Manual reconciliation failure

I reconcile manually but Quicken always fails to record the account reconciliation from last month even though I save each time. I must redo last month's reconciliation in order to do this month's reconciliation.

Comments

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @david4475,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you describe shouldn't be happening and what you've observed suggests that, somehow, after you've reconciled an Account you're then opening a version of your data file that's before your most recent reconciliation and using that file version instead of the file version with your most recent reconciliation.
    Do you generally find that Quicken only "fails to record" the last month's reconciliation, that this "failure" doesn't extent further back to other months?
    Do you have some sort of procedure or process that you routinely employ with your file after performing the reconciliation that might somehow be the source of the problem?
    I take it that when you go to do a reconciliation of your bank account, (assumed), that you're made aware of the problem because the Account's "Prior balance" as shown in the first reconciliation screen doesn't match the prior balance shown on the bank statement but instead shows the prior balance on last month's bank statement?
    As you probably know, Quicken doesn't store that Prior balance figure but calculates it each time you go to do a reconciliation as the sum of all prior transactions in the Account that have an "R" in the Clr column.  It's hard to imagine that the program would routinely simply fail to record all of last month's "R" transactions, but then somehow "remember" them after you've done last month's reconciliation a second time.  As a matter of "routine" trouble-shooting you could perform a file validation, (if you haven't already), but it seems more likely than not that's not the underlying problem here.
  • david4475
    david4475 Member ✭✭
    @Anja. Thanks, but file validation didn't work.
    @Tom. I backup each time I use Quicken. I am running off the transaction register from my last reconciliation, so I will have it in hand next month. Appreciate your efforts and will let you know next month how I fare.
  • david4475
    david4475 Member ✭✭
    @Anja, @Tom. My apologies for your time! My aging mind must fail to reconcile at the end of each month. No problems this month.
This discussion has been closed.