Net worth Graph way off!

Chuck V
Chuck V Member
edited September 2021 in Reports (Windows)
My ledger is accurate on the left-hand side, however, my net worth graph is literally 250K off. I dug into this and I have accounts with $0 balances on the left side that is accurate showing negative balances on the net worth graph. Has anyone seen anything like this? It started a month ago.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and tell us about this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I went ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!
    (CTP-2705)

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version of Quicken are you running? Go to Help > About Quicken and let us know what it says there.

Is the Net Worth number at the bottom of the Accounts bar on the left side of your screen correct?

Where exactly are you viewing the incorrect Net Worth graph? Home tab? Property and Debt tab? Reports > Net Worth and Balances > Net Worth report? Occasionally these are calculated differently or have different options.

What type of accounts are causing the problems? I have sometimes had issues with long-empty Employee Stock Option accounts. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Chuck V
    Chuck V Member
    Hello Jim, Thank you for the response. My Version is R34.24 Build 27.1.34.24. My networth number at the bottom of the screen is correct. The issue is on my home tab. I have accounts that have been closed for years that have a zero balance showing up on this report as -$xxxxx and it's affecting my networth on that screen. I also looked in the Property and Debt tab and I have a totally different number on that tab than the home tab and it's also wrong. I've always just used the home tab. It's all types of accounts showing up. Checking, Savings, Investments. Thanks for your help.
  • Jim_Harman
    Aha. Quicken recently made some changes to how Account and Category selections are made and that may be affecting what you see.

I assume the Home tab graph you are looking at is the one titled Net Worth by Assets and Liabilities. Click on the gear at the top right of that panel then select Customize this graph. Make sure the date range is set to a date that ends today (last 12 months for example) and check the tabs to make sure the correct items are selected.

It is not clear why you need to do this, but you may be able to get it to display correctly by de-selecting the problem accounts.

I have heard that this issue is under investigation by Quicken, so please let us know what changes you needed to make to get it to display correctly.

You might also be able to help get these issues resolved by sending the details to Quicken via the Help > Report a problem link.
  • dr9bob
    dr9bob Member
    Same problem here. Quicken is not summing all accounts only some. No obvious way to tell which numbers are being included but net worth shows as 1/3 of actual as shown on left side of window. This is a recent change.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited September 2021
    dr9bob said:
    Same problem here. Quicken is not summing all accounts only some. No obvious way to tell which numbers are being included but net worth shows as 1/3 of actual as shown on left side of window. This is a recent change.
    Where in Quicken are you seeing the incorrect net worth? Home tab? Net worth at the bottom of the Accounts Bar? Someplace else?

I would start by going to File > Validate and repair file and validate your file.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Reports > Net Worth & Balances and run the Net Worth report. That will show your net worth broken out by account. Click the gear to customize the report and check the Account detail box. 

Is the report correct? If not, set earlier dates for the report until you find the account(s) and securities that are causing the problem.

Please post back with your findings.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If investment accounts are part of this suspicious behavior, please make sure that your Quotes Price History hasn't been corrupted. Unexpected $0.00 or extremely large quotes records may cause spikes in your net worth graphs where there shouldn't be any.
  • KB8
    KB8 Member ✭✭
    I just encountered the same thing.

In my case, the main problem was due to the Quicken excluding hidden investment categories from the net worth graph. There is also a second smaller issue that appears to be some sort of single digit rounding error. For the first, there is a user work around: manually adjusting the customization settings on the net worth graph to include the missing categories. No temporary fix for the smaller rounding error though, that requires a programming fix. In any case, both issues appear to be bugs and should be addressed properly by Quicken.

For me, the problem started with the latest release (Quicken Premier, R35.31, 27.1.35.31, on Windows 10 Home). After the update installed this morning I quickly noticed a difference between the "Accounts List" summary, on the left, which appears to be correct, and the current "Net Worth" in the "Net Worth by Assets and Liabilities:..." graph on the "Home" tab (In my case, I have the graph on a customized "page 2" sub tab). The displayed Net Worth graph showed a significantly higher current net worth value.

I did some checking to try and isolate the problem. First, I backed up the file and then validated it to make sure there were no obvious errors. There weren't any. Second, I created a net worth report from the "Reports" option on Quicken's main menu bar, making sure all accounts were selected and including hidden accounts. The resulting report matched my Accounts List perfectly. Third, I created a similar report from the problematic Net Worth graph (on the "Home" tab, my sub tab "page 2"). That created a table of account values, in half month intervals, over the time range of the graph. A review of that report/table revealed the problem was isolated to investment accounts and most obvious on hidden/closed Investment accounts. In the first report, the one from the main menu bar, every account showed the correct balance, including the hidden/closed accounts (with $0.00 balance). In the second report, the one from the graph, every investment account was off and the hidden ($0.00) accounts were the most obviously off with large positive/negative values.

Next, I checked the customization settings for the graph and it's corresponding net worth report and was able to isolate what appears to be the main problem. By default the "Categories" tab was set to: "Include transactions with any category (including uncategorized)". One would assume this option would result in inclusion of all transaction categories. That's isn't correct. I found that when I selected the other option ("include only transactions with selected categories") and then selected "Show (hidden categories)" any category starting with "(_" wasn't being included. I believe those category types are defined by Quicken and are related to investments. For some reason they are not being included by default (a bug). After I chose the option "Selected All" and updated the graph the net worth numbers were nearly correct. I say nearly because the final number was off by a few cents. After creating a new "Report my net worth" report from the graph most of the hidden/closed accounts were now correctly showing "$0.00" balances. However, a few listed small +/- balances, in the $0.01-$0.06 range. Also, some of my active accounts were also off by a few pennies. I assume this is due to some sort of rounding error (a second bug).

The seems likely the Quicken software is using at least two different methods to calculate net worth, one for the Accounts list and the menu Reports option and a second for the graphing subroutine. It's troubling that they don't agree, especially so since this is financial software and the calculation isn't very complicated, mainly just addition. Makes you wonder, if something simple like that doesn't work, what else is broken in the program?

Hopefully, Quicken will get on this issue quickly and fix these bugs. As is, it undermines confidence in their software.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2021 Answer ✓
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and tell us about this issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

I went ahead and submitted a bug report for this to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Unfortunately, we won't have an ETA on this, however, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future update release.

Thank you for your patience and for bringing awareness to this issue!
    (CTP-2705)

-Quicken Anja

• KB8
    KB8 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Anja, Thanks for submitting the bug report.
  • @KB8 You're welcome!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.