Currently running Quicken for Mac 2007 on old Mac running OSX 10.6.8 and looking to buy a new Mac

Silabar
Silabar Member
I have many years of financial records (that I don't want to lose) on my current version of Quicken but my computer is in sad need of updating. From what I am reading, it will be possible for me to migrate my Quicken data to a new Macintosh computer running Big Sur by buying a new subscription to Quicken and converting my financial data. Or am I missing something?

PS I am in Australia if that makes any difference.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Silabar

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. It is possible to convert your current information over to the newest Quicken version. Any of the new Macs should work great as well as they will all run the newest version of Quicken. With you being in Australia and a manual user I would recommend getting the deluxe version of the program so that if you do not renew your subscription you can continue using the program manually. You will receive renewal banners if you do not renew but you can continue using the program as you were. 

Transferring over your information is also straightforward as well.  You can choose to transfer your file or a recent backup onto a flash drive or cloud however you'd like. When you start Quicken for Mac it'll ask if you have an existing file you'd like to open that should let us convert the 2007 file. 

If you have any questions about the process please let us know and we'll clear up any confusion.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

Answers

• Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hello @Silabar

Thank you for reaching out to the Community regarding your issue. It is possible to convert your current information over to the newest Quicken version. Any of the new Macs should work great as well as they will all run the newest version of Quicken. With you being in Australia and a manual user I would recommend getting the deluxe version of the program so that if you do not renew your subscription you can continue using the program manually. You will receive renewal banners if you do not renew but you can continue using the program as you were. 

Transferring over your information is also straightforward as well.  You can choose to transfer your file or a recent backup onto a flash drive or cloud however you'd like. When you start Quicken for Mac it'll ask if you have an existing file you'd like to open that should let us convert the 2007 file. 

If you have any questions about the process please let us know and we'll clear up any confusion.

Thanks,

Quicken Francisco

• Silabar
    Silabar Member
    Thanks for your prompt reply Francisco. With that assurance I will now go ahead and buy a new computer. You may well hear from me again in the not-too-far-distant future when I start trying to transfer my data. Your advice regarding the Deluxe subscription is received and understood.
    Cheers
    Silabar
  • Silabar
    Silabar Member
    I am in Australia.
    Back in October I asked this question and got the reply from Francisco.
    I have now purchased my new iMac M1 and want to check that the information above is still correct - ie take out a deluxe plan and install it on my new computer - transfer my Quicken 2007 data to the new programme (follow the steps provided) and I should be up and running??? At the end of the year when I don't renew my subscription I will still be able to use Quicken but with advertising and banners (which I can live with). I only use Quicken to manually enter my personal financial transactions, reconcile and prepare personal reports.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Silabar
  • @Silabar,

Thank you for coming back to visit us in the Community!

Yes, the information provided above is still accurate. Please let us know if you run into any issues along the way and we will be happy to help!

Thank you!

Quicken Alyssa

• Silabar
    Silabar Member
    Thanks for your "oh so prompt" reply and assurance Alyssa. Guess it is time to bite the bullet and start the process. You will probably be hearing from me again as this is the first major install I have done solo. Be patient with me please.
    Cheers

Silabar
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Yes, you've stated it exactly correctly. It should all be straightforward: buy Quicken, install it, allow it to import your Quicken 2007 data file, and you should be up and running. (The hardest step may be purchasing Quicken, since it's typically sold only in the US and Canada; you may have to enter a fake US address during the purchase process!)

If it's possible for you keep your old computer temporarily after you get the new one, it can make it easier to compare Quicken 2007 on the old computer with modern Quicken Mac on the new computer to make sure your account balances and holdings are all correct.

I suggest rebuilding your account indexes in Quicken 2007 before copying the file to the new computer and importing it. First, make a copy of your Quicken 2007 data file, just in case anything goes wrong. Then open Quicken 2007 and do Command-Option-B to rebuild the indexes. If it completes without problems, and your accounts look normal, quit Quicken 2007. Click on your data file and do File > Compress to make it into a .zip file. This is the file you will copy/transfer to the new Mac. Once it's on the new Mac, double-click it to decompress it. You can leave it on your desktop. When you launch Quicken Mac on the new Mac, after signing in, you will land on the Let's Get Started page. Select that you want to start from a Quicken 2007 data file, select the data file on your desktop, sit back and let it do its thing to convert your data. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Silabar
    Silabar Member
    Thanks Jacob - oh dear - this is already sounding daunting!!!!
    Yes, I do have the old computer still set up and running. It sits alongside the new one until I am 100% confident that the new one is set up and working solidly. Could be years!!!!!
    Mmmm hadn't thought about Quicken only selling to North America. When we last bought it I think there was an Aussie version. Thanks for the heads up - I will concoct a fake address.

Now you are probably going to think that I'm completely hopeless - I probably am as this is a whole new ball game for me - when you say to make a copy of my Quicken 2007 data file -
    I back my Mac up using Time Machine on a daily basis
    and each month I do a Quicken Back-up after I complete my reconciliations
    does that constitute making a copy of my data file?

I have been searching and in
    Macintosh HD + Applications + Quicken 2007
    I can't seem to find any data file

but in a folder
    Macintosh HD + Users + Murray (my late husband) + Documents
    there is a Quicken Back-up Folder
    which contains back-ups from January 2008 right through to my most recent one done in December.

Are these likely to be the data files you are referring to?

Do I need to compress the data file to transfer it? I will likely be using a 4 TB external hard drive as the transfer medium.

Thanks for your ongoing help and assistance
    Silabar
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Silabar said:
    Thanks Jacobs - oh dear - this is already sounding daunting!!!!
    No, don't let it make you think that. ;) It's really only a few steps and you'll be and and running on the new Mac. 

Silabar said:
    Now you are probably going to think that I'm completely hopeless - I probably am as this is a whole new ball game for me - when you say to make a copy of my Quicken 2007 data file -
    I back my Mac up using Time Machine on a daily basis
    and each month I do a Quicken Back-up after I complete my reconciliations
    does that constitute making a copy of my data file?
    Yes, those are all good copies of your data file, and your multiple levels of back up is wise. I was only suggesting that you make a copy of your data file before telling Quicken 2007 to rebuild its account indexes; that process rarely goes wrong, but it's just a precaution. I was suggesting simply clicking on the data file and making a duplicate of it in the Finder. You don't need to do this, but I'd feel remiss if I told someone to run maintenance and something went wrong. 

Silabar said:
    I have been searching and in
    Macintosh HD + Applications + Quicken 2007
    I can't seem to find any data file

but in a folder
    Macintosh HD + Users + Murray (my late husband) + Documents
    there is a Quicken Back-up Folder
    which contains back-ups from January 2008 right through to my most recent one done in December.

Are these likely to be the data files you are referring to?
    It sounds like you found the backup files, which is good. You may or may not have found your current live data file. It wouldn't be in the Applications folder, but Quicken 2007 and its predecessors let users put their data files anywhere, so I can't tell you where to find it.

In the Finder, do Command-F and enter ".qdfm" in the search box. This should find all the Quicken data files on your Mac.

Alternatively, launch Quicken 2007, maker a minor change in a recent transaction, and then quit Quicken. If there is a file in the folder you've found with today's date, then you have the current file you want to move!

Silabar said:
    Do I need to compress the data file to transfer it? I will likely be using a 4 TB external hard drive as the transfer medium.
    It is probably not necessary with a Quicken Mac 2007 data file, but it's a quick little thing to try to insure nothing goes wrong during your transfer. (Going forward, it is necessary — or at least strongly recommended — should you need to move your modern Quicken Mac data file.)

Best wishes!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.