroes, and the "Price day change" and "Price Day Change (%)" columns are blank (no values, no zeroes shown).

The labeling "Day gain/loss" (all securities return zero in my Q/W) made me wonder whether Quicken was somehow hanging up on a cost basis issue. But all of my securities have good cost basis data loaded, and Quicken shows my total gain/loss per security. Further, hovering over the "Day Gain/Loss" header gives an explanation "Change in market value since previous day's closing" -- so I assume that is simply price-driven and not looking to my basis for an actual "gain/loss" for the day -- but at any rate, as said, my securities have good basis data in Quicken.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rattytom - I don't know why your Quicken installation is saying that R34.24 is the latest version available because it is not.  R35.26 is the latest general release version.  You can confirm this by clicking on the link I provided in my last post because the latest general release version will be listed there.
    You are correct that the Price Day Change and Price Day Change (%) are calculated off of the close of the prior market day and not off of the Cost Basis.
    Is this what you are seeing in Investments Portfolio?:
    If so, click on the triangle to the left of the account name to expand it and then you should see something like this.:
    Look closely to make sure you are seeing all of your current securities.  If some or all of them are missing you can click on "Customize" above the view, then click on the Securities tab, Select All and OK.  This will add in any securities that are missing from what you are seeing.
    If this is not what you are seeing or is not what you are referring to, would you be able to take a screenshot (hiding any confidential information) and post it here?  A picture can be worth a thousand words.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @Boatnmaniac R34.24 is the latest release.  R35.26 is still only a staged release.  You may determine the official status of a Windows release by reviewing the announcements in: Product Releases and Announcements: Windows 

@rattytom The links that go nowhere refer to discussions that the moderators have archived.  In any case, your issue is different than the previous issue.

Based on your description, I suspect the security's price history is may not be updating properly: right-click on a security in the Portfolio view and select Price History
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @rattytom, if you set the As of date on the Portfolio page back by one day and then forward again, do the Price Day Change values display correctly?

If so this is a known problem, but there has been no indication from Quicken if or when they will fix it.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac
    I have attached a screenshot of the first two securities in Investing tab - portfolio value view. All others are like this ("0" in day gain/loss columns, last two columns completely blank).
    I hope it is attached. I can't figure out how to put that image inline w/ text.
  • rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    @Sherlock,
    Thanks for your response. Yes, the price history is good on all securities. I do a One-Step Update daily and I check the account balances against brokerage account once or twice a week, they are always good, to the penny. On the image I posted in response to @Boatnmaniac, I checked the price history on the two stocks shown, and they are daily pricing for a good long time back.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rattytom said:
    I have attached a screenshot of the first two securities in Investing tab - portfolio value view. All others are like this ("0" in day gain/loss columns, last two columns completely blank).
    Your screen shot shows today's date, 8/28/21. Today is Saturday, so what you are seeing is normal. If you revert the "As of" date to yesterday, those numbers should populate.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    @Jim_Harman,
    YES, that seems to be it, thank you! I set the portfolio date back to yesterday (Fri 8/27/21) and all of the columns are filled in (see attached image). Then moving it back to other dates, everything looked to be in order.

Moving back to today, the last 3 columns remain as before (zero - blank - blank) but that makes sense because today is Saturday, no trading (as @Rocket J Squirrel just pointed out (thanks)). I didn't think about that when I posted the first screenshot - but it seems to me the "reason" those columns were initially blank wasn't because today is a non-trading day, but rather because of this issue. In other words, if I had first posted on a trading day, the screenshot would still have shown zero - blank -blank in those three columns -- that's the way it has "always" been from my perspective, regardless of what day I look at it on.

So from here on out, when faced with that problem, I will try resetting the day first, as you suggested. Naturally it would be easier if this "known problem" were fixed by Quicken.
    Thanks again for the help, all.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    HI @rattytom

I've been following this thread and note that you posted a screen shot of the Investing tab > Security view that shows zeros in the "Day Gain/Loss" column.  However your post is dated today - which is Saturday, and therefore there should be zeros in those columns because there are no transactions on the weekends (or holidays). 

So, my question is, do you just see those zeros on the weekend, or during the week as well?  If there are always zeros in those columns, can you post another screen shot on a recent weekday, so that we can compare that to what we would expect to see, which may help sort this out?

Thanks.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    Frankx,
    See my earlier answer to Jim_Harman. I swear, if I had actually started this post on a weekday, those columns would have been zero/blank - they were ALWAYS that way regardless of day of the week. But setting it back one day seems to have "fixed" it. I will watch it this coming week and post on a trading day if the problem resurfaces. Thanks
  • rattytom
    rattytom Member ✭✭
    I have in the past, set the portfolio view date to a different day, but I do not remember that ever suddenly causing those day change columns to populate. Like I said, it has always been an issue - I never remember seeing anything in those columns. Typically, the day I would have set it back to might have been like a month, or a year or so in the past. I do not remember ever specifically moving back "just one day." And it seems that doing exactly that is what 'fixed' it for now.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note that the "fix" of changing the As of date back one day then returning only lasts until you restart Quicken. Apparently these data points are calculated on the fly and the calculation is not always being triggered when it should be.

Oddly, the problem appears to affect newly added securities more than old ones.

I was able to demonstrate this problem in a test file and sent the steps to @Quicken Sarah back in 2019. She confirmed and reported the problem to Development (CTP-346) 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Ed V
    Ed V Member ✭✭
    I have the same issue. I can update the daily numbers by right clicking on any security, selecting Edit Security, then clicking OK to close the Edit Security Details. The daily numbers then immediately update.

Selecting yesterday's date then today works sometimes, but it is not consistent.
  • Polyian
    Polyian Member ✭✭
    I have the same problem, changing the day fixes it temporarily. If I download using 'quotes' date is missing, If I download using 'one-step update' all the data is displayed. The work rounds are annoying so what I would like to know from Quicken is when this known issue will be fixed?
  • Polyian
    Polyian Member ✭✭
    typo above...should read data is missing not date
This discussion has been closed.