Hide accounts in register with $0 balance

hurwi
hurwi Mac Beta Beta
I have a number of credit cards that I keep open but don't use anymore. Ideally, they would be hidden in my account list, but show up if there's activity. This way I'd know if there's fraudulent use on it, or if I've used the card by mistake.
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong, but I was told that it's better for your credit rating if you keep using these credit cards, at least once in a while, just to show some activity. Charge something and pay it off in full at the next statement due date. That's what I do. And, as Quicken for Windows user, I keep these accounts sorted towards the bottom of the Account Bar.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you hide an account from the account bar in Quicken Mac is it completely invisible?

This is something that Quicken Windows users asked for quite a bit, but the Quicken Windows developers insisted that it be done like this:

More Accounts is where the "hidden" accounts are.  If you select it it gives the list of hidden accounts.  But more importantly for your use case if any of those accounts weren't zero this amount wouldn't be zero since it is the total of all the hidden accounts in this section of the Account bar,
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    If you hide an account from the account bar in Quicken Mac is it completely invisible?
    Yeah, Quicken Mac hides an account completely and doesn't have the "More Accounts" option
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    hurwi said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Yeah, Quicken Mac hides an account completely and doesn't have the "More Accounts" option
    Sounds like Quicken Mac needs to have an option for the More Accounts, and Quicken Windows needs an option to completely hide this, because different people want different things.  Hopefully the Mac developers will be more inclined to give you that than the Windows developers were.
    Signature:
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited September 2021
    Hidden Accounts can be displayed in the Account sidebar if you turn on that option:

This will give you a Hidden Accounts category at the bottom of the list of accounts:

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Jon for the information.

It looks like Quicken Mac is one up on Quicken Windows in this area, and this idea should be marked implemented.
    Signature:
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Chris_QPW said:
    Thanks @Jon for the information.

It looks like Quicken Mac is one up on Quicken Windows in this area, and this idea should be marked implemented.

Not entirely. Quicken Mac doesn't automatically move accounts in & out of Hidden status based on the account balance, which is what the original post was about.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think the original request is served by this:
    Ideally, they would be hidden in my account list, but show up if there's activity.

It "shows up" by the fact that the amount changes from zero to something else.

I see no reason for it to automatically jump between being hidden and not hidden.  In fact I can certainly see situations where that wouldn't be desired.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I might be wrong in my interpretation of this request's goal and as such people might want to vote up this suggest (and it shouldn't be marked implemented).  Note I'm also assuming that "Hidden Accounts" is used accounts that are closed or "inactive" and as such zero, and accounts that active accounts that shouldn't be in the total are in "Separate".
    Signature:
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I wouldn't want an account with a zero balance to automatically become hidden. I have some credit cards I don't use every month, but I don't want them disappearing when the balance is zero; I want to be able to click on them easily the next time I have a charge to enter. 

By the way, this feature request already exists as an Idea post. (At least I think that one and this one are asking for the same thing.) It has not received any votes since it was created back in May.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    Being able to show hidden accounts in the account list does mostly fulfill my need, however, they are now at the bottom of the account list and need to be scrolled to. I don't often scroll so might miss it if a transaction shows up. But overall better than having them mixed in with the account list - thanks for the tip Jon.
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    Well, I discovered (the hard way) that marking an account as hidden (and showing it in a separate area of the account list) means it doesn't get updated. There was a charge on a hidden card, and in Quicken, that balance remained as zero. So this request still exists - most of the time I don't need to see these cards, but if there is a charge on one of them, I do need to see them.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Making an account hidden should not block it from getting downloads, so I’m curious…

Is that account still set up for downloading transactions?

Did the missing transaction download once you unhid the account?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • hurwi
    hurwi Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, it downloaded once I unhid the account
This discussion has been closed.