How do I get a version for new computer when membership expired

gmidkiff
gmidkiff Member
I'm using Quicken Deluxe, membership expired Apr 2020. Trying to install on new computer but can't get a download that works.

Answers

• gmidkiff
    gmidkiff Member
    I have already tried that but when I download the patch it does nothing, even though it is an .exe file.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The link that Sherlock pointed you to is not patches, but full installation programs for the version that was available at that point in time.  I would select the one for the month before your subscription expired to just be sure that you get one that "you are entitled too".  There have been reports that using the actual month might (in some cases) be too new for your expiration date.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gmidkiff
    gmidkiff Member
    That would explain the size, but still nothing happens after
    downloading and double clicking on the file. If what you say is true then it should execute.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    splasher said:
    The link that Sherlock pointed you to is not patches, but full installation programs for the version that was available at that point in time.  I would select the one for the month before your subscription expired to just be sure that you get one that "you are entitled too".  There have been reports that using the actual month might (in some cases) be too new for your expiration date.
    @splasher It appears Quicken Support may have mucked up their support again.  The documentation appears to be asking users to install the latest Quicken and then apply an earlier Mondo patch.   I'm trying to find the wayback with the correct links.
  • gmidkiff
    gmidkiff Member
    I hope you can find a correct way to get it loaded on my new laptop.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gmidkiff said:
    I hope you can find a correct way to get it loaded on my new laptop.
    Got it!

I suggest you download the following Quicken R18.16 installation program from April 2019 and use it to install Quicken while disconnected from the internet: http://assistant.quicken.com/patch/SubscriptionPatchReleases/18.16.EXE

You should then be able to download and apply the appropriate patch.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    splasher said:
    @splasher It appears Quicken Support may have mucked it up their support again.  The documentation appear to be asking users to install the latest Quicken and then apply an earlier Mondo patch.   I'm trying to find the wayback with the correct links.
    Lesson learned here.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• gmidkiff
    gmidkiff Member
    Well I tried that, still nothing happens when I double click. I had uninstalled Quicken before I tried your suggestion.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gmidkiff said:
    Well I tried that, still nothing happens when I double click. I had uninstalled Quicken before I tried your suggestion.
    What are you double clicking on?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    splasher said:
    @splasher It appears Quicken Support may have mucked it up their support again.  The documentation appear to be asking users to install the latest Quicken and then apply an earlier Mondo patch.   I'm trying to find the wayback with the correct links.
    EDIT this was written as I did it, so some statements are proved wrong in later text.

The article is "correct in principal".  You install the latest version, then you install the patch.  The patch will downgrade the version to a point where the expired license should still work in manual mode.  Personally I don't believe that a downgrade will work in 100% of the cases, but I haven't yet seen a case that it has caused problems (as in it might not reverse some configuration settings/files because it replaces/adds files it doesn't reverse settings or remove files).  Since the Mondo patch installs have all the files in them and they aren't going by the file versions, it should replace all the new program files with the old ones.

@gmidkiff I believe something else is going on because in any case a dialog should have come up no matter what which one you ran.  For nothing to come up suggests that something is blocking installing anything.

If one runs the patch before Quicken is installed you get this:

BUT I just tried it and it seems that they have broken the ability to backward patch, at least to back to 2018.  Here is my attempt at it.

Download and Install Quicken from the first link:

Started it just to see what version it has (this step shouldn't be needed):
    Note I logged in with an expired license.
    (Had to punch/cancel through some of the "exceeded max dataset messages" and log in multiple times):

In reality it looks like it was going to let me use it right like this, but if I restarted it, it goes through the same dataset error messages and then exits.

Installing R15.16, which is the one for my expired license in October 2018.

So it is broken, but not for "nothing comes up", and this is new in that this procedure did work a few months ago.

Since I do keep an old install of Quicken around for this very reason, I'm going to try that now.
    Installed with Network disconnected to make sure I don't get a new version.
    Installed R15.16 patch without a problem.
    Logged in with expired license Quicken Id.
    Didn't get the max dataset errors.  It all seems to be working.

Conclusion the reverse patching no longer works and so Quicken Inc needs to provide really old Quicken program install so that people are forward patching not reverse patching.  I'm absolute sure the tool that they are using for creating patches was never intended to do reverse patching they just got lucky for a while.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • gmidkiff
    gmidkiff Member
    I finally found a solution that worked for me. First, the downloaded patch file is a win32 cabinet self extractor file. When I would double click on it I would see a very brief busy icon then nothing. Tried to extract on another computer, thinking this new one had a problem, but got same results. Finally decided to try extracting with winrar and that did the extraction correcting. Loaded my original Quicken version from cd then applied the appropriate patch and all seems to be okay now. Thanks for all those that offer solutions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    gmidkiff said:
    Loaded my original Quicken version from cd
    And that is why people should always keep the original install file(s) instead of relying on Quicken Inc for them.   I'm glad you had that around.  I pity the person that doesn't now that Quicken Inc's "reverse patching" doesn't work any more.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.