Is there a reason I need R36.38 if I don't use Schwab?

I'm using R36.23 and it's working fine for me. If I do not use Schwab for anything, is there a reason I should download the R36.38 version? With the history of updates breaking things, why would Quicken put this out for everyone to update to if there is no need for it with Schwab. Is it being used as a kind of Beta test?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's entirely up to you, but I will say one thing, the release notes don't tell the whole story.
    The release notes are the "important changes" that they feel they should announce.  It is very clear that they don't capture "all changes".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hasn't it been an ongoing beta test since subscription versions started?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It isn't just a Schwab thing, this is the "new" download backend and Schwab is the first, others will be affected as time goes on.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    mshiggins said:
    Since when was it never been a ongoing beta test with Quicken?

Sure before with the year model you had months of beta, then you had the release and then months of patching, and then they got about April and they stopped not because all the problems were fixed, but because they wanted to start working on the next year.

So sure you were out of "beta" at that point, but now needed to live with whatever was broken until the next yearly release, and hope they actually decided to even work on it, let alone fix it.

And of course all this had nothing to do with the major complaint, as connecting to financial institutions, which for Express Web Connect is just "which ones are broken now" kind of mode.  It can never be "fixed".

So yeah the current model is a continuous beta, but it is in fact one that the users have asked for whether they realize it or not.  You can't ask for continuous improvements, and have a "static/stable program".
    Signature:

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's entirely up to you, but I will say one thing, the release notes don't tell the whole story.
    The release notes are the "important changes" that they feel they should announce.  It is very clear that they don't capture "all changes".
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    It isn't just a Schwab thing, this is the "new" download backend and Schwab is the first, others will be affected as time goes on.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    mshiggins said:
    Since when was it never been a ongoing beta test with Quicken?

Sure before with the year model you had months of beta, then you had the release and then months of patching, and then they got about April and they stopped not because all the problems were fixed, but because they wanted to start working on the next year.

So sure you were out of "beta" at that point, but now needed to live with whatever was broken until the next yearly release, and hope they actually decided to even work on it, let alone fix it.

And of course all this had nothing to do with the major complaint, as connecting to financial institutions, which for Express Web Connect is just "which ones are broken now" kind of mode.  It can never be "fixed".

So yeah the current model is a continuous beta, but it is in fact one that the users have asked for whether they realize it or not.  You can't ask for continuous improvements, and have a "static/stable program".
    Signature:
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna not update until I watch how the new update is working or not working for others. Mine I fine so I'll use it that way!
  • charsage
    charsage Member
    I just updated to R36.38 on my desktop and now it won't auto update any of my accounts. Fortunately, I can still use R36.23 on my laptop and it works fine. I went through this same drill this past July but wasn't smart enough to only update on one PC so all of my data for the year was corrupted and I had to rebuild it from scratch. I learned a lesson. Anyway, that's my story and the moral is clear: DO NOT UPDATE WITHOUT A PLAN.

I recently downgraded to Deluxe...maybe that has something to do with it?!?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    charsage said:
    I just updated to R36.38 on my desktop and now it won't auto update any of my accounts. Fortunately, I can still use R36.23 on my laptop and it works fine. I went through this same drill this past July but wasn't smart enough to only update on one PC so all of my data for the year was corrupted and I had to rebuild it from scratch. I learned a lesson. Anyway, that's my story and the moral is clear: DO NOT UPDATE WITHOUT A PLAN.

I recently downgraded to Deluxe...maybe that has something to do with it?!?
    I highly doubt that R36.38 release is causing your problem.  More likely the install went bad.
    I would try installing the Mondo patch from here:
    Update and Mondo Patch: Subscription Release of Quicken for Windows

It has been my experience that with maybe the exception of one or two times in 25 years that when people say "this release caused this" doing proper testing proves that isn't the case.  As in rolling back to the prior release and showing that it fixes the problem and then patching again to the latest causes the problem again.

And or testing with backup data files to see if the data file has been corrupted in the process of doing the update.

What I do see is may complaints about failed installs because of anti-virus software blocking parts of the install.  Quicken's install copies several executables into ProgramData\Quicken\... and runs them, and that does seem to "not be liked" by several anti-virus programs.
    Signature: