How to Delete Duplicate Register Entries

shelquis
shelquis Member ✭✭✭
Is it possible to delete a large (maybe thousands) number of duplicate transactions downloaded from a banking account. I have not yet accepted them into the register. If so, should I delete them before or after entering them into the register? I really don't want to delete them one by one.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:

Note for bank accounts you can now use the same way to multiple select and then right click an delete them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great response guys. This relieves my mind tremendously. I was visualizing having to individually delete hundreds or thousands of duplicated transactions. I feel free. Can't thank you enough.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher, Tonight I used the process you supplied in your FAQ. It worked like magic, except for a Q crash when I was trying to setup my connection. In the aftermath of the crash, I got myself locked out of my account by USBank. I called USBank tech support, and after getting passed from rep to rep for over an hour, I finally got one who knew what she was doing. She unlocked my account, and the download flowed. They say "all's well that ends well" but boy that was a painful couple of hours. Hope I never have to do that again. Anyway, thanks so much for your superb FAQ.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    @splasher, looks like I called Mission Accomplished too soon. After I got that one download, I thought everything was going to be back to normal. It's not. My USBank is accepting my new password, I got that one download, I've logged back into USBank just to confirm my password is accepted (it is). But when I do a OSU in Q, I get this error message.

I decided I'd play their silly game, so I changed my password again, verified USBank accepted it, but when I rerun OSU. I get this same error message. I've done that a couple of times now. And each time I changed my password at USBank website, I'd play their silly game again and fill in the form with my new password, and it would still fail. I checked the QVault to verify that my USBank password and the QVault password agreed, and I still get this error. How the hell do I get rid of this error message? 

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm guessing that is an Express Web Connect type connection and I don't use those, so someone else is going to have to help you.

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, I don't really know what kind of connection they have set up with Quicken, When I look at my USBank Account Online Services, it says Direct Connect (but I don't know where that comes from). I went through the USBank website looking for a hint of what the connection method is. I got no sniff.  Based on my previous conversations with USBank personnel, I don't think they'd have a clue either. Surely Q maintains a listing of the type of connection. How does one get that info? Or, is that what's showing on the Account Details sheet? What makes you think it's an Express Web Connect? How can I determine what it is? Thanks

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    shelquis said:
    @splasher, looks like I called Mission Accomplished too soon. After I got that one download, I thought everything was going to be back to normal. It's not. My USBank is accepting my new password, I got that one download, I've logged back into USBank just to confirm my password is accepted (it is). But when I do a OSU in Q, I get this error message.

I decided I'd play their silly game, so I changed my password again, verified USBank accepted it, but when I rerun OSU. I get this same error message. I've done that a couple of times now. And each time I changed my password at USBank website, I'd play their silly game again and fill in the form with my new password, and it would still fail. I checked the QVault to verify that my USBank password and the QVault password agreed, and I still get this error. How the hell do I get rid of this error message? 

Where did you change the password? (hopefully not at the USBank website)
    The above is USBank requesting you change your password right there in that Quicken dialog.
    Once done it should change it both in Quicken and at USBank at the same time.

I notice one of the above rules is "Cannot be the same as your old old".  Well if you change the password at the financial institution, and then the financial institution is telling Quicken that it wants you to change it, then the "old one" would be the one you just changed at the financial institution.

EDIT note you do have Direct Connect, not Express Web Connect which means Quicken is talking directly to USBank.  @splasher was guessing it might be Express Web Connect mostly because it is pretty rare for a financial institution to require this kind of password change and all the problems you are having with it.  Express Web Connect tends to have more of these kinds of problems.
    Signature:
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Chris. Yes, I had been changing my PW at the bank website. I just tried to update, so that I could change my password in Q. Well, when I clicked on Update, I got the window asking for a new password, but when I put in the new password (twice), the Update button never becomes active. It stays greyed out. The form acts like it doesn't realize I've typed something in. I'll try again later and let you know if I had any luck. Thanks for picking up on my problem. I appreciate it.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Over here:
    I read this:
    "After adding your Quicken Credit Card to one Quicken data file, you may want to add it to other files you manage.  Because of specific security requirements, Quicken will require that you change your account password each time you add this account to a new data file.  The new password you create will then be the correct password for each of your Quicken Credit Card accounts."
    If you go to that page and read through the whole description of the process it seems like Quicken is seeing your file as a "new data file", requiring the password change.  Maybe something in the way you're closing and opening Quicken and pulling in the data file is causing this?
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Hi Tom. Thanks for the link. I only use one Qdata file, but I did recently rename my Qdata file, so maybe that caused one password change iteration. But if I never reopen that renamed Qdata file, then the password that I entered on the Q nag screen should have also been entered into the password vault and it should be good for use with the current Qdata. So it doesn't seem like that should cause the lingering problem that I'm seeing. But if you're seeing something else, let me know. I'll try just about anything now, but I know I can always just revert to Web Connect and update the old fashioned way (but I really don't want to do that).

