Is there a way to only have VESTED stock options used in calculating net worth?

Options
I received stock option this year with a new job that vest over 4 years. Is there a way to only have the vested options used in the calculation of net worth? I don't want the unvested options to artificially inflate my net worth since I am not able to exercise them, yet. It would be nice to have the net worth increase as the options vest.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    GI$ said:
    It is entered correctly and the unvested options are included in the net worth.
    Perhaps you have set the date beyond the options vesting dates.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In the Accounts bar, you have a choice to show either the Current balance, which is the balance as of today, or the Ending balance, which is the balance as of the last transaction in each register. Click on the gear at the top right of the accounts bar to see this setting.

You might try changing this setting to see if it shows what you want. The setting affects all accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just an idea ... but how about recording all of the options recorded in their own account and when they Vest, transfer them to another account?  Then, only include the "vested" account in your net worth calculations?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never had employee stock options in Quicken, so I can't vouch for this personally, but Quicken Help implies Quicken is doing the right thing automatically.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I suggest you use brokerage account to track the ISO grants and the vested securities should be included in the calculated net worth.
  • GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
    Unvested options have value in my portfolio and are included in your net worth.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    GI$ said:
    Unvested options have value in my portfolio and are included in your net worth.
    No.  The unvested options should not be value in your portfolio or be included in your net worth.

I suggest you reenter the grants.
  • GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
    What will reentering do? I recently entered them
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Options
    GI$ said:
    What will reentering do? I recently entered them
    I suspect you entered the grants incorrectly because unvested securities should have not value in your portfolio and should not be included in your net worth.
  • GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
    You're wrong. I deleted and reentered the options using the option wizard. As expected, the unvested options show value and are included in my net worth.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GI$ said:
    You're wrong. I deleted and reentered the options using the option wizard. As expected, the unvested options show value and are included in my net worth.
    If you enter the options correctly, the unvested options should not show value and should not be included in your net worth.
  • GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @GI$ perhaps you can provide the details of the employee stock option grant so that others can try to replicate the issue?  

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    GI$ said:
    Perhaps you have set the date beyond the options vesting dates.

• GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
    That works on the net worth report, but the "Ending Balance" at the bottom of the home screen includes unvested options. I am trying to exclude the unvested options from the Ending Balance
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    In the Accounts bar, you have a choice to show either the Current balance, which is the balance as of today, or the Ending balance, which is the balance as of the last transaction in each register. Click on the gear at the top right of the accounts bar to see this setting.

You might try changing this setting to see if it shows what you want. The setting affects all accounts.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • GI$
    GI$ Member
    Options
    That's it! Thank you!