Invoice numbers are not increasing automatically

ggogan
ggogan Member ✭✭
I've noticed I have to manually create invoice numbers. I don't recall the previous number
The system used to increment them each new invoice. Is there a setting I'm missing?
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for your response. 

Yes, some users do create new files and start fresh, however, that is a personal choice though we do occasionally recommend starting over if data corruption is present. 

You can try "shrinking" your data file and copying the data you wish to keep and move forward with by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    @ggogan I apologize for the delay in my response.

After doing some testing, the only way I found that it would be possible to copy invoices is by going into the register, right-clicking a previous entry, and selecting Copy transaction(s).

Then, right-click the new entry (empty) line, and select Paste transaction(s) and press enter on your keyboard to save.

From there, you can right-click the pasted entry and select Form... which will open the invoice for where you can make changes.

However, other than customizing the invoice layout look, I did not find that there is an option to create invoice "templates" that can be used repeatedly and modified as you requested.

Instead, if you wish to request such a feature be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Hello @ggogan,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, if you haven't already, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• ggogan
    ggogan Member ✭✭
    Thanks I will try it. My data file is getting large- from many years. Do people save the file and start fresh? Is there a way within Quicken to do that? It would be great if one could reinstall Quicken and import just the acct settings, connectivity, account names, opening balances, Accts receivable.
    -Geoff
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Thank you for your response. 

Yes, some users do create new files and start fresh, however, that is a personal choice though we do occasionally recommend starting over if data corruption is present. 

You can try "shrinking" your data file and copying the data you wish to keep and move forward with by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will allow you to select a date range to move forward with.

However, it's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect up all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward as the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

• ggogan
    ggogan Member ✭✭
    Thanks Anja- very helpful. I didn't realize Quicken had such good support available. I have another question. I currently have to create each invoice by entering each item- which I have saved. I'd love to enter those billable items into a template invoice so they are already there and all I have to do is enter the quantities. Is there any way to do that - or I'd be happy to copy an invoice from another job and update with the new client and quantities.
  • Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    @ggogan I apologize for the delay in my response.

After doing some testing, the only way I found that it would be possible to copy invoices is by going into the register, right-clicking a previous entry, and selecting Copy transaction(s).

Then, right-click the new entry (empty) line, and select Paste transaction(s) and press enter on your keyboard to save.

From there, you can right-click the pasted entry and select Form... which will open the invoice for where you can make changes.

However, other than customizing the invoice layout look, I did not find that there is an option to create invoice "templates" that can be used repeatedly and modified as you requested.

Instead, if you wish to request such a feature be added in the future, what you can do is create an idea post. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.