Oh, and you thought maybe there was something about the way I'm opening, closing and pulling in the Qdata file that may be causing the problem. I think I'm doing all that by the book. When I execute qw.exe, it opens with the previously used Qdata. When I'm done with Q, I generally just hit the X in the upper RH corner of the window. Any thoughts?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Where is your data file stored?
    If it is in a OneDrive/Dropbox/GoogleDrive folder try moving it to another location.
    Signature:
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Yes, I intentionally put Qdata in the Documents folder which is backed up on OneDrive to ensure I was always maintaining a good backup. Not a good idea, huh? I'll move it, and see if that affects the USBank password problem I'm having.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    In general it isn't a good idea to have your data file in a file synced to the cloud because the two Quicken/Cloud service can get into a conflict trying to get at the data file at the same time.

It is fine to have the backups there, just not the data file that you open in Quicken.
    Signature:
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Well, as if I'm not having enough of a problem, now Quicken is refusing to play fairly. I'm showing the password change window with my proposed password change entered (twice), but the Change Password button never activates. both passwords match, and this password has never been used. Quicken's got a mean sense of humor.

All I can do is click Cancel and then the transaction download is skipped for USBank. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, but I'm out of ideas, other than contacting Quicken support and see if they have any ideas.
    http://quicken.com/contact-support
    Signature:
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help Chris. You provided some really valuable advice that probably would help me if Q would play nice. Please stay subscribed, I'll continue to post, at least for a while. Maybe you'll see something later which would be of help. Thanks.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW, I took your advice. Last nite I chatted with Quicken Support. I described the problem, which from my vantage point was, a faulty Change Password button that wouldn't activate. He immediately sent me a script telling me how to Deactivate the account and then to Add-Link to Existing. He said the new connection would solve whatever password problem I was having. This morning, I followed his script, then in the middle of setting up my new connection, Q crashed. So after restarting Q I tried to setup my online connection with USBank. It kept failing to connect. Finally, I got a message telling me that USBank had locked me out of my account. I called USBank Tech Support, the guy reset my connection and I immediately got a download. A part of that setup process with USBank is the necessity to use a specific User ID and password that USBank provides. A little while ago, I logged back into Q and tried to download from USBank to verify that my password issues were done. They're not. I was expecting to get that screen that had the inactive button before. The one that says after the initial connection you must change the password. Instead, I got a different screen with2 boxes (shown below), asking if I had recently changed the password. I didn't know if the password that USBank had provided during the setup counted or not, so I decided to act as if it did. Long story short, I  still can't get get back into USBank from Q. I can log onto the bank website, and that same password is what's in the Qvault, but with a different ID. Here's the screen I can't get past. Should I change the QVault ID and PW to agree with those USBank provided? Or, should the vault values be the same as I use to log into USBank on line (which is what they are now)? Can you help me get past this? Thanks.  

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That dialog suggest that your password was rejected.

I would first try No for that dialog, that should do an update without asking for the password.  It might work.

If that doesn't work, try creating a new data file and setup an account and see if that works.

If it works it might be something caused by the data file.  You mentioned crashes.  Have you tried Validate and Repair on it?  Have you tried an older backup file?
    Signature:
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    One suggestion is that in between rejections in Quicken, log in on the FI's website so that you don't have multiple failures and the FI lock you out which just adds frustration to the whole process.

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Splasher, great suggestion. That hadn't occurred to me. Thanks.
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW, OK, I tried NO. It asked for a password, so I put in the one that's in the Qvault, and the one I use to sign into USBank website. Here's the response I got. 

What now?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    What happens in a new Quicken data file?
    Signature:
  • shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Chris_QPW, I don't know. I hadn't tried it, I was going to wait till the current approach petered out. But I'll do that tonight or tomorrow if that's your suggestion.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    This seems to have gone off the original topic and better to split this into a new post.
    Since @shelquis is also experiencing many crashes, another suggestion is to perform a clean uninstall and reinstall of Quicken, and then use a new file (as a test) to see where it leads.
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• shelquis
    shelquis Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW, I still haven't tried your new dataset approach, but I do have some info. I did my normal nightly update of all my accounts. After putting in the QVault password, I got a window asking for USBank password. The user Id shown in the windoe was the one from the QVault, so I input the PW from the QVault and got a big SUCCESS. I finished processing all my downloads and closed Q. Later I reopened Q, went to the USBank account and clicked on update. I expected to gain immediate access after my previous success, but instead I got the screen telling me that after the initial login I had to change PW, and provided 2 boxes to be filled in. I input a new, never used PW, twice. I got an error message saying the password didn't match... of course not, it was a new password that Q had asked for. Q provided me a second shot at the previous window, so this time I put in the old password that's in the Qvault, and also is the one that gets me into the USBank website. Got the same message again, pw doesn't match. So the password that gets me into the bank website won't let Q in. I just got done trying a third password, the one that USBank had provided along with a special userid that I had successfully used after the bank reset my connection. Nothing about this makes sense to me.  BTW, the userid and password that I have used for months, and is what's in QVault, still gets me into the bank website ( just logged in again to verify). Hope you could follow that and that you see something I'm missing. Thanks for your patience. I'll try your new dataset approach tomorrow. Thanks.
  • Dora123
    Dora123 Member ✭✭
    I've been going through this OK/next-day-not-ok process with the lock outs and mailing of a 4-digit Card Access Password (always the same one from when the account opened for months now. Talked to US Bank and was switched over to Quicken. Always seems to work one day and fail the next day or so. My theory now is that US Bank must supply the new 4-digit passcode that you enter on the "Change Quicken Card Access Password" - not just make one up and enter it. Any thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.