SOXL ETF split in March 2021 and gain/loss is incorrect

rcelio
rcelio Member ✭✭
edited May 2022 in Investing (Mac)
purchased shares and added shares are separated and purchased shares show huge loss. Don't see how to fix this. Any suggestions?

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @rcelio

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue, although I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with your split. In this case I would ask if we could get some screenshots that may help us figure out what exactly could be happening. If we could get some in the overview and also of the transactions as well may help us figure out what exactly could be causing the issue. I'll leave an article down below on how to do so.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac#latest

Once you get the chance let us know more via the screenshots and we'll see what steps we can take to resolve your issue.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• rcelio
    rcelio Member ✭✭
    I don't feel comfortable sharing screenshots of my financials. My brokerage account shows the investment simply as a single transaction (original date) at the split adjusted price and quantity with the gain. Quicken shows two transactions: first, the original transaction with original price/quantity and second a separate transaction with new shares at zero cost. This results in a messed up year-to-date gain/loss. Is there a way to simply delete the entries in quicken and create a new transaction that matches my brokerage account WITHOUT messing up future downloads?
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @rcelio

Thanks for the update. I believe you should be able to delete the two transactions giving you issues. That won't mess with any future transactions but I have occasionally heard that some transactions come back after being deleted so it's something to be aware of. It's a good step to attempt here if you haven't already.

Please let us know if you see any issues performing the steps you've listed. If you do we can see what steps we can attempt next in order to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
    Quicken Francisco
  • rcelio
    rcelio Member ✭✭
    I tried that but the problem appears to be the history of the share price. The price per share was 15 times higher prior to the stock split. So it appears that my portfolio value has dropped considerably and the IRR (1 yr and YTD) metrics are way off. My brokerage and Yahoo Finance make the appropriate adjustments automatically. Even the security overview link at investing.quicken.com shows the appropriate graphs and returns. Is there an automatic way to correct this. I've found "rebuild history" when I chose edit security but I have no idea what that does exactly and if it will mess it up more. Please advise.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's unclear to me from this discussion so far: is the stock split transaction in your transactions? You mentioned that it added shares at no cost, but that's not the proper way the brokerage should have transmitted a stock split. Stock splits are one of the transactions types part of the OFX standard, and Quicken supported a stock split transaction. You might want to try deleting the transactions which downloaded and manually enter a split transaction to see if that gets you where you need to be. (Make a copy of your data file before doing this in case it makes things worse instead of better.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rcelio
    rcelio Member ✭✭
    The weird thing is that other splits for individual stocks have downloaded properly without this issue. This item, SOXL, is an ETF. I'm guessing there is an issue with ETFs specifically. I've a deleted the transactions downloaded and entered the transaction as it shows in my brokerage. Problem is that the downloaded stock price history is incorrect. The historical price prior to split should now be adjusted. How to do that????
  • rcelio
    rcelio Member ✭✭
    After talking to tech support, turns out I had to manually rebuild the price history. Apparently no way to download historical pricing from Quicken's stock summary into a Quicken format and import so I just looked at weekly closing price from Yahoo Finance... Fortunately I only had to go back a 14 months. . Ugggg.
This discussion has been closed.